LED brand review

Yoshi, you are THE man!!! That is exactly what I wanted to hear someone say. I have a 600w (adjustable) that I run the MH and HPS and I am adding 4, 36w spots, one over each plant and “rigged” to be level with my MH so I can adjust the height of all the lights at the same time. This will be my second grow and I am hoping to correct multiple mistakes I made on my first grow. Last time I could not turn up the lights cause I had inadequate ventilation, this year I hope to have enough air flow so i can run the lights on high w/o overheating the place.

I think this may be light burn but the sister next to it.in the same pot doesn’t seem to be effected nearly as bad.Can any one give me there thoughts.I is greatly appreciated.
Happy Harvesting and thanks

1 Like

By the war ,this was grown with a Mars Reflector LED
About 18 in. Above the top of plant.

@BrockSamson

1st week into my grow (1st grow) I purchased the ViparSpectra 450 watt with both veg and bloom switches. My plants really took to it so I purchased a second one of the same model and I’ve had the first light almost two months and the second light about 3 weeks now in a 3’x3’x6’ tent. Plants are doing famously well.

Last week I noticed a slight pinkish hue coming from the last Light I bought. I got a little worried over it and emailed the company. In 12 hours I received a reply that asked me to try two different things with the lights. I did so and it made no difference. The next email I got they were very nice and gracious and sent a PDF of a prepaid postage label so I can send the light back and they will send me a new one. No bad attitude and no questions asked.

I was very surprised, pleasantly surprised, at how fast their response was and how kind and helpful they are. I’m considering just keeping the light and continue using it in the hopes that it’s just a little different Spectrum. But my point is if you want a company that is fast and willing to work with you then this company is the one to go with.

I already have 2 marshydro 300w I’m wondering if I should buy another or go with a high watt generic anjeet 800w instead- it’s a one or the other type of thing

@Zombo @BobWags. While it has been a few months since shopping for a light… I did buy the VIPARSPECTRA v450 (200w)…problem is I am out of seeds and can’t afford any more atm. My fault I mistakenly was doing pH for soil… When I was using a soilless mix. Next time I’m going try foxfarm. And I had given a foliar feeding at seedling… Bad idea.

Anyway I agree VIPARSPECTRA seems like a good company… I emailed about registration warranty and they said not needed (just proof of purchase) but I didn’t find any lights for comparable price and warranty. I only shop on Amazon (problems easier to solve) At time of purchase anything more than a 1 year warranty was out of my price range.
3 year on VIPARSPECTRA sounds good to me!

Now while I dont have any more seeds (yet) my Venus Fly Traps are loving the light. One is ending flower stage, another is starting flower stage. Both coming out of dormancy.
While this may not be the proper forum pics are attached.

Note: VFTs have few traps when in flower mode, if any. Had some problems uploading pics can share google link if anyone interested. PM me.

@Lovthegro i am certainly no expert and have yet to keep any alive past seedling stage… But your problem reminds me of my seedlings having nute burn and wrong pH mentioned above. Have you changed anything lately? What is your pH runoff?
See another post of mine and the pics of my failures here…

3 Likes

@BrockSamson

I purchased my 2 Viparspectra lights from Amazon as well. Both arrived in only 3 days. As I said previously, I really like the lights and I love the customer service.

I too had pH and PPM problems and my symptoms sounded like yours but only worse. Brown spots all over the leaves, tip burn, yellowing leaves. I was using Black Gold with fertilizer. No matter what PH I would put in, even up past 10, and it would come out about 4.5. Ppm’s were coming out 1500 or over just from the soil alone. I had to flush my two plants several times with plain water pH up past 10.

I then bought some liquid bone meal from nectar of the Gods and some cal-mag and flushed them with that and have been adding it the last two waterings. My pH finally has come within range as well as the ppm’s. The brown spots and the yellowing leaves have disappeared.

I went from this: (The plants got very sick soon after this photo was taken)

To this:

1 Like

@BrockSamson, wish I had something to say to help your situation but I am real green at this. The guys here are really knowledgable and will most likely figure your issues out. I have my 3 seeds which have taprooted in paper towel method, they are now in peet jiffy pellets on heating mat but only has been 2 days, nothing sprouting yet. Good luck bro, I’m hoping to get some sprouts going under my cfl lights then turn on that ViparSpectra!

@Brian091180, advanced platinum seems like a really good product, just expensive… But you get what you pay for. I went w/ a Vipar Spectra 900 watt because I cost. I am new to this and have never grown ever. I thought about the advanced platinum 300 but size would be limiting I felt. So I went w/ cheaper model to cut my teeth first… If I get good at this, I may pull trigger on a good led and use the Vipar as a veg light or supplement, I just don’t know what I don’t know, but this thread is really a good one

1 Like

@BrockSamson

Updating my LED grow info:

Two White Widow photoperiods. 5 gal pots.
Two 450 Viparspectra dual switch LED units.
3’x3’x6’ tent.

Week 3 of flower:

These lights have done a fantastic job. The heat inside the tent when closed rises to about 90 degrees which is a little touch and go so I run 12 hours lights on at night with the tent open.
I give a two big thumbs up to these units.

Week. 4:

For 20 minutes I kept deleting and re-uploading this photo but the orientation just will not come out correct. I guess if you stand on your head you can see what’s going on :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@BobWags, hello, I am also happy with my 900 watt viparspectra led… Seems to be doing a good job so far, might look into another 450 or 900 as well

1 Like

@Zombo

I recently watched a YouTube review on LEDs and the fellow was really good at what he was doing. Anyway the Viper 300 came out doing very well as did the 600-900. He felt the 450 was a waste of money and that if you were going to go that route he suggested the 600 so you might want to consider that. I’ve had great luck with my two 450s.

1 Like

Thx for that info @BobWags… I’m thinking of setting up another tent for veg, right now only have 1 tent, so I may buy a 2 or 4 ft t5 cfl setup and then add another led to the tent with the 900 in it… If I add another 900 I would have 800 plus actual watts for flowering tent… This tent is 4x4x7 should be good for flowering 3 to 4 plants

1 Like

@BobWags, a lot of folks are writing good things on those Meizhi led lights… There is a 1200 watt unit on amazon for 325 bucks

1 Like

@Zombo

The Meizhi did well on the YouTube review as well. I’m sticking with the Viparspectra because I am getting a great outcome from them and customer service was excellent. One of my units was casting a slight pink hue and I emailed the company about it. After sending a photo they insisted I send the unit back (they emailed a prepaid label) and they will send me a new one which is exactly what happened. The light was working fine but they just did not like that the hue was slightly off. Great customer service.

1 Like

@Zombo

I myself bought a second smaller tent for vegging. It’s a 2 x 2 x 4 foot tent that fit perfectly in my closet. At the moment I have 4 white widow clones in 3 gallon fabric pots with 6 1600 lumen, 23 Watt CFLs. They are exploding much faster than I thought they would.

I will probably buy the 300 watt dimmable LED for the small tent only because it is so much cleaner and more space in the tent with an LED than with CFLs.

2 Likes

Nice set up, thinking of similar size for veg. Maybe 2x2 or 3x3. 4 ft or 5 ft in height @BobWags

1 Like

@Zombo

My big tent is 3’x3’x6’ and is perfect for scrogging two plants. In a scrog three plants would be too much for that tent. I have found homes for two of my four clones which will give me the space to veg the remaining two. By the time I harvest from the big tent the time will be just perfect for the two clones to go right in there in a scrog.

It’s much more work than I thought flowering 2 plants in a big tent and vegging 4 in a small tent. Now that I am approaching week 5 in flower there’s not too much work to be done in the big tent however the four clones in the smaller tent I’m doing continuous work daily. Constant tying down and topping/fimming and they’re beginning to be needing to be watered on different days.

The flowering plants are in plastic 5-gallon pots so I’ve become used to them. Now that I am in three gallon fabric pots I have to rethink my processes. So far I still like the plastic pots but I’m sure I’ll get used to the fabric ones.

2 Likes

So the pics you posted in the scrog is only 2 plants? Sounds like you got a good system going… Is would like to be like that eventually… This is my first grow ever starting slow for now lol

1 Like

Wow , just re red your post, 2 plants are doing really good, great job @BobWags

1 Like