LED Replacement Bulbs

Ok, after slapping someone down, politely by my standards, for talking nonsense, I’ve decided to drop this here to allay any fears regarding popping the globes off of LED replacements.

Basically, an idiot elsewhere tried to say that if you pop the globe off you should never let a plant touch the bulb as if you touch the plant then you will get zapped thanks to the power through the LEDs. When it was pointed out that he was wrong, he went off on a rant trying to tell this person who has been an electrician for over 30 years that I had never been one and had no idea how said replacements are made and that he was right and I was wrong. Obviously, he got that bit wrong too.

So, to prove the point, I took some pics and I’m going to put them here as proof that such tales are absolute nonsense and that there is absolutely no risk whatsoever of getting zapped from the LEDs on a deglobed bulb.

The lamp in question is a 230v 14.5w 6500K deglobed replacement, and as you can see is most definitely “on”.

As you can see, I’m still alive.

So if ANYONE says that you can get zapped from an “open” LED replacement, be a dear and show them one of these pics which has my hand in direct contact with the LED surface, meaning that the current flow through me would be higher than what he claims as there is no extra impedance called making a circuit through the plant.

There is NO risk of electric shock from touching the LEDs on such lamps, please do not believe those who do not know what they are talking about and trust those who, like myself, have both the knowledge and experience to give you the information you need to grow safely.

That is the end of today’s Public Service Announcement, thank you for paying attention.

I’m out of likes at most inconvenient times! And also appallingly missed that convo.

The problem here is that under a condition of a failed component, or power supply without protections, I could see someone getting zapped from coming in contact with pcb. But it shouldn’t happen under normal operating conditions, or under failure with decent components.

I would almost start a light touch trend. The problem is that most drivers will divert voltage under a fault. However will also immediately send voltage the instant fault is cleared. So it’s a bit much to go on suggesting we take a pic touching our pcb’s. But I’ll probably do one anyway lol.

I can no longer see straight, but as promised

Wow, that’s really nice.

Thanks! Here is pretty much the rest of it.

I never thought a light could be sexy, but there it is.

I couldn’t find a place to put my sticker.

Save it, the perfect spot will come along. I think I’m going to have some dbrn stickers made. You know, just because haha.

OMG, you should!

This imbecile over on GC was not talking about fault conditions, but under normal working conditions. Even after posting the pics there he STILL keeps arguing that I’m wrong and you WILL get zapped if you touch the surface of such a replacement bulb, telling me to stick my finger on the transformer. Well, that’s pretty hard to do without dismantling the bulb, as seen in the pic below.

I’ve been good, as he calls me names I’ve only told him that he makes two short planks look like a supercomputer

LEDs are never more than 3 volts, so if you had 10 of them in those bulbs, you could have 30 volts if you touched just the right LED terminals. If your hand is dry, you will not feel 30 volts. It is very hard to injure yourself by only conducting current through one hand. Back in high school. my electronics teacher had us all stick a finger in a hot 120 VAC lamp socket to see if it was on. Doesn’t really hurt, but you don’t want to do it when your other hand is touching a ground. That can kill you.

Mate, I used to prove how “dangerous” electricity can be by holding the live wire in my fingers, and that’s 230vac.

And when you place the led surface fully on the palm of your hand like in my pics you do, obviously, complete the circuit as EVERYTHING is in contact with the skin. If there was anything that was a high enough voltage to allow a strong enough current to flow through you, I would have felt it and, had it been high enough, I would have had at least two nice “pinhole” marks on my paw where the current entered and exited my body (had that on 230v once, knuckles touched something they shouldn’t and there was two lovely pinholes. Was not fun, you try drinking a cup of coffee when your arm’s twitching)

You don’t have to tell me these things, but since I saw one imbecile talking absolute rot I felt it best to start this one to nip things in the bud before some other idiot came out with the same nonsense here.

Sorry about the quality of the pic, but here’s my left thumb across 3 strips of my own El Cheapo panel

If I held it there any longer I would have suffered from cramp

Hahaha what’s the one thing they tell you to grab to get someone off of a live circuit a peice of wood if I recall right

I remember one about one poor sod doing rewires in a house.

The apprentice was in the attic, tying the new cables to the old ones to the light switches, the electrician was waiting for the call to pull the old cable down with the new one attached. Unfortunately for him, he got cramp in his leg so was shaking it to ease the cramp.

The problem was that the woman whose house it was thought he was getting zapped, and remembered the “public service” ads saying to use something like a bit of wood to push the victim away from the cable, and swung a broom like a baseball bat at him to get him off the cable.

3 broken ribs later…