Let's talk DIY lights

Either one would do fine. When I bought components the plan was to run in my 2x2. Veg primarily with qb and dim cobs, then do opposite for flower. Light will fit in 2x2 barely, but needs to go in 3x3.

3 Likes

I guess I can use the cheap Chinese lights for veg. I hate to get rid of Frankenstein though.

I’ll bet you laugh every time you see it. It’s an old picture. I replaced the 3000k spots with 4000k 15 watt LED bulbs with the diffuser removed of course.

5 Likes

I dig it my man! I like stoner ingenuity, doesn’t have to cost a lot or be latest and greatest for me to be a fan. The only thing negative I think when I see stuff like that, is that if you can throw something like that together, you could’ve probably built something better for not a lot more money. But we’ve all been there lol.

Yeah if I’d only known what I know now. I would have a QB setup in the veg room. That light cost me $36 for the sockets and $12 for the spots. Got them at Habitat for $1 each and bought 2 cases of them. They go for $5-$10 a piece in a regular store. I already had the t5s but I spent $125 for all 5 last year. The same light is now $50 each. It seems that when they’re in veg, just give them decent and the right spectrum light and they won’t stretch. Flower is a whole different story. They want really good light if you want really good yield.

1 Like

You got it. If you don’t have a lot of photons, you definitely wanna make up for it with more blue light spectrum.

You didn’t do too bad on the light then. If you had bought at anywhere near retail would’ve been different story. No big deal though, I learned hard way, most of us do. I try to find a way to throw it out that a little more money up front will go long a way. But I don’t wanna be an ass about it either, and most people don’t wanna hear it. Such is life haha.

1 Like

Well I used to drag race and I got to talk to Bob Glidden about it and he asked me “how fast do you want to go and how much money do you have?” The same holds true with this stuff. You can spend a little money and get little yields which is fine if it’s for yourself and you’re smoking it. I need much more because smoking doesn’t do enough for the pain and I do edibles.
So the long and short of it is I need good Lights.

4 Likes

Well said my friend!

1 Like

Update on power draw, both drivers wide open. Should be about 130 from qb and 160 from cobs.

6 Likes

Look at the cobbler’s son now!! :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Hahaha, thanks! There really wasn’t enough work remaining for me to fool around that long. And I’m glad I got it finished, I have a bunch of parts showing up soon.

2 Likes

No rest for the wicked! Had day off work and this is what happens. @1BigFella will be happy I got some reflectors :wink:

11 Likes

I love this @dbrn32 which LED did you end up with, citizens?

2 Likes

There’s a couple of citi 1818’s here, but those are luminous cxm-9’s. The 18 volt ones I linked a few months ago that were around $3.

I have a few random strips laying around too. I’m just taking some measurements and trying to get some ideas right now. But these will most likely end up on a light for that grow box if I build it.

2 Likes

Here are citi clu-048-1818 @Covertgrower. Hoping we’ll get up close and personal with them within the next couple of weeks.

Waiting on splayed heatsinks to come off the boat lol. And trying to work a bulk purchase on some drivers in meantime.

4 Likes

Reflectors are just another tool in our toolbox. I actually have some Vero29Bs that I have reflectors for, but don’t want to use them right now because I need more spread. The buds would probably burn up if I put the reflectors on.

1 Like

Ya, I was just messin with you. Figured you’d be happy to see me with some is all. I got measurements I needed and have them all boxed up now, but will get some reference pics for size next time I take em out. Les is about the size of dime, cute little buggers. I figured they could probably use the help. Was funny ordering though. Chip holder, reflector, and mount ran about $7 per cob shipped. I splurged because I got cobs for free. But would’ve been under $3 each if I had purchased.

I have to get my rear in gear here. It’s tough though with having so much going on. I need to get some lights together so after settling, all I have to do is open a box. Everything looks great though. They should make some light for you. I look forward to seeing this come together.
I would like to get lighting for approximately another 4x4 tent for veg, with the capability to flower just in case. Do you think quantum board is a good way to go for that? Or 6 cobs?
I probably should make it strictly veg, to keep the wattage requirements low. Just bouncing ideas around here. @dbrn32
(Recreational is set to be on the ballot in MI BTW yeah!!)

2 Likes

Nice!

To be honest, I’d set the cash aside and not worry about moving it lol. To keep power low and mostly be for veg, probably a few ways you can go. What about a four pack of qb 120’s running 50-60 watts per board? I think they were $130 maybe? I’d have to check drivers, but I’m guessing on the cheap you could do it $40is bucks. Put possibly something like hlg-185 or 240 if you want the full dress. Probably 4000k. Quick frame and such should be able to do it around $250.

Just an idea anyway. I’m sure we could make about anything work. I can bust out the bubbler and bottle of Jim beam and get back to you if we need to get real creative haha.

You could always get four 4000 K COBs for veg and then later add four more 3000 K COBs and driver if you decide to flower. When you change the timer to 12/12, you just turn on the 3000 K light as well. Just a thought.

You could even build it like a bigger version of dbrn32 latest light but not populate the 3000 K’s yet.

1 Like

Would be easy enough to tweak to 4000k light into a flowering machine if need be I agree. At that point, the light spectrum wouldn’t necessarily be as big of deal as only having 200-250 watts of light. But would be no reason to do away with, simply giving her a little boost would do.