Let's talk DIY lights

I currently have two grow areas, specifically (1) for seedling and clones and (2) for vegetative and flowering growth.

Details (1): 5’H x 2’W x 2’D [Separated into 2 grow areas 2.5’ x 2’ x 2’]
These spaces are arranged vertically top and bottom in the grow area. Top space has one ViaVolt 4 Bulb 2’ T5 Fluoresent 6500K fixture and it’s purpose is for growing clones. The lower space is for germanating and contains one fixture holding a spiral 65W(300W EQ) CFL 6500K.

Details (2): 5’H x 4’W x 2’D
This space is entirely dedicated for full growth of two plants. It contains three ViaVolt 4 Bulb 2’ T5 Fluoresent fixtures which hold an alternating mixture of 8 6500K and 8 2700K fluoresent bulbs. Also placed in each of the four corners is a 23W(100W EQ) T2 CFL 2700K.

I’ve been utilizing this setup for the past 7 years, it started out as a frugal hobby, but I realize how much I enjoy it. Not just reaping the fruits of my labor but the growing process itself. After reading all the new innovations on the forums, I thought it was time I caught up. Would also like to streamline and reduce the amount of fixtures (and cost/consumption) I currently utilize. I would like to say that cost is not a factor, but I do have a budget of $500. Can you help?

Just so I have a good understanding, space 1 is divided into two separately lit spaces both running something like a veg light schedule?

And space 2 is pretty standard 2x4 with 5’ height?

Do you have something specific in terms of leds you were already looking at? If you’re looking to do the veg spaces, linear pcb mounted mid power diodes or something like qb 120 will be way to go for them. The 2x4x5 you could do whatever you want there. The good news is we can probably kick the snot out of fluorescent and save you some power too.

Well after following a few forums, I was thinking that a couple of LED strips would suffice for space 1. For space 2, I liked the fixture that MattyBear (DIY Light 2x2) created and was thinking something like that.

Sure. I did a tutorial on that light, I can tag you there. The one thing I’ll caution is that driver is now sold out just about everywhere. Maybe we set a trend lol.

You can certainly look around and see what you come up with. Altering the driver and amount of strips would definitely be an option.

Remember that arrow has the single row 3500k strips in stock right now for pretty cheap, if you cant find the EB gen 2 strips

2 Likes

Yup! They’re on the list, as in bouncing around in my melon haha.

Been scoping the thread and my gosh so many choices, I don’t think I can make a decision. Should I go qb board, led strips or is COB a better alternative!? Been meandering through HLG on Amazon and there are a few of options. Your opinions on HLG 65 QB LED and HLG 100 QB LED or how about 2xQB288 board and 4xQB120 board. From what I gather the QB board will require a power supply? Tag your it! Based on the information I provided, what would you suggest be my best solution. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty and know how to read a diagram and not afraid of a soldering iron. Although a HLG kit looks to be pretty simple.

1 Like

We certainly couldn’t pick on any of hlg’s products. Their results pretty much say everything that’s needed.

I really don’t like nudging anyone in a specific direction unless I feel like they’re missing something big, and we’re definitely not there yet. I would say the biggest difference would come down to price, what you like, and how complex or simple you want.

Here’s an example based on you mentioning the smaller qb’s. They’re available in 4 packs pretty cheap on amazon. I seen specifically a batch of qb 132 in 3500k available 8/22. If you grabbed that 4 pack, you could use 2 boards (1 each layer) for your veg space, and then take the other 2 boards and put them in your flower space. Obviously the two 132 boards isn’t enough to flower a 2x4 with, so would require some other lighting. For that matter, you could do something very similar with a 4 pack of the 4000k qb 120’s.

A single xl 260 kit would do your flower space well, and we could come up with something with 280mm strips pretty easily for your veg spaces. Or, you could do strips in all your spaces maximizing the use of the thermal transfer tape and spool of wire you’ll need.

I would say you definitely don’t want to put cobs in your veg space. Other than that, it’s all pretty much the same to me. You can probably take advantage of a quantity discount on 280mm strips and do both spaces with them. Driver availability would be biggest potential issue there.

2 Likes

I like this idea, so 1 board for germination, 1 board for early vegetation/clones and 2 or more for flowering. If I were to buy two 4 packs, is that something we could work with? Would I need to purchase addition items, does each board require a driver? I see that Amazon also has variety of Mean Well LED power supplies, do I need something like that?
Just curious, in my mind I’ve been assuming that dbrn was an acronym for Durban. But I noticed, as I am also from the midwest (NE Ohio) that it could be Dearborn. If so howdy neighbor!

1 Like

Go with one of those nicknames Rob! Lmao

2 Likes

No reference to anything like that in my screen name, but I am from the Midwest. Just a hop, skip, and really long jump west along I80 and you’d be within walking distance.

I suppose you could do that with qb 132’s. They’re like 12”x9” if I converted 300mm x 225mm in my head correctly? You’d have to configure them 3 boards wide by 2 boards deep to fit.

If that sounds good, there’s definitely some other items you’ll need. Drivers, Power cords for drivers, a spool if hookup wire, some connectors should take care of the electrical side. Other than that, you’ll want to build some sort of frame to keep everything together and be able to hang them, at least for your flower tent. Most of use 1/8” aluminum angle, something like 3/4-1”. I’ve seen a lot of stuff used though, so you can definitely use your imagination if you have access to other materials.

I can look at driver configurations for that or any other setup. But if you’re going with boards like that I would highly suggest waiting until you get shipping confirmation on the boards. They have a tendency to sell out quickly. If that happens, different leds would likely need different drivers.

So Durban is my new favorite strain then, we’ll go with that from here out haha!

2 Likes

durban poison is on my short list of strains to try!

Durban sounds good to me Rob! Lol.

1 Like

A 2x3 grid should fit nicely in that space, as it is my fluorescent lights are in a 1x3 grid (23"x13"). So that’s the plan two 4 packs, is there a certain light spectrum? I see that they have 3000k, 3500k and 5000k, maybe a mix spectrum.

Are they all available in qb 132? You could probably get one 4 pack in 3500-4000k and one in 3000k. We would then use 2 of the 3500-4000k in the starting space, and mix the other 2 with the 4 3000k boards in flowering space.

No need to go up to 5000k though.

Arrow had a 30% off first order deal going…

How about working on the flowering space only and leaving the fluorescents in the veg space…

2 Likes

That’s an option too.

1 Like

I would keep the 65 watt CFL for the seedling and clone space. You’re not going to spend that much for electricity to run it, and 65 watts is plenty for those little guys. Replace the T5’s and you could lower your electric bill and get better buds. Buy more strips or boards than you need running at max, and then dim them to get the efficiency up. You can almost double the efficiency of T5s if you don’t run your LEDs hard. You can look at the datasheet for any light emitter you are thinking of and see how much light they put out at various drive currents.

1 Like

I hope I didn’t make a mistake, I got a bit excited about this project. While at work I blindly purchased from Amazon these available items (1 each).

The QB132 were not in stock and not knowing any better I got these. Are we able to work with these? Delivery is expected 8/17 should I cancel my order?