Lets talk about PH Meters

@latewood
I bought everything for calibration and storage. :+1:

1 Like

I upgraded, and the new meter is easier and more consistent. And five times the price of the other one, so hereā€™s hoping it lasts!

9 Likes

very nice!! iā€™m sure it will,those are quality metersā€¦

1 Like

I have the same exact one and I LOVE it! @Lia When I had problems with the meter I emailed the company and they sent me a brand new replacement kit for free in 3 days! Great customer service and the meter never gave me a problem until I dropped it lol! Stays calibrated and has a lid that holds probe solution so it never dries out! I recommend it to everyone lol so Iā€™m glad to see you picked one up!

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

the web site for the nutes i use say to calibrate your meters with 4 and 7 solutions to better read in the range that you use. seems exsesive to me .

1 Like

All we need for our purpose is to calibrate accurately to 7, because thatā€™s the closest to the range of PH that we measure. The meter doesnā€™t need to be perfect at 4 PH. At least for soil.

2 Likes

I finally got frustrated enough that I ordered one like @Lia. That POS Yella Jella just wouldnā€™t hold a cal. Thereā€™s no telling what my pH meter would read next. :japanese_ogre: I think it was possessed.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what I bought a couple months ago and it works great. Easy to calibrate and easy to use.

3 Likes

I have the same meter and I absolutely love itā€¦The auto cal. is a time saver. I cal everytime I use it and I havenā€™t a lick of trouble with itā€¦I also have a cheaper Mudder set as a back-up

Live-Grow-Learn
Dragon

1 Like

I got the same one @Lia so far its working great and like you said its very consistent.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s something interesting I read in the APERA PH20 instruction manual.

The instruments will NOT give accurate and stable pH readings when testing distilled or deionized water. Because distilled or deionized water do not have enough ions present for the electrode to function properly. To measure distilled or deionized waterā€™s pH users need to use a specialized electrode.

The reason why I think this is important information is I was trying to get readings from distilled water KNOWING it was a pH of 7, and NOT knowing I couldnā€™t test distilled water and blaming the poor Yella Jella. Maybe this can clear up a lot of other members crazy readings problems posted on here.

4 Likes

@barry1 thanks for bringing that to our attention i for one had no idea you couldnā€™t test distilled water ?
Hummm another lesson learned :+1:

3 Likes

After using the MW802 meter for over two weeks (6 or 7 times), I checked the calibration on it. I hadnā€™t rechecked since the calibration test when I got it.

7.01 PH test solution showed a PH reading of 7.0
1500 PPM test solution showed a PPM reading of 1510

Very Happy with it! :relaxed:

Then checked the yellow POS thatā€™s been sitting in test solution for two weeks, and it read 6.7 :nauseated_face:

@Ron330

5 Likes

I bought a more expensive meter (HM PH-80) and the instructions said to store tip in storage solution and said Not to store in cal.solution. Apparently if stored in calibration solution it will somehow ? erode and throw off the electrode reading.
Since I started storing in storage sol. I havenā€™t had to re-calibrate as oftenā€¦Hope this helps :smile:

1 Like

@Dragon269

Just to be clear, my good meter (MW802) does get stored in storage solution.
Its the yellow POS I leave in leftover test solution.

2 Likes

What does TDS mean?

1 Like

@PHammā€¦ It means Total Dissolved Solids

3 Likes

What @Zombo said. :wink:

2 Likes

ok, ok, so no one asked, here is my current kit (my first tds meter was a pretty accurate freebie from zero water filter system)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOIQE?tag=greenrel-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038QTQZ8?tag=greenrel-20

i am very happy with both

4 Likes

What solids is being measured & why? How often?