Let’s see your drying setups

I just been experimenting with different ways of doing everything from start to smoke. Never had the luxury of doing this much before 2017. It’s fun, interesting and a great hobby to fill time with. The drying set up I used before on the reservation is kinda like yours but we use several large barn type buildings to hang and process the harvest for the whole tribe, over 45,000 people on Pine Ridge Lakota Souix reservation where I grew up, not sure how many here on the Cherokee reservation where my wife’s from. This is the southwest field, covers that side of the mountain where the Blue Ridge meets the Great Smoky mountains. Since reservations are a sovereign of that tribe they are not part of the U.S. and not restricted by any U.S. laws.
2b05b8bf12117d119978e97c257ebe57_21~4
2b05b8bf12117d119978e97c257ebe57_21~3

6 Likes

I think I might have to try this. I just don’t know how well I’ll be able to control the environment. Just as long as I keep it under 40% I guess I’ll be happy

1 Like

Don’t sweat the dry. As long as there is air movement and they have space between them, they will dry ok with mold

3 Likes

With mold!? I don’t want mold lol

2 Likes

Phat Phingers! WITHOUT MOLDING.
I’ve had ones in the bathroom be at 70% and 65F, still only took 5 days, no mold or anything. This would be a good week to dry in our area, warm, not too hot, no rain forecast…

Damn, I’m usually really anal about spelling, grammar and punctuation! In my defense, son came down and said “Gotta go!” Has a driver’s license test he has to take, got him there 3 minutes before his appointment time.

4 Likes

Oh no biggie. Glad I don’t have to worry about that for a while (sons only 6 months) but @Spudgunner do I need a passport to come up there?

2 Likes

I setup a 4x4 tent… A small fan on low circulating air but not on the buds directly.

That fan also blows through an oil filled radiator heater to keep temps around 65F. Controlled by an inkbird temp controller.

A 4" AC Infinity exhaust s4 I think… Without the control panel… With a carbon filter.

A humidifier near the small Dan keeps humidity at 60rh without soaking low hanging branches/buds.

All hung from clothes hangers… The kind with small clips on each end for skirts or pants.

I check the moisture of my buds with:

And this:

When they get to 10-12% moisture it is about 58-62%rh in a grovebag.

I do paper bag them for 24 hours to ensure even moisture before grovebags… As they suggest.

I heat seal the bags… As they recommend… And don’t touch for over 4 weeks minimum.

Has never failed me.

OH… I wet trim.

4 Likes

Maybe? We didn’t used to need them to visit you guys if we were driving, only flying. But they changed that a few years ago, now we do.
Google sez…

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry proof of citizenship and identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 16 only need proof of U.S. citizenship. May 17, 2022

So…yep! I know the wife wants to do a shopping trip to Bellingham soon. Don’t know how close that is to you, @DEEPDIVERDAVE or @noddykitty1

2 Likes

Bellingham is a couple hour drive from me lol. Port Townsend is me lol

North 2 hrs, SG
East 2hrs, NK1
West 2 hrs, WAp

WE be in the middle. Whidbey Island.

Saturday July 1st, I am going to visit Trader Joe’s in Lynwood.
I owe NK1 some weed & seed. partial delivery 7/2, as I travel to Oregon.
His generosity at our last meeting, overwhelms’ me and I am grateful beyond words.
Red Hot Pokers cant travel and re-plant until October. Available for anybody who trades.
The yard beavers love the raspberry plants I got from NK1.
DDD is now sharecropperdave.

1 Like

I live in central Arizona, which is essentially desert and it’s dry AF here–very low humidity. The method that I use, which has worked well these last couple of grows is:

1. I convert the grow room into a drying room. Take the lights down and hang the plants from the light bar using S hooks. I remove all of the fan leaves but leave the sugar leaves on the plant.

2. Two Govee smart humidifiers set to keep the humidity at 60%.

3. A small Midea A/C which keeps the temp in the 60-64 degree range.

4. Darkness.

5. Ten days to two weeks.

6. Dry trim and jar.

My buds are smokable right after the dry/cure although much better and mellower 3-4 weeks after jarring.

I’d prefer to do the drying in a tent or box, but my plants are grown hydroponically and tend to be HUGE. The only practical thing is to use the grow room for drying, which, unfortunately ties it up for a couple of weeks while the plants from the last grow are drying.

3 Likes

I’m getting ready for my official grow and have been learning as much as I possibly can for drying and curing. Just want to say thank you to the original poster @WaPNWGrower because being newbies in the growing world, having as many options possible allows you to develop your own way of doing things.

And a big thanks to @Fiefie for posting this!!! I have been dancing around what size tent to get for our drying and all the necessities. I’m digging your setup and the use of the moisture meter. I saw that online while shopping on Amazon and wondered if it would be efficient for drying cannabis. Thank you so much. I’d love to see some of your seed to harvest posts and your use of this drying setup.

I was thinking about using grove bags also, but the old man wants to use the mason jars and boveda packs. Anyways, thanks again for posting. 🫶🏾

2 Likes

2 hours hanging after wash, then 2 weeks or so in the dedicated fridge, then dry trim and into Grove bags to cure.
This is my first grow. Outdoor, 3 strains, I learned a lot. I’m going to change a few things moving forward, but I’m sticking with the fridge dry. After only a few weeks curing, this is the tastiest and smoothest smoke I have ever experienced. You can really smell and taste the difference between strains.

4 Likes

7-10 hang time. I take everything off the trellis just before the stems snap by hand.

Followed by 1-2 days in the totes. This allows be to closely monitor the moisture content of the flowers.

Over drying is a harsh thing to come back from. I prefer to take my time and not rush these steps. It can make or break the end result.

Happy farming….

6 Likes

@HippieRunner1 — Good gawd, did you grow that harem in Chernobyl??!!

1 Like

Hahah thanx man. It’s definitely a passion of love :slight_smile: :v: