Let’s talk infusion. What does everyone using to infuse with?

Hi! I’m wanting to get into infusing, making edibles, tinctures, etc. What is everyone using to infuse with? Are you using a machine? Please educate me on the machines.

2 Likes

Instant pot.
Place 2 to 3 cups of water in the cooker.
Put 1/2 oz bud plus 1 cup of coconut oil in a ball jar. Very lightly tighten lid to let air escape when hot.
Pressure cook for 1 hour. No smell no mess.
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ

4 Likes

@Covertgrower is also very knowledgeable with extraction etc

3 Likes

Magical butter machine is amazing…
It makes tinctures,butter,oil and topicals.

6 Likes

Yes, I’ve been looking at that one!

1 Like

Extractcraft makes a really nice user friendly product for extracting. @Myfriendis410 has one.

1 Like

I’ll have to look at that one. Do u own one and use it often?

1 Like

Myfriendis410 owns and uses one often. I have a butane extractor, and those come in many different types.
Extracting comes in many forms, but essentially are trying for the same end results.

Extract craft uses alcohol wash to extract the resin, then the source turbo evaporates the alcohol separating from the resin.
You then can reuse the alcohol.

3 Likes

Like stated, I use the Source Turbo. I hesitated for a couple of years as the machine ain’t cheap but glad I finally pulled the trigger on it.

There is a bit of a misnomer in that the device is only used to extract the alcohol from your oil and recovers it for reuse. How you handle your plant material at the front end of the process dictates in large part your finished quality. Typically you run one ‘clean’ run at -40F using dry ice or a lab freezer which is then followed by a longer, higher temperature soak to extract the rest of the cannabinoids and waxes/lipids. This second run will be dark and full of chlorophyll which is nasty to smoke; thus is used for edibles.

Doing edibles from oil is far more precise a measuring approach than by cooking flower in oil. I treat first run oil at 800 mg THC/gram of oil and edibles run at 500 mg/gram. This makes things way easier for dosing. My wife and I have an edible (Tollhouse cookie) every night. The recipe needs 1 gram of THC (decarb’ed) per batch of cookies. This works out to roughly 25 mg of THC per cookie. Even though the oil used is high in chloropyll, you will be amazed at how nice the edibles are: zero cannabis taste or smell. They might as well be gourmet chocolate chip cookies.

Oil from the first wash at -40f is stupid strong and needs care to handle as it’s so potent.

5 grams of thermonuclear goodness.

8 Likes

Love this thing!

1 Like

Wow, that looks great. It comes out so clean looking. I still have a while before deciding what to buy. My plants r only about 1 month above soil. I’m excited to get into extracting bc I’m really in need of a medical alternative to treat my lupus symptoms.

I love my source turbo. It was definitely worth the money. I can also process other herbs with it. I make tinctures for lotions with calendula, borage Mary Jane, mint, etc. I also consume large amounts of THC in the form of edibles for some of my health conditions. I’m now glaucoma free, booyah! I definitely can’t put a price tag on that. :v::green_heart:

5 Likes

I plan to make tinctures and edibles to help with my pain and other symptoms from lupus.

1 Like

Works great for me

I’ve got some thank yous to go back through and give.
Did my 1st ever coconut oil infusion a few weeks ago. Boy was it nice and easy. My question is, can I double the flower with same amount of oil to up my dosage?
2 big cookies is hard to eat but works wonders. Hoping to get it down to 1 cookie.
I’ll get into the newer ways of extracts when the time comes. I’m just now getting on this road. I’ve ruined more trim then I care to talk about. But not anymore.

2 Likes

Blackthumbetty uses a full ounce of flower with a cup of oil. So yes it can be done.
My wife used a tea strainer and a small cup to press out the oil from the grindage.
You can also pour a little warm fresh oil through at the end to wash out any remaining goodies.

2 Likes

Thank ya sir :+1:

Just don’t put in too much this is some cookie dough I made that there was so much oil it couldn’t be absorbed. 1/2 cookie was more than enough fo me.

1 Like

Oof, that looks wicked.
Naw I don’t venture to far from the old school toll house recipe on the back of the morstle bags.

1 cup per batch

1 Like

Thats what it started out to be I added oatmeal & more flour in it to try to suck up the oil. They wound up as fall apart cookies.

1 Like