Let's Grow Some Purple Kush

I did not check it. I figured since it is soilless it will be primarily based on the feed. I would have to check Bugbee’s video but I think it is supposed to be 5.6 - 5.8 something around there.

1 Like

I figured the lime
Would jack it up? Not sure maybe it evens itself out with the coco and peat

Lime does raise ph. That is why it is added. The pH of peat moss is very low, too low, it is well below 5.

1 Like

Fantastic follow up @beardless thank you.
Clarification that in fact I do have purple haze not kush.
Re the bucket design what happens at the bottom of that pipe going down.
Whats the advantages/disadvantages if any of the latter.
Is there still holes in the bucket but less of them?
How much water do you give them each time?
That kind of thing.
Cheers

1 Like

Thanks if you do a soil test please let me know what it is

1 Like

Haha! I did. Still strong. May just be my lungs are too screwed up. Thanks.

I usually do test so I know. This time I think I got ahead of myself wanting to get them transplanted.

1 Like

Oh so you have used this recipe before?[quote=“beardless, post:148, topic:64436, full:true”]
I usually do test so I know. This time I think I got ahead of myself wanting to get them transplanted.
[/quote]

In this one I am using a 1 quart deli container. Its diameter where is sits in the bucket is close to 4".
Notice the holes drilled into its bottom. This allows the water to enter the wicking container. Soil is put in this and it wicks the water up into the rest of the medium.

There is about 5" of space between the two buckets whichs hold the water that is poured in through the pvc pipe. The bottom of the pipe is cut at a slight angle.
This is a different one. I wanted you to see the overflow drain tube. The overflow prevents the bucket from filling up if it was to be used outside. Also, is provides air space between the water and most of the roots.
I think the green buckets can hold around 5-6 liters. I don’t fill them. At the plant’s current size I give them 2-3 liters. Check the levels in a couple of days with a wood dowel dip stick.
One reason I am trying these is we are planning on being gone for more than a couple of days and with the buckets they should have a adequate amount of water for 4-5 days

6 Likes

Can I get a step by step crash course on how to build that. I’m gonna be gone for 6 days and don’t have anyone to come by and water.

1 Like

Ok i guess I can do the converting.
Just kidding.
Thank you for that.
Awesome.
@beardless

Thanks @beardless
Is it the clay balls creating the 5 inch gap between the buckets.
What stops water coming in around were the pvc pipe goes through the top bucket or does that not matter?
Also its not clear were your over flow comes out.
Great system though. I like it. Sure help in times away. Could have done with that last Xmas time.
Cheers

2 Likes

I have made self watering / wicking planters for flower and herbs so I was familiar with them. And because I started using an autopot it made sense to apply the concept to my favorite herb. In terms of using 5 gallon buckets I checked out a couple videos on youtube. Some were better than others so I put together something that would work based on the tools and stuff I have.
2x 5 gallon buckets
1 quart deli / yogurt container
20 - 24" length of 1" pvc
jig saw to cut approx 4" hole in bottom of bucket that the 1 qt container sits in
drill holes in bottom of this container
1 3/8" blade drill bit. Hole for the pvc to slide through
a couple holes in the same bucket for drainage if it can be rained on.
Something to support / set the height of this bucket within the second bucket. The youtube vids should give you ideas. I used perforated drain tile because I had some from building the garden containers.
A drain hole in the side of the second bucket just below the bottom of the interior bucket.
Pack the soil into the wicking container and fill the rest of the bucket. It must be loose well aerated and good draining mix. I have used coco & perlite, peat mix, and potting soil mix in outside planters.
This is a quick overview. Glad to answer any questions the best that I can.

3 Likes

I just noticed that I did not attach the photo I was going to. Here it is. I caulked in a piece of tubing.

The clay balls only covers the bottom inch or two of the deli container. I had them for the autopot so I used them. I figured they would keep the soil from dropping through the holes in the container. They really are not necessary.
The 5 inches I mentioned is necessary because this is the space the wicking container hangs down into. Give me a second and I think I can come up with an even more confusing way of explaining that.

Inside the only way for water to get in the bucket is for me to pour it through the soil or use the pipe. If it is outside the rain can get in either way. The excess will drain our through the side hole.
Checkout youtube. Lots of examples of 5 gallon SIPs
I like to try different things. Get bored doing the same ol thing.

6 Likes

Your rewarded with an updated top bud shot of my gscx auto 7th May 2021
Sugar leaves are getting some amber
But I want to see more frost.
Come on baby light my fire :fire:

8 Likes

Very much like our composting toilet @beardless
Bucket within a Bucket.
Space between each one.
Holes in the top one at the bottom of it to let pee drain through when we have guests that don’t know not to pee in the poo.
Simple but works well.
Have 44 gal drums for storing when the poo Bucket full.
We have a she pee loo for girls and boys wee on a tree.
All good.
helps with pictures does your deli wicker container touch the bottom of the inside of the bottom bucket for support.
And its just held in place with grey duct tape?
By gum I think we got it.
Cheers

1 Like

The wick container is very close to the bottom. In the picture you can see the black tubing is slightly taller than the container. That height difference is the distance the container is from the bottom. In other words, if I measure and have 1/4" of water in the bucket, then the wick container is above the water level and I need to add more.
The gray duck tape was used to increase the diameter of the container. My deli container template is a touch bigger than the yogurt container.
I did put a bead of adhesive caulk around the container and support tubing to hold it in place.

3 Likes

Very cool design. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@Nicky you asked to be kept abreast of how the SIPs are doing.
I think OK. This from today 5/7 purple haze day 39. I’ll have more to say about them later.

I need to get a new chain for my chainsaw. I have some nasty work ahead of me.
Till later :sunglasses: :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree:

8 Likes

Sorry @beardless I’ve been Mia mostly, bouncing around in real life to much but what are SIP’s? I’m drawing a blank and I scrolled through quickly but couldn’t recall.