Leaves curling sideways

Not sure what’s going on. Every thing I’m finding talks about curling up dose not sideways.

. I’m thinking ph but it’s in the 6.3 in out is 6.7
Tom

What are you feeding? When my leaves curl like that it’s because I’ve fed them with something too strong

1 Like

Tom, it’s not sifewsysi blew it up and notice white tipd and white tips on both sides of your
Plants. Its the start of Potassium deficiency. Here is a pick of what I saw starting on your pants

Solution to fixing a Potassium deficiency
Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have potassium in them will fix a potassium deficiency. Again Peters All Purpose plant food 20-20-20, will cure the potassium deficiency , Miracle grow Tomato plant food, Miracle grow All purpose plant food.( Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients, or it will cause nutrient burn!) Some other supplements of potassium are: Wood ashes, which are fast absorption, Kelp Meal, which is medium absorption, Greensand, which is slow absorption, granite dust, which is slow absorption. Sulfate of Potash, Sulfate of Potash Magnesia, Muriate of Potash, which are medium absorption. FOXFARM GROW BIG HYDROPONIC CONCENTRATE, which is fast absorption. (FFGB can bring your ph down as well) Earth Juice Meta-K, which is fast acting. (Can bring down your ph as well) Leaves will never recover, but the plant will show recovery after about 4 to 5 days when using a fast acting nutrient.

Note: Wood Ashes, can make your ph go up a bit, so please monitor your ph when using it.
Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics, (which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) you need to flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients

B Safe
Will

3 Likes

Now your’s are just starting to show signs
Take a closer look. It may have already got worse

Will

I will post new pic, I think the HPS bulb makes it look different. Some of the white you see is diatomaceous earth. I did feed it with 1/4 the amount of gh grow and gh bloom, two days before the pic. It was a clone a friend gave me and it had the brown tips. The curl started on new growth.

C

. Without HPS on. I think I posted the same 2 pics lol…

1 Like

Back in the eighties when I didn’t have ppm meters and such I would push my hydro solution to the point where my new leaves would just start to curve, then I would dial it back some …is it possible your friend fed it just before he gave it to you? -good luck

2 Likes

I’m not sure but I will ask tomorrow. Thanks everyone for input
Tom

It was bugging me last night and this morning and I decided after a lot of thinking this very well may be what’s going on with your plant.
Tom, I just want you to have the best answer. As you can see these two deficiency’s look a lot a like.

Calcium Deficiency

Calcium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 2.0- 5.3
Calcium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 5.4-5.8 (Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Calcium Deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Calcium deficiency
To fix a calcium deficiency you can treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomite lime or Garden lime per quart of water, Or Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Calcium in them will fix a Calcium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
Or you can take crushed up dolomite lime or garden lime in a gallon of water and water it in the soil. 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, which will be slow acting. Garden Gypsum, which is medium absorption. Limestone, which is medium absorption, Rock Phosphate and Animal wastes which are both medium/slow absorption. Note: Caution when using gypsum to an already acid soil (pH that is less than 5.5) can have a very bad effect on different types of plants by effecting the absorption of soil aluminum, which is poison to plant roots.

Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics, (which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) you need to flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

Will

1 Like

…but the leaves in those pictures arent curved like in his pix, and I don’t see any necrotic areas in his pics either except for the little bit of the tips and he explained it was like that when he got it. I think you’ll find that it just got a little too much juice Will, and it wasn’t even a severe case, it should be fine

1 Like

@Paranorman, I can see it clearly it could be nutrient burn. Who knows what they fed that plant. If they won’t say then he ( Tom ). Has a starting point at least. He could start with nutrient. Deficiency and work his way down.

Will

1 Like

I have some cal- mag will that work?
Tom

go ahead at half strength ñ. To!

I see it too, and aside from a couple of burnt tips which he said he got it with your telling him to feed more nutes to a plant that already has some signs of newt burn, if I’m understanding you correctly?

What he’s got there is plant showing the first sign of already being over fertilized. he needs to feed it nothing what PH to water and it will be fine, it’s probably fine already.

Cal Mag likely won’t hurt it at half strength but definitely not any more nutes!
-good luck

No I didn’t say feed it more nutrients… What I said was he could …Start with Nutrient Deficiency and work his way to Calcium deficiency nd I still think that , that’s what it is.
At least the start of the deficiency.

Will

Okay, well we’ll have to agree to disagree
-best wishes

I hear ya…it what makes the world go around. But it’s all good my friend besides we wouldn’t have much to day either. .
OK
Wi

Yes, leaf twisting can be from pH or a nutrient salt toxicity. The pH can make a nutrient too available and cause the toxicity. Nutrient salts can build up in the soil and cause the toxicity. And of course over feeding can cause a toxicity.

As far as the pH that is stated, it would help knowing exactly what type of soil or soiless media to have a better idea if 6.7 is too high. If it is going in at 6.3 but out at 6.7, that is a difference of 0.4, which could mean the starting pH in the soil might be as high as 6.7 plus the 0.4 and so the soil might be as high as 7.1, which would certainly be too high for a soil-less mix.

Happy growing,

MacG

Hey I used fox farms ocean mixed with the potting soil it was in when I got it, not sure what it was. Thanks for the info.
Tom