Let's Grow Some Purple Kush

Thanks. If it is a pH issue, hopefully I am correcting or at least mitigating it with the mini flush using a low dose of flora kleen. Since this is the first time in coco and using a self-watering bucket I am flying blind flushing it.

3 Likes

I believe you have resolved your issue by turning your lights down ( 135W at 24 inch per 2 x 2 is plenty enough )…too much light causes your plant to go into overdrive and will lead to all sorts of problems…:sunglasses::v:

She was humming along at 400w. I intended to turn it down around the 5th week but didn’t until day 42.
I hope the small one gets squared away enough to finish. It certainly won’t be as good had she not had what whatever is ailing her

2 Likes

I use 1.5g per gallon. And I’ve been considering increasing a hair. Next grow cycle I think I’ll increase and see the results through that whole cycle of any.

You are right. I didn’t keep the best records of that but based on the few photos I took it was around 4 weeks before really seeing any new growth. I felt comfortable repotting them around 6 weeks

2 Likes

6/27 purple haze update 90 total days, 35 days 12/12
I think I have a problem with the SIPs. Even though the buckets are filled with peat with perlite and the plants are fed from below, I believe I have to do regular top / surface flushes.
This is haze #1. She is showing the same issues as purple kush Blue

I let Blue’s condition progress. I need to be more proactive this time. They are showing similar deficiencies at about the same time as did Blue.
I pulled her from the bucket to check her roots where there is an opening
I think they look good.

I placed 1 & 2 into clean buckets and ran 6 qts of ph 5.7 and 200 ppm down the fill tube. Flora kleen was added at a rate of 1 tsp /gal (5ml).
After an hour or so I returned them to their original buckets and checked the ph & ppm of this “flush”
This method did not draw much out as ph was slightly higher at 5.8 and ppm was unchanged. So basically gave the roots a good rinse. I needed more to reach more of the medium.
This is #2. She is smaller and not showing deficiencies to the same extent as #1. Maybe some of her leaves are little pale.

I will deal with 3 & 4 tomorrow. Lights will be going off soon. I have to decide if I will top flush or really flood them from the bottom. Either way they will get really heavy to move from one bucket to another.
This is all a learning process and comes with trying something new.
I am hungry for chocolate chip cookies so I am going to go bake some. I make tasty cookies :cookie: :man_cook:
Till next time.

6 Likes

Thank you
I haven’t been following this thread but from what I see you got a bit of a problem sorry to see. I’m going to try and catch up. Right off the bat it seems your in straight coco but why so much epson salt? If I am totally off base disregard , I been known to stick my foot in my mouth before I know the whole story. Good luck on you next run. I like to try and keep things simple these days. Good to talk with you again. I really appreciate your input.

Me too but some times it doesn’t work out as intended. Basically I think I have a ph problem with the SIPs.
They are great to use and were easy up to this point.

1 Like

Yea there not looking to happy.
I need to buy one of those blue point soil ph pens but I never pull the trigger maybe today. Smile :grinning: Seems the wheels fall of my bus in flower too some times. Good luck to you again and good health.

Hmm from what I know / heard save your money. As far as I know, probe type soil ph meters are not accurate. The only probe I use is one for moisture content. Soil phis best obtained by doing a simple slurry.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info
Can’t take it with me.

But I will check out the reviews on that Blue point before I buy if I do . Thanks
Think is with that slurry test I would think you want a sample from the bottom of the pot. How do you get it without cutting hole ?

i am told to use first runoff to approximate soil ph. It is approximate in that the actual ph will be a little less than what the runoff ph is.

1 Like

Got it.
When in flowering some like a slightly higher ph around 6.5 ish I seen, probably for the uptake of certain nutes
But anyway nice to keep in touch good luck again on everything you do.

1 Like

I have read that too. Not sure of the actual number for coco. So pretty much target 6.0 as per Myfriendis410

2 Likes

One thing I should have added about the SIP. I took the pH & ppm of the original buckets just after transferring the plants to a temporary one. The ppm was right on target at 900+. Normal feed is 1000 - 1100. However the reservoir’s pH was 7.1. A full point over normal feed ph of 6.0. I can see how this can cause a problem. When I feed I would stop once it was coming out the overflow. Maybe a better practice would be similar to top feeding. Continue until there is 15% or more overflow. Just thinking out loud.

3 Likes

Have you tried feeding at say 5.6 for example only to see if that brings down the ph in the reservoir? Just thinking out loud.

1 Like

I have not gone that low. I did not know the ph creeped up that much. It was probably 4 weeks ago I checked the overflow for the first and only time. It was low 6s so didn’t give it another thought. I will see what happens tomorrow. My plan is to plug the overflow outlet and give the remaining two a good soak with 2 - 2.5 gallons each from the bottom. Think enema (sorry).

2 Likes

7.1 maybe a little lockout going on. Funny all that epson salt didn’t bring it down , but I wouldn’t give it any more if anything a Foliage spray with it but that’s it. Maybe just ph down the water rather quickly 6.5? Just my 2 cents

1 Like

@anon84397802 with Jacks at full dose except epsom salt I’m at 120 in my tap water, I am right roundn1200 ppm with ph of 7.0 - 7.2. I dilute with additional tap water to bring ppm to 1000+_. I Use advanced nutrients PH down to bring it to 6.
The ph creeps up in the autopot reservoir too. Since it is only feeding one plant I add 1 - 1.5 gallons at a time. That is pretty much gone in a day and then add another gallon from that batch that I put in the refrigerator. I ph this and it is cold so it cools what is left in the reservoir. This seems to work and serves two purposes. Keeps the res. fresh is terms of PH and temp.
Since the one in the autopot is nearing harvest she is getting ph water and low dose of flora kleen.

2 Likes

Coming from a different angle here, besides the flush and an increased feed being the best choice, are you sure you mixed everything in the right order? And gave it ample time to mix /ph’d it after silica was dissolved before adding the jacks?

If so then some plants can just be more sensitive and thus is why it’s important to be in our gardens every day but heck I’m the worst at it so do as I say not as I do some times =p

2 Likes