Let's talk DIY lights

Kit one, not 72v cobs, 36v you can snag for like $33. And doesn’t include frame.

Kit two

5 $20-25 cobs,
5 $19 heatsinks
5- $6 reflectors.
1 $84 driver.

Two $10 pieces of aluminum can take place of rails. $6 spool of wire. Probably another $10- $20 in connectors, pads, and pot. They soak you for $50-$100 and you still put together.

In yield potential, probably more like a 600. Without bulb changes and most likely vegging and flowering under 2 different bulbs.

I’m drooling. Can wait to modify it.

I’ll make that light. Can you do part numbers.

I’ve seen some conflicting info that angelina reflectors don’t work with SE poke-in COBs, but RapidLED sells them in a kit. Maybe you have to solder and not use the poke-ins? Better to just buy Vero29 not SE if you’re going to solder? Save a few bucks.

I think they remove all tabs and glue them, but not entirely sure either.

Are we talking from scratch or still modding your vipars?

I’m doing both.

Can I try to hit you up with that stuff tomorrow or something? Kinda buzzed, not a good time to be scrolling data sheets.

I would probably recommend discussing some other options in leds too. If you’re looking for a kick ass build on a budget, you could probably save a little cash going with 4 cxm-22’s running a little stiffer. It’s s little more efficient chip than the vero 29 d, and cheaper.

That’ll work. 2 of for beans sprouted today. So the timeline is out there but I do need to hurry. Vispar mods first then build the light. I’m stoked.

Right on! If you don’t hear from me by tomorrow afternoon, hit me up. I get lost down rabbit holes often.

Can’t wait. Couldn’t sleep last night. Lol.

Don’t get too excited, everywhere turn I run into an issue with clearing voltage on 4 cob setup.

What size is the space these two vipars will end up in after modded?

My room is 6x6 I will fill it as full
As the lights allow. That’s where the build of a 2x4 came in. Seemed to be a good match for the vipras.

They claim to do 2.5x2.5 for flowering now. So if that’s what it gets to I’m good with that.

I thinking 2 vipras that cover 2.5x2.5 and a new build that covers 2x4 would leave enough room in there for all the other stuff. Air filter, dehumidifier, co2 tank, water, fert etc. I have it all in the room.

They’ll be as good or better depending on what we come up with.

I have another idea, but would be using components I’m not as familiar with. Citizen makes a 100v nominal cob, we could alleviate the forward voltage issues by using two of them and two cobs with lower voltage per fixture. Depending on models used, should be able to hit 150-170v per driver that way. The only issue I see is that you’d probably be limited to running fixtures endctocend that way. With the bigger cobs on outside of grow and smaller cobs on inside.

I can’t wait

On the mars to cree conversion growmau5 did there are little red leds . Could that help? Just spitballing

Yup, but it will significantly increase difficulty of your build. If your up for soldering and mounting 20mm stars that would open up a lot of things for you.