Let's talk DIY lights

@dbrn32 so I pull the trigger for that hlg-600 v2 :+1::+1::+1: will keep you posted thanks for all the help

6 Likes

Awesome!!!

1 Like

@FrostySlothy figured we would discuss your build here. We’re working with a 3x3 tent, and you want to grow seed to harvest in the same tent right?

4 Likes

Fish on!!! :fishing_pole_and_fish:

5 Likes

Yes I have 2 - 3x3 tents and would like to have a perpetuous harvest . Right now I have 2 blue dreams n a gold leaf in they’re 3rd wk of flower in the one tent. The other tent I have a gorilla glue and power plant in they’re 5 wk of vegg.im working with 4 - 300 watts marshydro (3 flowering and the one vegging) . I know desperately need stronger lights so I came across with the Electric Sky product and would like to build something similar

1 Like

If you want something similar, strips would be the way to go with that. Sourcing them is the only problem. Arrow and digikey have a hard time keeping them in stock

2 Likes

This the one you have, @FrostySlothy?

https://www.amazon.com/MarsHydro-Spectrum-Hydroponic-Indoor-Growing/dp/B00XC3LBI2?tag=greenrel-20

So right now you are running 3 of those in flower and one in veg. They each consume 130w I think? I didn’t go look but I think that’s around the right number. A 3x3 tent is 9 square feet… minimum LED wattage would be between 35-50 watts, and 130 * 3 = 390w. 390 divided by 9 is 43.3 watts per square foot.

Seems like you have enough light for the flower tent. I think you could finish your current plants and get good results.

I’d be inclined to think a single 130ish watt blurple panel could veg a 3x3 without a problem, too.

@TDubWilly don’t you use the MarsHydro 300w lights?

4 Likes

Yep That’s the one. You think I should get 2 more? 1 for flowering and the other to vegg

No I don’t think that! Haha. If you are going to invest in MORE lights then I would plan on replacing those with something more efficient. @MattyBear grows in a 3x3 and has a QB in one - I think he could probably shed some light on this.

3 Likes

Sorry I don’t help 49ers fans, Go Hawks! Lol. Just playin. I’d do what @dbrn32 suggested and finish this round of flower since they’re in week 3 and change them out for with the QB’s or strips next round. That way you will also be able to see the difference in light, quality of buds and yield.

4 Likes

Hahaha it’s going b good season for the west .ok I’ll wait for till they’re done . In mean time I’ll like to have list of materials I’m goin need to build the light . I’ve been doing my research on the DIY lights but so many numbers to look out for its confusing lol🤯. I jus need someone here to tell me what I need so I can start working on it while have time

3 Likes

I feel you man. It can be like trying to learn a new language. @dbrn32 would be able to tell you part numbers and all that much better than I could.

2 Likes

Yep that’s who I’m waiting on. @dbrn32 is a busy man ,he deserve a raise lol. Hey thanks for breaking down the lights wattage for me.very helpful. :v:
GO NINERS! lol

1 Like

I can’t like that because of the last 2 words lol! Rob will be by at some point. He’s definitely a busy and in high demand kinda guy!

3 Likes

Here, sorry for the delay and thanks for help @MattyBear @Bogleg @Aolelon.

I think depending on how labor intensive you’d like build process to be, a 2 qb 288 kit would be about as easy you can get. May cost a couple bucks more then Han doing a strip build, but as pointed out the parts are in high demand and difficult to get sometimes. Something like the version 2 260w xw kit is designed specifically for 3x3 and ships for like $358. That’s about as efficient as a grow light you can buy right now. Still cheaper than 1 of those other lights you were looking at. For an extra $25 they’ll assemble and test so you just hang and plug in. Assembly pretty easy though, there’s a YouTube video tutorial you can follow along.

If you want to grab all the parts to do something with the strips I can take a look around to see what’s available. I’ll just have a few questions. Like if you want dimming, a single fixture or 2 smaller fixtures to have some adjustability, and probably a few more as we go.

I agree with the others too. Would go after a light to flower with and use what you have to veg with for now.

7 Likes

I highly recommend the Quantum Board kit Rob just pointed out. That’s the one I use, but have the version 1, so this one is the newer version of mine.
I also have a strip light and am building another one, so I’m all for both. But I do think the QB kit is something you will not be disappointed with. :v:

4 Likes

I did a 'strip build with Rob’s help but I had a supply of scrap aluminum I could use for heatsinks. The fixtures I built replaced 1,400 watts of blurple lights with 720 watts (I haven’t run them over 600) and have lower temps, lower electric bills, much better PAR values and more lumens on the plants than I did before.

5 Likes

Go for the qb light as they got me hooked and by far this is my best grow ever from start to finish

2 Likes

Here’s another way to look at it…
Strips - more labor intensive
QB Kit- can be no labor to a little labor if putting together yourself. It’s easier to get everything you need in one package and don’t have to source materials from different places.
Again… I love both options, just putting this info out there :v:

3 Likes

@dbrn32 yes I would like a dimmer as I’m gonna b using both tents for vegg/flower . As far as how many light fixtures I’m not sure . I’m looking for a light/lights that’ll give me 300-500 par even in the corner of the tent as the light I mentioned do and that was pulling 300 watts from the outlet