Let’s talk stalk splitting

I did a search and nothing recently relevant popped up so I felt like I could create a little discussion.
Have any of you split stalks or actively do
It? I had two plants and one recently finished and typically I do the big chores on Sunday and while
I was hacking up my stupid little blackberry bonsai my other stardawg told me she was the right one to try it out on. Noting that she was 7-10 days behind the other I took the loupe out and saw “a few” ambers so I grabbed the fiskers and jammed them through and pried it open enough to fit some wire in. Meanwhile I finished up on the bush and was looking at the plant while taking photos of another and noticed she had a very sticky golden sap running down a secondary branch.
Here are my control photos and we’ll see if there’s a difference in 5-10 days when she gets the chop.

@@AAA
@peachfuzz
@PurpNGold74
@Mrcrabs
@PharmerBob
@Budbrother
@Stonedagain2
@blackthumbbetty
@Blazin_Skywalker

3 Likes

It’s just supposed to stress it into producing more tricomes. Not sure how you could scientifically measure but it sure would be cool to know for sure

1 Like

Before and after pics

1 Like

I meant to tag you in this. I have been staring at this plant and her trichomes along with taken a ton of the up close photos so I think I’ll be able to tell if it does anything. The oozing sap was a very instant surprise.
I have two identical plants in my other tent if they stay on the same pace and this works out I’ll try it again on side by side.
But we all know the likelihood of them being identical phenos.

1 Like

Here’s a closeup today.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve never done it, curious but not sure I can coordinate all that a harvest takes with timing a split.

I plan on doing a SOG grow indoors and that will allow me to have a test and control subjects to start all the little tweaks that everyone posts.

interested in acidity’s influence on Terpene and color effect.

1 Like

I always understood it to be that the split/hole had to be at least half of the diameter of the stalk.

I did one last year, and did one without. It could have been the weather or it could have been the split but I thought I noticed a difference. This go round, I am experimenting with ice bath in a controlled enviroment since my last attempt failed due to 85°+ days and mere 75° nights. I think I confused the hell out of the poor girl.

This time, she is in my 12x20 shed with 2 ACs set at 65° and ice in water only at night to simulate real fall weather.

This is my stem split last year-

This is my current test subject and I can honestly say I have seen an increase in tric size-

4 Likes

To split or not to split, that is the question on the table. Its an interesting concept. I think we’ve all heard how the temperature can increase the amount of trichromes at harvest as the @NavyVet420 mentioned. Follow me if y’all can as I’ve just burned one but… . What if splitting the stalk interferes with stuff as it’s interrupted the normal flow of the juices. :face_with_monocle: like I said, I’m stoned so go easy on me.

3 Likes

Lol…

Splitting stem or ice baths or whatever major stress people put their plant through before harvest is supposed to initial DEFCON1 within the plant to produce more resis (trics) or swell existing resin to catch wayward pollen in a last ditch effort to produce offspring.

Unless you had clones grown in exact same conditions with exact same feed and use one for control and one for test, it would be hard to know if it really works.

Is it an illusion because your mind wants to see an increase in tric size and/or amount OR does it actually work?

2 Likes

I think there’s something to it but difficult to measure. I was moving one of my plants around the other day and a tiny lower sucker branch broke. It wasn’t very big but it had a bud big enough to get a joint from so you can say it caught my eye, and I will be testing it soon :joy:. I noticed a big drop of resin leaking from it as I tried to keep it from hanging. I just wish I knew how to make my girl leak the juices out the buds like that

2 Likes

@NavyVet420 what was your rating in the navy?

1 Like

@Stonedagain2 AM3- Aviation Structural Mechanic.

I dealt with airframe, hydraulics, brakes and tires on F14 Tomcats. VF 143 Puking Dogs and VF41 Black Aces (now VFA41).

My last squadron is how I named our ranch Black Ace Ranch, my straight razor company is Black Ace Razors and my daughter represents Black Ace Barrel Racing.

1 Like

Cool. I was an ae but got caught on a whiz quiz at nas Miramar while in framp with cfl-124 I was to go to vf51 but got separated. I went to college and became an Rn.

1 Like

Auto correct messed it up. Vf-124 was more school for f14s on west coast. I guess you were on east coast. I went back in after college but only the reserves because I was married. It wasn’t as fun but it got me away from the house every month.

1 Like

I did it and all it did was to slow the plant down from finishing. And I did it to more than one plant. As far as I am concerned it’s a waste of time.

5 Likes

Thanks for the insight! I expected that , but you see so many endorsements for the practise.

2 Likes

I know and I went for it and had poor results, Live and learn wright …

2 Likes

Check out this bud. Maybe it will get bigger in the next few days for the Bud of the month contest

4 Likes

Did you split the stock ?

1 Like