Let's talk DIY lights

From looking at it I would guess each switch controls on/off one of the two drivers.

2 Likes

Probably. Both drivers are identical? And I can’t quite tell from pics, are the fans wired in series with leds or are there separate wiring for the fans?

If the fans are in series and we can eat a little of that driver voltage up, you’ll be in business for some vero 29c. If not, I’m going to have to do some digging.

Each fan is hooked to a driver

1 Like

with this driver wouldn’t they have to be wired in series because they are 12v?

1 Like

@dbrn32 I really admire you for all the persons you have helped with your knowledge. Thanks from all of us.

3 Likes

If im not mistaken, To remove the LEDS off the sink, you need to bake it, to heat it up and remove the solder. I am unsure the temperature. I know Growmau5 has a video on how to modify one, I personally haven’t watched it.

1 Like

@Aolelon it looks like a separate circuit coming from driver, but driver label doesn’t suggest it has separate fan section. I’m going to have to go look for that video…

@Newgrwr2018 let me check for that video… I’m at work and my phone battery is about dead. But whatever the removal process is, you’ll need an aluminum plate the size of that pcb most likely so everything will fit neatly back into the case.

I appreciate the kind words! Thank you!

Looks separate. Give me some time to do some research. In the meantime, you can troll YouTube for some really cool light hack ideas.

Also, it doesn’t look like there’s any screws holding the led pcb to the heatsinks?

Heat sinks are glued. I can pop them off. Then drill holes for holders and then new leds. It will probably save time to get a sheet of aluminum rather than remove all the leds . Thank you for all the help.

1 Like

I’m YouTubed out. Lol. From what I see I need 4 lights, 4 holders, 4 reflectors. I then drill or tap and screw and solder it together.

1 Like

I dont think he did a viparspectra, maybe a mars hydro, should be the same princepal

1 Like

It’s confirmed both the QB and Driver have shipped, should arrive by 8/18. All I need is the second driver and additional parts list. I see you have a lot of things on your plate, so don’t rush on me behalf. Although I would like to start on the big project that weekend, provided my items arrive.

1 Like

That’s what I was running into. But the mars lights are held to sink with screws.

I can’t remember if it was here, or a different thread, but I was asking if you wanted one driver for each board in the other space, or to run both boards from a single driver?

I agree, plus that won’t be a solid flat surface after removing leds.

So grab the measurements off the pcb and work on locating a piece of aluminum for now. I need to take a look around and see which leds will make the most sense to run there. You probably won’t have room for the reflectors unless you plan on removing the cover from the case. Is that something you want to do?

Yea that’s what I would do, it would be a lot easier to find a new piece of aluminum.

1 Like