Let's talk DIY lights

Bridgelux would probably work just fine. I was just surfing and I wanted look into some strips as a fun project later. I’ll check those other sources. I knew amazon would be terrible.
I was working on a LED light fixture at work, the driver failed and it thought it would be great to find the strips they put in the light. Never found them. So I thought I would ask where you guys found them. Acuity brand light uses the Samsung chips.

4 Likes

I seeent then before. Someone was selling used strips in bulk on fleabay. Enough that I bet you could find someone somewhere that has a grow light with them. Which means we can find specs more than likely, and probably do something with them. Good find!

3 Likes

Well, after poking around a bit, I found out that 90CRI is an option for those strips, so that’s something to look for. When the LED’s were partially lit, the first thing I noticed was some were different colors. So it’s a blended led strip just like HLG boards. Even better! @dbrn32

3 Likes

There’s a few of them that offer 90cri, but most are really low powered or expensive.

@dbrn32 Okay so these are interesting I found randomly. Basically very large quantum boards, but from alibaba. 800 on a board. I wouldn’t know where to begin for driver options. It shows them growing some plants. Lol
Just sharing. Think it would work?

4 Likes

If you cruise around Alibaba they’re not the only ones you’ll find. Look through description for voltage and current ratings, or fill out the thing to contact seller and get them. If you can get them I’ll be happy to help a brotha find a driver.

4 Likes

@dbrn32 @MattyBear @Covertgrower @MAXHeadRoom

thought you might want to know that I got my electric bill yesterday: it went down $50 over the previous month and my lights were on more than the month before.

My wife is happy haha!

10 Likes

Happy wife= happy life right? At savings of $50 per month there’s probably all sorts of cool stuff you can get into.

6 Likes

I lied: it was a $60 savings.

4 Likes

That’s even better! Once you get a little more time with them and figuring out heights and stuff you should be just as impressed with quality and yields too.

I am a qb convert… this thing is super bright (and that’s a large understatement)

8 Likes

I saw you and @dbrn32 up late last night putting this thing together. That was you, right? Great job! Welcome to the wonderful world of QBs!

3 Likes

Yep that was me!! He provided superb assistance :+1: Truly, I would not have attempted it without knowing he could walk me through it. I feel empowered!! :star_struck:

5 Likes

I chickened out of building my own. I had them put it together for me - I’m a %$##@.

3 Likes

Nonsense! I’ve done quite a lot of tinkering, having been a single mom and home owner I was forced to do things I might not have otherwise attempted (to save a buck, which I didn’t have anyway) I’ve replaced kitchen and shower faucets, and a dishwasher and a radiator. I did draw the line at toilet repair :grimacing:

5 Likes

Lol, I’ve never done toilet repair either. I used to do a lot around the house, even build stuff - my degree is in architecture, but now I’m just too lazy. It’s just easier to have someone else who knows what they’re doing do it.

4 Likes

@raustin I talked myself into building another LED strip light with @dbrn32 - I agree @GreenThunder it’s very empowering! The QB board will be ordered on Friday (I hate bi-weekly pay periods :money_mouth_face:).

7 Likes

It took me a while to get the nerve to build one and I’m glad I did!

6 Likes

Yeah, I should have done it myself. Maybe the next one.

3 Likes

Now that it’s there in front of you, doesn’t look as intimidating does it?

2 Likes