Let the 2019-2020 grow season begin

Sounds like you got it under control to an extent, every grow is tricksy unless one grows the same exact soils & nutes & strains, otherwise change one variable and you’re kind of at page 1 again.
Personally I dont count days ie veg days & flower days, I just go by how they look at that specific stage & hope I dont mess it up too badly.
Can you post some recent photos to see how they’re doing. Also how often are you watering?
Have a great day :slightly_smiling_face:, its raining over here, which I love, no yard work :grin:

4 Likes

I’ll get some pictures when their sun rises they are sleeping right now. Right now they get water every 3-4 days. They got some on Friday, I’ll see how they look tonight but my guess is Wednesday this week will be a feed day.

2 Likes

So, counting friday, they wont get water again till wednesday, 6 days later?! or are you just referring to water & nutes?

1 Like

They had a little water Thursday. The soil was still a little dry and the deficiency showed on Friday morning so they got food Friday night. The soil was moist but not wet, the level of moisture did not give me heartburn. This morning it showed signs of drying.

I typically don’t water until the pots are pretty dry. My count would be 5 days on Wednesday. My grows so far (2) the plants asked for water every 3-4 days. I don’t know these girls well enough to accurately predict the next watering but my notes so far show every 3-4 days. I guess the window of next watering could be Mon - Wed.

2 Likes

@Mote @Missilesa @PurpNGold74

Here are my little ladies after their nap. I damaged some of their leaves with movement so I’m not concerned about bugs at this point.

I think Train Wreck is going to be a beast, whatever I do to her she comes back looking for more.

I don’t know what got on Gold Leaf’s leaf but it does not appear to be hurting her. It has been there a couple weeks. She looks stronger everyday.

I tried to show the leaves in question on Gorilla Glue. One is obviously yellow. The second close up is a leaf that looks like it is also going to turn yellow.

Please let me know what you think. By the pot weight I have a couple days before the next feeding. I was thinking 2/3’rds of a gallon this time. Definitely need to hone my lst skills on a couple. I’ll do that later tonight.

The Gang

Train Wreck

Gold Leaf

Gorilla Glue

5 Likes

In researching the possible deficiency in my plants I came across these documents published by the University of Montana. One diagnoses mobile nutrients and the other diagnoses immobile nutrients. I hope some finds these useful, I did on several levels. One thing I learned is the difference between mobile and immobile nutrients and why they affect the plant differently.

@dbrn32 if I can’t post these to the forum please take them down. I left the university’s name on them and I give them full credit for the publication. Anyone can download them from their website. Thanks.

12 Likes

These are very helpful flow charts. Thanks for sharing them!

6 Likes

I am continually doing research on organic growing. Just read another interesting piece that wanted to share with you.
Copied and Pasted-
Organic liquid nutrients differ from organic liquid fertilizers. They are both immediately available to plants and neither needs microbes to break them down further. They are very different in how they are absorbed: in natural living soil the nutrients in a fertilizer are converted by the fungi attached to the roots to take up what the plants need whereas chelated nutrients need no symbiosis by fungi and are absorbed directly by the roots, essentially force feeding them. Chelates are not good for natural living soil grows because they typically contain NPK values that exceed what mycorrhizae fungi has evolved to absorb. Liquid fertilizer like fish hydrolasate on the other hand will not harm the micro-life and is therefore safe for living soils. Look for the OMRI label to know the difference.
If you grow in coco or some other sterile medium then organic or synthetic nutes are the way to go. If you grow in living soil then go with a liquid fertilizer like neptunes harvest. Dry amendments do take a real long time to become available; some way longer than just a few weeks. Think months or even years in some cases (SRP being one). That’s why alotta growers use liquid fertilizer in addition to AACTs to get a jump on things. It has a lot to with how active your mix is to begin with: the more microbes there are in your mix f*cking, fighting, and eating each other the easier it is for your plants to take up what is there. Compost is so often overlooked yet it provides the microbial life needed to have an active soil mix. It is almost more important than nutrients IMO.
If you just walk into any hydro store and tell them you want something “organic” they might try to sell you a product that is in the same catagory of synthetic nutes just derived fro organic compounds which is very different from truly organic fertilizers that won’t harm the microherd. It’s really just a matter of preference in how you grow your plants but an important one. Hope that helps you

8 Likes

Those look fine, nothing wrong with passing along informative charts.

2 Likes

@zparkie2 @Killadruid fed the ladies tonight they looked like they needed it. Looking to flip in a week and a half. Should I think about doing a preventative flush? I have not watered to run off yet so I am thinking about watering to runoff this weekend and then deciding if I should flush then. @Killadruid do you flush in your program?

@dbrn32 @Missiles I need a little help I must have been impaired and deleted my link to the other side. Could you help a fella out and point him in the right direction?

2 Likes

You mean to the login page?

1 Like

That is the one…Thank you.

1 Like

No I dont. When I use plain water I give a mini flush. But nothing more then watering to run off.

1 Like

@blackthumbbetty @Missiles @Mote @zparkie2 @Killadruid For the first time they were watered with a gallon of water. Water was mixed with recharge and mammoth. pH in was 6.0 and ppm was 212. Two of the plants had a 1/4 cup of runoff. I checked the ppm of this runoff and one was 1450 and the other 1500. This result is perplexing because they have only received a total ppm load of 1600. Last week I think the plants had a nitrogen deficiency. I fed them and they took off. Plants look really healthy and show no signs of nute burn or deficiencies right now. I can’t believe they are not eating more.

Going to be out of the house tomorrow. When I return on Sunday I’m going to do a slurry and see what that tells me.

I’m getting ready to flip on the 10th and want to make sure they are in a good spot before they transition.

Any advise is appreciated.

5 Likes

You’re chasing your tail by trying to pinpoint the ec in organics. If you’re using Recharge and Mammoth, plus organic nutes, let them do their job. With organics, no need to water to run-off.

4 Likes

Honestly @Bubblehead if they aren’t showing any stress from being at that PPM I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It will come down if you just give them water next time. My ppm’s dabble in that area sometimes and I don’t stress it if the plant looks good.

2 Likes

No wonder I’m so tired my tail is awful short. My first grow it was suggested I do flushes extra when my runoff was that high. This time through I’m working a lot harder at keeping the soil healthy and so far I think it is really helping.

@missiles I think they really look good. I’ll keep pushing them and see where they can take me.

I have them doing their lst yoga right now. The gold leaf looks like myrtle growing in someone’s front yard. I figure she will show her true colors when she starts to mature under 12/12. Next trip through I want my ladies to be a little taller.

1 Like

Do any of you fine folks use black ethylene plastic doilies at the base of your plant covering the medium within the pot?

It’s something I do to keep moisture in (perlite medium and or soil). It creates a barrier to frustrate insects indoors and especially outside! It also stimulates microbial decomposition and the ability to metabolize NH4 (ammonium nitrate) from the added heat (northerners) even in summer, 94 f. and up NH4 mobilizes). Pure Cal is a product used here and northerly where the NH4 is extracted from CaNO3 as in colder temps it clogs things up, somewhat like pork-fat and hydrogenated oils are to your arteries.

1 Like

Organics and salt based nutrients require different treatment.

Your plants look great.

1 Like

Plants exploded over the past 48-hours after I watered them. For the most part I am happy with what I am seeing. It still looks like I have a nitrogen deficiency in GG and TW. The leaves showing the deficiencies are different leaves than two weeks ago. What does everyone think? I am planning on flipping them next Sunday if I can get the soil to dry out and I can get a good feeding this week. @blackthumbbetty @zparkie2 @Myfriendis410 @Killadruid

12 Likes