Let’s see your drying setups

I’m going to be harvesting soon and I am one of those rookies who thinks everything has to be perfect. So I’m reaching out to see how some of you have yours set up. Thanks y’all!

Edit: the wedryer xl is just too out of my budget

2 Likes

7 Likes

Handles about 5 or 6 oz with no problems.

9 Likes

How do you control the environment?

5 Likes

@HMGRWN let me guess. You put the whole box in the proper environment and let that large vent do its thing. And i bet the box keeps it from drying too quick too, i think it is very functional.

5 Likes

I don’t. It is in my lung room, indoors with central air. Sometimes it dries in 3 or 4 days and sometimes it takes 7 to 10.
I don’t really sweat the details. I grow better weed than I can afford and that is good enough for me.

16 Likes

Temperatures, humidity mainly.

4 Likes

I can “adjust” some depending on the weather by either drying the whole plant or cutting individual buds to hang, a wet trim before drying or leave the leaves on, etc.

7 Likes

Dark room, on a small clothes drying rack. Portable ac keeps it at 61-64°, dehumidifier keeps rh at 55%. Oscillating fan, moving air around, but not directly on the plant(s). Shoot for 7-10 days hanging.

7 Likes

O. A method to the madness. Nice @HMGRWN .

3 Likes

Amen!!!

5 Likes

Hear! hear! @Borderryan22 , @HMGRWN

1 Like

forrest-gump-tom-hanks

13 Likes

@WaPNWGrower learn how to be thrifty with as much possible stuff as you can, then you can buy all the stufff your going to need for this hobby. Metal clothes hangers work really well. For many reasons: quick, inexpensive, easy to access and find, the buds will hook over the horizontal bar on bottom like a glove. You can move them closer together for faster drying or put space between hangers for quicker drying. You can hang them in a tent with a carbon filter so you don’t smell like a dispensary.

3 Likes

It depends generally on the time of year it is. I’ve had a couple plants drying starting mid April and again mid May. The drying conditions in my grow space has have been perfect. Temperatures in Mid 60’s and humidity has also be mid 60s. Because the conditions have been so good I was able to hang the colas in the tent with a little air movement. If the humidity was lower I often dry in a large carboard box. I may set them in the tent if it is available…
I have even put bud loaded boxes into our small travel trailer with the AC running 24/7. It was easier to manage temp and humidity it the trailer than in my grow space with a bunch of plants and lights.

4 Likes

Check out the Wedryer XL. It works great in my lung room :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

I built this drying box, has 2 USB fans, one on the bottom sucking in, top one pushing air out. The bottom lines up with the intake hole in my tent…I dried one plant in there in the corner of the tent with 2 other pants still finishing. Benefit was that air to outside passed thru the carbon filter in the tent…no smell!

Only used it once. I’ve never had the tent empty to be available for drying since!

I also used to hang plants from the shower rod in the spare bathroom - that worked well until son moved back home. Once he leaves, will probably go back to this as it provided the most consistent conditions.

I’ve also hung a string from the floor joists in the crawlspace and hung plants from there (that’s what I do now due to space limitations). Gives me a 4 or 5 day dry.

7 Likes

I never hang my plants when harvested. I never harvest the whole plant. Found that clipping the buds off mid day outside or peak light time inside while plant is thriving works best for flavor and potency. Then placing the trimmed buds on a layer of paper, buds laid out side to side and not on top of each other which will cause them to mold. Then a double layer of paper on top, then another layer of buds,do this for 3-4 layers, place in a vented box and placed in a dry dark place like a closet and check in 4-5 days, if dry enough place trimmed dry buds in mason jars to cure, burp jars once a week until you reach desired cure and texture. The buds will remain fresh and not dry out.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I used to do something similar back in the early '90’s, used a bunch of 24-can beer flats.

You can stack them up in a crisscross fashion, and put an empty one top. Then every day you can check on them, turn them if needed, etc. In a 2’x2’ space you can stack them 10 or 12 high and easily put 2 oz-when-dried-worth of weed in there! Crisscrossing them provides air flow and the cardboard moderates the drying.

4 Likes