Let's talk DIY lights

Wouldn’t the reflector improve the light?

Actually, they waste light in order to condense it into a tighter pattern. As in, none of them are 100% efficient. I think the xw models are around 90% or so. There are situations where they make sense, and those that don’t in my opinion. Based on how tight this fixture is I would probably recommend going without. But that’s up to you.

Yes it was about 4hrs ago, I did say that I would like my seedling/clone space to have just one driver for both boards. Don’t sweat it, you’ve got a lot going on.

No reflector it is then

1 Like

What are the physical measurements on that plate?

@Aolelon Off the top of your head, any of the Samsung 280mm strips good to 700ma? Based off pics I’m not sure if 560’s will fit.

The only 4 cob config I see working is 72v cxb’s, looks like forward voltage will just miss vero 29c. I considered 3 50v cobs per driver, but that would mean one cob wasn’t under a heatsink, and I don’t really like that. I’m currently at 4-5 36v cobs per driver, something like vero 18 or citi 1212 which will keep forward voltage up.

Eb’s will 700ma, just looking at options.

They should be good. Max current for them is 1800mA with test current running 1.12A.
They are 23v. I was also going to suggest not using reflectors to try to maximize your coverage.

1 Like

15” x 12” plate. I was wondering if a qb would fit.

1 Like

You could probably fit two qb’s, the problem there is that low output current wouldn’t really push them much.

You’re interested in something like that though? Samsung f series are essentially mini qb’s, that’s what I was asking @Aolelon about above. They would probably fill out driver space a little better.

Edit… voltage isn’t right on the qb’s either.

1 Like

Correction 12x 14.5”.
What about 2 50v cobs per driver. Wouldn’t that lower my power bill but improve my light?
Idk. Let’s make it easy for everyone. You tell me. I’ll buy it and build it. Lol

2 Likes

Well we have help, so just tossing around different ideas at this point.

Two 50v cobs won’t clear minimum voltage on driver. It would have to be 3.

1 Like

Just to spit ball further. What do drivers cost? I could buy 2 new drivers. They would need to power 2 fans, use those 4 heat sinks and a 12x14.5” plate. I’m sure that makes the numbers easier

1 Like

If you’re going that route, you may as well just grab some qb’s with factory sinks and call it a day. Not to be negative about it or anything, just trying to get you a solid low cost solution that you can be proud of.

I’d be further along if I wasn’t at work. I know for a fact I have a bridgelux eb strip solution that would work. But if I can find something better, then I want you to have that as an option.

2 Likes

The thing about modifying the light is trying to cut costs as much as possible. If you were going to buy new drivers, along with the cobs/strips whatever, I would just ditch the viper light all together, or put it together and keep it, and add it to the space along with what you build

1 Like

Good point. I’ll wait until you can figure out the best option. Thank you for the help.

1 Like

I didn’t realize the 280mm f series were also 40mm wide. Hard to fit them on light that size and utilize driver power.

Q’s are half that but also half the voltage. So same issue.

How big are h influx?

1 Like

The EB Gen 2 strips are .9" whereas the F - Series are 1.5". You would be able to fit a couple more eb than f-series. You beat me to it haha
The Hinflux are 24mm for single row or 41mm for the double

1 Like

So would strips be the best way to go on that sink though? You could fit 8 or so strips on ther hypothetically, but that would only be utilizing 1 driver.
Right?

Well oriented the other way they’ll fit the short measurement, they’re like 11”, so like 15 would fit and it would take 7 to meet minimum voltage requirement. Going that route, I would say 14 going with 7 per driver. You know, if they’re available.

Hiflux would be same layout, although again I just glanced but looked like low voltage on the shortys?

1 Like

I don’t know if I would go with the Hinflux. They have a smaller vf of 11.1 at 1A.

1 Like

Are the fans needed if I’m putting in new leds? Room has shit ton of air movement and an ac unit.

1 Like