Leaves turning brown on indoor grow

Question from a fellow grower: I am having brown leaves form around the leaves of every single plant. I have 20 total growing and of those all 20 are showing this sign. I am answering all of your questions below and attaching photos. I would like to post and interact in the forum but once again, I do not see any way of creating a new topic in the forum. Any help is appreciated.

• Strain: Strawberry Cough (10) Green Crack (10)
  • Type (fem/auto/reg): Feminized
  • Climate (indoor/outdoor): indoor
  • Medium (soil/hydro/details): Moonshine
  • pH of runoff or solution in reservoir: 5.7
  • Nutrient mix strength (EC/TDS): Kelp 0.5-0-0.5, Big Bloom 0-0.5-0.7, was originally using tap water pH’ed at 6.7-6.8. For the last 8 days I’ve been using RO water pH’ed at 6.8 hoping this would help but I don’t see any signs of recovery
  • Light type & schedule: 18 hrs on 6 hrs off (6) Mars Hyrdo LED lights 300w
  • Temperatures day & night: 70° window a/c controls temp
  • Humidity day & night: 50-80% large fluctuation, not controlled
  • Ventilation: Indoor minor attic ventilation
  • AC: window unit set @ 75°
  • Humidifier: none
  • De-humidifier: none
  • Co2: none!
    brownleaves|640x480

Hi All,

The above was posted for me. I have quite a few pictures of this issue.

1 Like

Pics taken in white light will allow us to see what is going on?

How long after the last time you added or changed the plants world did these symptoms appear?

So when I started noticing this browning I stopped giving any nutrients bc I thought it was burning them. After 4 days of no change I started thinking okay it’s the water.

I was using tap water pH’ed at 6.8 so 9 days ago I started giving them RO water pH’ed @ 6.8 with no nutrients, no changes and the browning is still getting worse. I’m so confused. Let me go take some pics in regular lights and I’ll post up. Gimme 10 minutes. I’m watching this thread like a hawk hoping for some help.

Okay so here are a few pics under white light

1 Like

I don’t think I’m qualified to help you but I could ask questions so others could help . What type of Ph tester do you use and can you recalibrate it . I have two meters to compare for accuracy so that I can eliminate Ph as a issue . Also I see water sitting in the drip trays . Do you leave the water in the trays .

It could be Phosphorus deficiency but you need to see what the pros tell you . Someone will help soon . No worries . @raustin

what’s the ph and ppm of runoff?

How much are you watering, and what are you feeding? Also, what soil are you in?

@Halcyon_EQ says they are using Moonshine soil .It looks to be MJ specific . I have found that by raising the pots up off from the drip trays allows the water to drain away from the soil so it can dry out some after watering . It’s hard to tell from the pictures .

1 Like

If your meter is correct, this is too low for a soil grow. I’m not sure what this medium is considered
. PNG

Your humidity is pretty high. The plants have a hard time pulling nutrients through from the roots when it’s that high. I’m not saying that’s your issue, but you’re going to want to lower it by the time they start flowering.

We do need to know about your watering practices as @raustin mentioned

1 Like

Why can’t I post

Sorry this thing kept telling me I could only post 3 times on this thread. So I do not leave water in the trays. This one has it bc I tested the runoff.

I water about 1-2 times a week.

1 Like

It’s probably because of your user level. When you first join your number of posts are limited. Try creating a topic. That’s one of the milestones needed to move on if you haven’t already

2 Likes

The Moonshine soil has ingredients a lot like the roots organics I use - a soilless, amended coco based medium. I water at 5.8pH like a hydro and I water every other day to significant runoff with 1/4 nutrient dosage. This seems to be a matter of preference, as a lot of people using soilless media do use the 6.5pH range with varying watering cycles/amounts. But it’s how I was taught on this site by my mentor and it continues to work for me.

Given that you are watering at 6.5 and getting something a lot lower indicates to me you should be watering at 5.8. The person on this site who taught me how to distinguish between 5.8 and 6.5 recommended a slurry test. Add 2 teaspoons of the soil to two teaspoons of 6pH water, mix up good, and let it sit for 15 minutes. If the pH is under 6, use the 5.8pH guide. Over 6, use 6.5. Do this and see what you get.

Also, in addition to measuring the runoff pH, o you have a TDS meter that you can measure the ppms with? Because the Moonshine soil is amended with nutrients, you may be over-nuting and burning the plants. If your runoff ppms are over 2000, its a likelihood

I do not have a TDS meter. I will do the slurry rest and see what I get.

So my slurry test shows a 6 pH. I’m not adding nutrients at this time and haven’t been for a week just in case I was over feeding it with nutes.

So what is this guys? Still don’t have the answer. Fungus? Phosphorus deficiency like suggested above? If so what do I need to add, take away.

I’m losing some of my plants here and it’s really getting to me. I shouldn’t have any brown and my little ones are almost completely over taken.

Please someone help me out before I lose my entire crop

oh no!! pls post photo updates.

Get the ppm/TDS meter. You need that to determine if your issues are caused by overnuting the roots, which is kind of looks like.

I suspect pH is also a contributing issue. For the time being, I recommend watering at 5.8pH to significant runoff, no nutrients - maybe some calmag since you are using RO water. I water every other day and would suggest the same since my medium is very similar to yours.

@garrigan62 @raustin for any further thoughts

2 Likes