Let's talk DIY lights

You should give it a try!

1 Like

I just might but it will be a couple grows from now. Next run is already planned out.

1 Like

Not much of a scrog guy myself. I’d probably like it better in hydro, but doubt I’ll be doing anything like that soon. But if you feel it would work out well there’s only one way to know.

1 Like

I was tucking and tying to the SCROG net like crazy for a while there. I thought the tops would bud after they turned upward, but they then grew another three feet! The net was absolutely full so I had to stop but it didn’t do much to control my height. But at least it got all the buds to be about the same height. That’s useful.

2 Likes

Yea have some autos coming but I have one of my skunks budding now and figure I bring her in to finish since days are only getting longer

So @dbrn32
What kind of options am I lookin at
Direction on where to find the parts to build one?

Very cool
Ha!!

Quantum boards come from horticulture lighting group, are also available on Amazon. I believe timber grow lights and cobkits both stock the 288 boards as well.

If you’re looking for a kit, growerslights is probably the place to go.

For cobs, drivers, and other random build stuff i have used digikey, arrow, mouser, rapid led, cdi web, kingbrite on alibaba, and future lighting solutions all before.

2 Likes

Been so busy. I will let you know once I go through them.

1 Like

Any of you guys that use ir guns? I’m sure I’ve mentioned around here before, but you need to be mindful of how you use them.

4 Likes

I have one that I use around the house. The detector won’t see certain materials like aluminum. But it’s the best for measuring oil.

1 Like

Yessir! I seen (somewhere else thank god) them being pointed at actual illuminated leds. Thought myself someone could be potentially learning a difficult lesson.

They’re great tools, just have their limitations.

1 Like

I bought the one I have years ago when I was futzing around with a shot maker and needed to determine lead temperatures. It wouldn’t record lead either. If I set a steel washer on the surface it read that just fine. I get weird readings on hot aluminum. Really it’s a matter of the spectrum range of the IR detector. Noticed the same thing with range finders: my older Leupold won’t read through a car window but the newer ones do.

1 Like

Sounds about right. Even the cheap ones like I have are pretty accurate in things they’ll measure properly. I think it was around $25. But not as versatile as my fluke temp probe. Obviously, on a whole different price level.

1 Like

It’s the best kitchen tool going if you use olive oil or peanut oil in cooking. I have a world class fried chicken recipe and temperature is the key to getting it right. The IR thermometer is my secret weapon lol.

4 Likes

You sharing that recipe? Lol!

2 Likes

Guess that answers that. @Covertgrower @OldSkunk @Nepa

3 Likes

IR thermometers: Pointing one right at a lit LED or COB is obviously not going to work. You would think that turning off the power and then taking a reading would work, but some circuits will actually slightly illuminate the LEDs as the capacitors discharge. This can last for several minutes! That’s going to throw your thermometer reading off. Within seconds the junction temperature of the LEDs will equilibrate with the heat sink.

I found the best way to measure aluminum heat sink temperatures is to stick a meat thermometer between the fins and let it equilibrate for a while!

2 Likes

@dbrn32 I think they should discount the boards. When purchased without a sink or driver. What if I don’t want the heat sink they provide? Just saying. The others were sold that way.
The 324 is $225 for just two and the sink is included?

2 Likes

Yup. They use to be sold individually too. Not really sure what the deal there is? Perhaps they’ve gotten to the point they feel people are going to buy them anyway?

I do feel the price on heatsinks is pretty fair. I quick search of them shows not a large selection readily available in that size. Going custom cut is something like $2 per inch. So already more expensive without anno or being drilled and tapped. I don’t have an issue doing that stuff, but I’d even pay a couple more bucks to not have to.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Could always shoot them an email and see if they’ll create ticket without sinks.

2 Likes