Let's talk DIY lights

I agree. Or rather spec sheet shows it 2x4. I was going off a review. So 3 boards $75 plus driver plus heatsink/frame. The kits $457. So lots of ways to beat that price. Honesty idc and idk qb, strips or cobs. I know I want to save money by building it and I want
It to be kickass. Which ever kicks the hardest for the best price and least assembly. Qb board kits look like least work.

How many 4 ft would I need to hit our numbers in the 2x4?

The QB boards will probably be the least work, but it is probably your most expensive option as well. Arrow did have these in stock a couple days ago
SI-B8U261560WW

1 Like

I would have to crunch some numbers. The 1120mm single row strips are 50w and around 33$ and the double row are 100w and around 58$(sorry 61$, the price went up again) from digikey anyway.

1 Like

4ft strips x 4 x $61. $240 plus driver plus heat sink/frame.

Probably wait until @Dbrn32 chimes in and see what he thinks. I know there are multiple options for trying to achieve what you want. Just finding the right one which suits your wants. When I get off I’ll look some things up and try to get you some numbers.

1 Like

Good thing $300 is my budget. Seems like at $200 for 2x4 would be a light ready for an upgrade on day one(I’m doing that already with the vipras- lol :cry:)

2 Likes

Also my apologies, I was going off the sqft of my tent, which is 10sqft (2.5x4). Whereas yours (4x2) is 8sqft. So if you were to do the HLG 260 kit. You would be around 32w sqft. I would just go with the XL heatsink. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Vipra upgrade parts come in this week. Aluminum plate I’ll have made mon or tues. I’ll post pics for it so maybe others that have it can fix it.

2 Likes

Both spec sheets read 2x4 flowering. The 260 is 3x3 or 2x4 the XL is 5x5 or 2x4. Lol. So back to the 260. Parts out the kit vs building something else.
New thought watts. I’m not maxed on the room but ac lights etc add up. The vipers aren’t going down. Lol. So 260w for the kit is ideal.

1 Like

I had the 260 kit in my 4x2 tent and I felt it wasnt enough light, maybe if they were spread out a little better.

1 Like

for a little extra xl it is. The chilled puck on rapidled read 3 pucks for cost 4 for performance. So I’d say this is similar. So xl for performance. Huge area same watts as 1 vipra!

1 Like

I’m busy af this weekend sorry. I agree if you’re going for qb’s xl 260 kit is probably easy solution. It’s not exactly pushing it, but should be ideal for a nice efficient grow.

Depending on exact internal measurements of tent the 1120’s seem like a pain in the ass in a 2x4. There’s not a lot of room to work with frame or anything, and the strips definitely need some support. I also agree 3 chilled pucks would do it going that route. 3 boards, sinks, and hlg-320 would run about $300 right? Figure another &60 for construction materials or so, still under $50 per square foot doesn’t seem like a bad option.

One thing I’ve looked at a few times but always gone a different route. Cdi and future lighting solutions both had some radial sinks for under $10. I would be skeptical to push them hard, but some citi 1212’s or vero 18’s at 700ma or so I’m sure they would fly. You’re talking under $20 per cob there at around 25 watts. I think fv voltage on them would in range at that current to run 8 on hlg-185h-c700a. And then you could plug a couple more in on something like non dimming lpc-100. It’s not going to be much cheaper. But it’s another option as opposed to jamming 4 75 watt cobs in there.

1 Like

I want 2x4. But I’m not in a tent. 6x6 sealed room. 2 modified(soon to be modified) vipra 600. So I thought adding 2x4 would ccomplete my lighting. I’d rather up my game for high performance. Than still need one more light. So the xl makes more sense to me. But I’d want to part it out to save. Unless y’all have an alternative that’s saves enough to be worth the trouble.

Should never have a temp issue. Airconditioned.

You guys have an opinion on far red supplementation. Or use. My understanding( literally one day of searching, first time hearing of it) is that you flower with 13.5/10.5 instead of 12/12 with the red light on for last 2 hours to “put the bud to sleep faster. Idk. How big of a
Room would the chilled initiator do this for. For $50 seems like a cheap future upgrade. Or easy add. Maybe putting red into other vipra? Idk. Thoughts?

You can do it if you have 90 cri without the far red, but HLG doesnt do the QB 288 in 90 cri anymore. Alternatively you can make your own for pretty cheap as well. The QB 18 is a package with photo red and far red added, or you can buy the chilled flower initiator.
You can keep the plants on 12/12 and finish a little bit faster, or increase the lighting. Like you said.
Rapidled sells the XP-E diodes for like 3.50, you could make the flower initiator for pretty cheap as well

1 Like

Is it only on for 2 hours though? Growmaus has a video on how to make it for $20.

No, it’s only on for a couple minutes before and lights out. Maybe 2 minutes on each side, or you will see unwanted stretch. Plants use far red to sense where they are, and if they are in the shade of another tree or not. If you leave it on too long you will start to see Shade avoidance syndrome. You should aim for around 2000-4000 umol of 730nm far red light for the end of day affect.

1 Like

I agree. Dump a couple of 90cri cobs in your space and that will probably take care of any far red benefits.

1 Like