LED Brand comparisons

Tge 260 work great and they helped out my heat issue i had. I used to run a bunch of blurples now all is changed. Hlg lights for every room if it is a light in the room it is made by hlg here lol. The blurples had my room in the high 80s to mid 90s i switched from the blurples to 3x 260xls in the room with 2 hlg 30uva bars and cut the heat down by almost 20° i now run a scorpion diablo a 260xl and 3hlg 30uva bars in the photo room and 2x w60xls and 1x hlg far red bulb and 1x hlg 30uva bar in the auto room. Auto room is slightly over 4x4x8 and photos room is 4x7x8 alot in lighting but if u plan to stick with growing better to make the roght move on loghts at the beginning. Ive blew over a grand on cheap lights adding and adding and switching until i lisyened got a good loght and now i see a huge difference. Bud density smells tastes. Its all different with the right stiff.

If the ole lady has issues with u spending money on lights do like i did for a while til she started to buy stuff for me randomly like the scorp diablo was a gift from my wife. She is enjoying the buds so much she spent 1400 on a light for me to hrow better stuff with. Ot was either me go and buy loghts and start a grow hobby the right way or me start to look for a hot rod that me and my son can start to build up for when he is a bit older and he can have a miscle car he and dad put together. So cpl grand on light or like 20 grand to build a muscle car. She went for the couple grand part lol

1 Like

It’s the simplicity of a plan like this that makes it genius.

1 Like

Honestly with being 41 now and sore all over from my job beating me up. I would probably have just went with the growing hobby anyways i van sit on my butt a bit more doing growing than building a car. Growing can go til i die building a car will stop sooner or later unless ya get another to start on but if i do my plan is to build one for my son to have as a show car and he can pass to his son or daughter ect. Keep a car in the family as long as possible. Hell my uncle has a cherry 69 roadrunner all original everything even the hemi orange paint. Only thing changed is he added a 6 pack and changed out the trans for a beefier one. One bad azz car for sure. Had it like 38 years only drove it a hand full of times lol. Its just a show car he says. Yeah like 150 grand show car if not more. He turned down 125k cash for it.

2 Likes

:drooling_face:

The smaller work load is what got me into restoring bikes. Mid to late 70s Kawasaki is my weakness. Small lift and suddenly your whole project is at chest level.

4 Likes

If water is your problem why dont you plumb a water line to res with a float shutoff ?
Problem solved…

1 Like

Haha, my Mrs is not a connoisseur!
She hasn’t told me to stop it, but her generosity only extends to a visual every couple of days and one top up of fluids, which is a 25L drum set up on a shelf next to my homemade 60L plastic drum I converted to a reservoir.
I’ve spent absolute minimum on setting up but I can set it to do any style hydro within reason

I was warned by a colleague who also works away and is into the hobby, he has had a few failed valves while away and gone home to heartbreak!

1 Like

I just grow in canna coco. Seems to be the most forgiving. Ive had like 0 issues using it so far beside my wpm issue last grow. This grow so far seems to be in check. Still babies at the moment

Besides the couple.chewed leaves from my wifes cat eating on them all is good. Cant turn my head for a second if the plants are not gated off or the cat eats the keaves lol. First pic is maui waui second pic is 2 zkittlez autos and a elev8 runtz in front

1 Like

as stated above 2 hlg 260xl rspec would be the best to use. They are awesome lights. A little assembly required but very easy to do. It’s just connecting wires which use push connectors and then a couple bolts for driver.
I got 28oz in a 4x8 with 3 of them growing only 3 plants.

If not those lights look for something with samsung lm301b or lm301h

1 Like

Yeah I agree only if it’s something you plan on continuing to do spend the money. The lights will pay for thereself in one grow.
Good luck and happy growing my friend!

Glad to see a Kawi fan! I bleed green and have been twisting bolts on them for over 20+ years.Dirt/street/strip. Natural/blown/juiced.

1 Like

OK…
I’m starting to get a serious vibe that lights are going to be either friend or foe!
But to be quite honest, I did often wonder how good quality and purpose made any light source could compete with the true original source of light they are programmed to use.
I have read so much bullshit from salespeople and false specifications made up that are either miracles or use their own made up formula’s to focus on a number that really means nothing and has no benefit at all.
That’s why I’m talking with people who are doing something right and really want to share the experience and results with others.

I got 2x 4’ tents running in sequence just now I will very seriously consider using all the proceeds from them to fit out the flowering tent with “good” light.
I should be able to start a veg cycle quite nicely before being blessed with new luxuries in the tent of business :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The HLG 260XL Rspec is perfect for a 2x4.

2 Likes

You can run almost anything for veg, flower run quality.

I have some t8 light bars for veg tent and a few hlg 260 xl’s for flower. It makes a world of difference

2 Likes

Cool, my understanding is becoming much better over the last few days.
I’ve had the same thoughts as others have suggested on a much more frequent basis.

My last tangent hobby I decided to take on successfully was designer breeding pythons!
I was quite successful with developing morphs (or genetic mutations correctly named).
I believe it was simply because of the science behind it, not the lucky win or random luck.
I loved that I could use mathematical formulas to produce 3-4 completely different looking offspring from using recessive genes.
I don’t like making needless mistakes if I can learn from others experience.
Gives me more time to experiment with next level results through finer tuning for personal preferences

Don’t want to spend much I understand. But how much weed would you buy if you couldn’t grow your own. For me. Easy 300 bucks a week to keep me relatively pain free and my ptsd under control. So to spend 350 for a light that will give me weed for years. It’s freaking stupid of me not to spend money. I don’t have money. I never sell. But if it’s for meds then I spend it to make it. If lights just ok are good then your better off just getting some brick weed and not have all the other risk. If you want the best and make your dollar go further then get a hlg light.

1 Like

I am very limited on how much I use, I under go random drug testing frequently with work.
I was actually warned after a recent test showed up more than I was allowed…
Lab results just got me under the limit???
Maybe I’m more important to the company than I thought however I’m not going to risk the family home for my selfishness.
I originally set up to help me out in a hard time, times are getting better but it’s better to have some beer money put away for next time.
This covid pandemic has really shaken things up for so many people.

2 Likes

Light drives all biological processes within the plant. Insufficient light means lower nutrient uptake, leggy, long node spacing, poor flower production and loss of potency. There are technologies like MH/HPS or CMH/LEC that are much more affordable upfront but generally need much more heat rejection equipment which drives up costs up front and ongoing.

The state of the art is the top bin Samsung diode as stated above. Someone emailed Samsung and got a response stating that there are ZERO manufacturers in Asia using their diodes. This means that any light bought from overseas is using inferior diodes and telling you they are top bin.

The HLG lights use near state of the art Samsung diodes with third party test data to support their claims. As a case in point; normal (cheap) LED’s are on par with MH/HPS and nominally use the metric of 50 watts per square foot for proper flowering. With the HLG lights you are more like 30 watts per square foot. So; much lower heat rejection and nearly half the cost of running them. The first month I put in my diy lights (1st gen Samsung diodes) my electrical bill went down $60: that’s a LOT. The lights have more than paid for themselves in savings alone.

You also have the ability to turn down the lights for veg and crank em up in flower which is another cost saving.

7 Likes

I would pass on those two lights and just get 1 HLG 260xl Rspec till have can afford a second one.

I use two of the HLG’s in a 4x4 tent. Sure it hurts up front but 1
Crop pays for it. I drove over 6000 miles between 3 trips to Denver. Just to get quality bud.

Now imagine if I would have just got into growing with proper lights. One ounce cost me $450 for top shelf. Which I grow better than what they sell. I got 2 lbs dry, cured and no stems on my first successful crop.

5 Likes