Let's talk DIY lights

I don’t know if that’s any better than the osram ssl or cree he’s. But I would bet it plays some significance in the pcb layout.

1 Like

It’s on par with cree

I’d have to look, but I thought I seen them around 4 umol/joule. Sounds about right, here is ssl 120 hyper red

1 Like

Yea I know Osram is at the top of the game atm.

I’ve been paying attention! My flower tent has been in the 80s with lights on the entire time.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure those hyper reds have been around a while. As far as led tech is considered anyway, 6 months is a long time lol. I’m pretty sure there is at least a bin if not 2 higher on the xpe-he too than the reference quotes. I suspect the joint venture between cree and osram to get competitive in the mid power line has probably consumed them s little

Awesome! I need to be careful about using terms like everyone and nobody haha.

You feel like you’re getting positive results?

1 Like

Yes - much better bud density for one. We’ll see how the next plant does and have a better idea, but I’m happy with how things are progressing right now.

Sweet! I was operating mostly off of what I had discovered on my own, and a few opinions I’ve seen in random threads. So hate to be caught talking out my ass. I went and found the article @Aolelon mentioned and makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

Well, that research at the Blackdog site backs up what you’ve been saying. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sure is nice when it works out like that!

4 Likes

I do really like their breakdown of the different lights too for leaf temperature. from t-5 to white LED and HPS, Really paints a picture of what you need to do with the different types.
And yea 6 months does seem like a long time when talking with LED tech. I mean in such a short time its come such a long way. I wonder if a Moore’s law type of thing would apply to them.

2 Likes

Definitely. There was a time that you’d see 10% increases from one generation to next. Now it’s more like 3% usually. And they’re shifting spectrum to green to get it.

4 Likes

New light fixture I’m working on for my tent…2 3000k v2 QB288s smd 2 4000k v2 QB 288s. I’ll be adding a 24w Agromax Pure UV tube and fixture in the middle,
Along with the 730nm red diodes in between that and the QBs. On differdifferent aluminum heatsinks, the UV fixture will be inside of 3" Uchannel. Powered by 2 HLG 240h-C2100A

9 Likes

Are you switching the UV separately too?

2 Likes

Yea, the uv will be on a seperate timer. I wont start using it till about a week before flower

3 Likes

That fixture is gonna be dope!

3 Likes

Very interesting Black Dog podcast. One thing it suggests is that you really should use some heat mirror glass in front of your HPS lamp to cut the far infrared. But looking at the spectra of HPS, MH, and T5 looks really sad. I decided not to grow during summer to cut down air conditioning costs. (And the fact that I have all the Blue Dream I need for a whole year in jars.) But maybe I can grow in an 84 F chamber with not much air conditioning cost.

Nice to hear somebody else say that yellow and green light conversion to red makes heat, and a watt being a watt if it’s from LED or any other light source.

2 Likes

The problem with that is putting a thermometer 12” below a 150 watt hps bulb and 12” below a decent 150 watt led light in a tent with exhaust tells a different story, doesn’t it.

And we would never expect a light manufacturer to say absolutely anything to make their light seem superior right?

Here’s lie #1

Here’s lie number #2

Here is third party test data for that specific black dog light

Here is third party test data for de gavita.

Don’t get me wrong, I 100% agree with the info on led temps. But little ol’ me has been saying that since I joined here a year ago. My broke ass just doesn’t have the means or interest to prove it. Almost makes me wonder where they come up with this stuff, maybe I deserve a plug and cited lol.

I use to feel kind of bad putting products on blast. I want everyone to be successful. But not because they lie, I’d rather they put up or shut up. Instead of spending the money on r&d and making a competitive product, it’s way easier to keep using dated products and say they’re better than everything else.

5 Likes

Their 3rd party test is fishy anyway. The website that its published on is owned and ran by Blackdogled. When I asked em about this they could provide no info to the 3rd party company and instead referred me to the videos which showed their lights hanging in a grow room.

1 Like