Let's talk DIY lights

You and I both!

1 Like

Ya, no kidding!

1 Like

now that is fancy there!!

1 Like

The extra $5 on project box and a couple of dimmers upping my game haha. Thank you sir!

4 Likes

Holy Crap I’d Have so many Question’s on that
Here’s My new Project to use grow tent

3 Likes

@raustin

Dang did not even see those pic’s Just seen the board,
What does/Is quantum boards?
And what are the Digital thing’s do?

1 Like

I know, right? Lol, don’t even get started. I got talked into buying a quantum board cause they seem so much better than an LED. But @dbrn32 is the person to talk to if you’re interested.

1 Like

Does that go on top or bottom? Thing looks Heavy

1 Like

It’s not as heavy as it looks. I believe it’s made of aluminum, it goes above like regular lights.

1 Like

Quantum boards are generally used as overhead lighting. The current large board uses 288 Samsung 561c diodes in s6 bin. Up until late last year it was the most efficient led available in any market. Now there are something like 2 better by 1-2 lumens per watt. I think you can get one of them in a similar styled board from cutter electronics, if you import from Australia. Basically, the qb is still the best bang for your buck. At standard current the 3000k is still almost 180 lumens per watt. And they are much easier to assemble than anything cob based. @MattyBear @MAXHeadRoom @Kcdaniels and @Onlythebest79 and others are all using them. Click on their names then go check their threads out. They’re all crushing it, even with as little as 25-30 watts per square foot.

I dig the solar setup! What do you have there as far as power, batteries, and lights?

6 Likes

The quantum boards are extremely light! The light I pictured above is a little custom deal I’m working on for myself. That will be a 4000k qb surrounded by four cree cxb3590 in 3000k 90cri. Basically, led nerd type stuff is what I generally call it. It’s much heavier than a qb, but not too bad. I’ll get a final weight when it’s finished.

3 Likes

See @Rick3, I told you. Now he’s gonna talk you in to building one and it’s gonna sound so amazing that you’re gonna get hooked! :grin:

7 Likes

It’s like jiggling a little worm while fishing haha!

5 Likes

Yep, listening to you talk about lighting is… addicting.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think! Lmao!. I take just as much away from everyone else, and the things they’re doing. So I’m pretty happy to have something to contribute.

3 Likes

Solar panel’s 25w each, max 100w ( 4 panel’s)
LED Read out
will run Light (2 there) 168 hours
Laptop 34h
frig 34h
TV 84h
I Can not find what the bulbs are, It Has to be a DC bulb right now, A AC bulb will not work
So either have to build a inverter from DC to AC or buy 1

Or Can I Just use those for Now? the tent is 3’x3’x5’?

And I can’t remember where or what thread it said white LED Bulds are better then other’s?

1 Like

@Rick3 you’re correct, white LED’s offer the best light spectrum for plants. @dbrn32 can give a more detailed answer than I can though.

2 Likes

General consensus is that you get better plant response under a white light source. But that’s probably to do with a smoother transition between wavelengths and more even spectral distribution. I’m not exactly where to point you for the best explanation of the science end though. Scientifically, an argument can be made both ways. But it sure seems that plants under white lights do pretty damn good.

Can you get any info on the lights you have? Based on the power numbers you posted, they’re probably a little shy of having the proper energy to flower that space. You’re looking at needing about 250 watts or so of the best leds available. 100 watts of solar panels would run almost half that in ideal sun.

3 Likes

Not to mention that 100 watts of solar panels only gives you about 500 watt hours per day on average over the whole year. Better in summer and worse in winter. To run 250 watts of lights for 18 hours a day, you need 4500 watt hours per day. That would take about 900 watts of solar panels and only work from March 22 to September 22. If you want to run the rest of the year, you need even more.

If you run grid-tied then that’s all you need. If you want to run on batteries, you would need say 4 large deep cycle batteries at about $150 each. And then that is just one day’s worth of power. If it’s ever cloudy you need even more batteries to give you some backup.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s problem with off grid energy. You need to pay heavily for your buffer, as opposed to being on grid and just paying for your power when needed.

I like the idea, it’s just so damn expensive to do properly.