Lets critique the new guy

This is my first attempt at growing. I’m open to criticism and hopefully helpful suggestions.

Here is what I have going.

2 White Widow auto flower ILGM seeds, in Miracle Grow potted dirt. The girls were started by a 30 hour soak in a little peroxide water and then directly into the pot. They grew up outside in the Florida climate.

They are now getting about 4 hours of shaded sunlight and 7-8 hours of direct sun. Usually 70F to 90F with occasional Florida afternoon thunderstorms. The water is from a spring and has a ph of 7.5.

I’m using Roberts fertilizer packets according to directions.

The girls are now 7 weeks old.

I’m attaching pics to show you what is going on. I’m treating the white leaves as white mold with the chemical supplied in my ILGM kit.

I’ll have to start using the bug juice that was also supplied in the ILGM kit. Only one of the two plants has bugs, and the white leaves. The other one looks very healthy and no problems at all. The plant with the issues took one extra day to germinate, was a very slow starter but has grown a few inches taller that the trouble free plant.

I’ve trimmed off the yellow leaves. Do I adjust the fertilizer?

How will I know when is the perfect time to harvest? I’ve read the manual, but it was information overload. Is there an easy way to tell?

Many thanks. I’m looking forward to some pain free nights once I harvest.

The Miracle Grow potting soil isn’t cannabis friendly due to MG with time release nutrients that get released every time you water.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ll try some plain potting soil on the next go around.

Any brand suggestions?

1 Like

Fox Farm Happy Frog is wonderful for cannabis plants. Fox Farm Ocean Forest aka FFOF is pretty hot for new seedlings. :+1:

4 Likes

I stick with happy frog. FFOF has had some issues with bugs and ph. At least in my area. I sprout in mineral wool but i run the frog from there on.

1 Like

The primary visual indicator for me are the pistils. When the majority are brown and laying down it is time to get out the jewelers loupe, scope, or USB and start checking trichomes.
Here are a couple of a WWA I just harvested. I let her go a couple days longer than I wanted but you can see what I am talking about

I grow in fox farm ocean forest.I’ll mix in some seed starter mix around the transplant.

3 Likes

So when your flower takes on the appearance of the flower (above) you are close to harvest. Right now you look to be at about 3 weeks since first pistils.

Soil layer is very wet. You have to make sure of good drainage.

The white stuff is likely white powdery mildew. Once you have it you can’t eliminate it but you can control it. Some growers will refuse to use plant that develops wpm but you can easily rinse in a peroxide bath at harvest to kill and eliminate wpm. A solution of peroxide and distilled water sprayed on the plant will kill wpm and with repeated applications will keep it off. Remove any leaves that are covered, be careful in handling and wash hands when done.

Peroxide bud wash at harvest is the best treatment you can give your harvest. Will NOT hurt THC production or trichomes.

3 Likes

@ftrup here’s another using mg. So you can see.

@MrPeat use both layered works nicely that way.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Damn… how i miss that mildew!!

Wow, nice. Thank you for the info!

Thank you. I appreciate your help and will do the peroxide wash.