Let's talk DIY lights

How much power did the other light consume?

137w, based on current drawn at a nominal 230vac

1 Like

And you pulled around 100 grams wet?

Yup, could have and should have been more but I was underwatering

2 Likes

@dbrn32 do you or ya know someone that can help me rate a driver for these? I have 12 of these 3000, 3500k mix given by a friend. They are 80+ cri, 1000 lmn per produced by hubbel lighting My glass cob reflectors fit perfectly over them? Idealy i would run 6 off the same driver. Im getting 2 12x15 heatsinks off old Mc donalds speakers and was thinking two diy quantum type lights could be made. I googled searched all the different numbers, no luck. Im sure its all on the board i just dont know how to read it hahaha. Im guessing these would work ok? They came from can lights??? I have built a couple cobs, thats as far as my experience takes me…

3 Likes

Is there anything on the back of them?

2 Likes

Assuming you already tried to track down the part number that’s under “hubbell lighting” ?

I’m sure we can get some drivers if we find the voltage and current data. If not, I wouldn’t stress it too much. You can get a little more flux out of the 280mm eb strips in the $3 range.

1 Like

I just looked and couldn’t find anything as well. Their website has the same type of light engines, but look to be updated. This looks to be an older product.

1 Like

Could possibly try going about it backwards. Ask the friend what they came out of and go to the manufacturer of that.

1 Like

I emailed them and this is the info they gave me. I’ll look through it.

1 Like

I see 700mA and it’s a 12w light so I’m assuming 17v or around that.

1 Like

Shit, nice work!

Makes sense, more than likely an 18v nominal board and I would guess the market things like Cree 1512, luminous cxm-9, and such target.

Not ideal to go off thumb eyeball for driver loading purposes, but I bet would work if we hit right around the middle of constant current range. Would give headroom in either direction. Safe play would be hlg-185h-c700a for 12. But I’d be willing to bet all 12 would run on hlg-120h-c700a.

2 Likes

I emailed them back, just to confirm the voltage, but that sounds about right.

1 Like

Do you have the housing they came in?

Sorry to go back to this, but I just did another load check with my better, calibrated, multimeter and the new light pulls 0.5A at an actual 232v.

Since Watts=Amps x Volts that means the new one pulls slightly LESS than than the old one and gives more insofar as Lux goes.

Certainly enough for one plant, imo, especially as it can happily hang so close as pics elsewhere show. Sure, we can do better, but not at that price. And, if anyone feels like it, I reckon it definitely be a potential solution for stealth cabinet/bucket/etc grows…

$35 bucks? Sounds damn nice

1 Like

Plus some bits and pieces lying around, call it 40 since my prices were in Euros

I want to maybe hang 100W cobs in the corners of my flowering tent. " I cant spent $100 a piece for them"
Will I need a power supply, if no can I just run 1 for all 4?
What kind of heatsink/fan DIY options do you guys run
What the best color to run?
Reading all the DIY light posts here I feel that I cant call myself a Master Gardener till I’ve built my own LED’s
Thanks
Maybe two of theses per corner with some kind of fan/heatsink
https://www.amazon.com/Awakingdemi-Spectrum-Indoor-Plant-Growth/dp/B07DHQ4LB4/ref=sr_1_36?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1532098201&sr=1-36&keywords=DIY+cob+led+grow+light

3 Likes

You dudes rock @dbrn32 @Aolelon Im not super savy in the diy light area. Lol. So would the hlg 240h-c700b work? Can you go bigger? What does it do if you do? Less efficient? And the million dollar question? Is it even worth doing a build with these leds? I would end up with a 3000-3500k mix light at around 11,000 lumens. (Pretty similar to a quantum board) I can put glass reflectors over each one of these. The only isuue i see with the reflectors is it creates like a spotting pattern? ?? This is the driver feom the light. I would like to run 12 of these with one driver. Thanks for the help guys

2 Likes

See those drivers I posted above? That’s more of what you’re looking at, the hlg-240 would have exact same output and you would possibly be flirting with not enough voltage to fire the driver.

You’re borderline with whether or not would be worth doing in my opinion. Not sure where you came up with the comparison to qb? Your leds have about half the efficacy of qb.