Leafs curling granddaddy purple

Can someone please advise what is going on with these plants.
Fill and drain 5 times daily
Ph 5.9
Ppm 1020. Bc grow
Water temp 68-69 daily right now
Room temp 75-80
Rh varying as low as 25 light on 70+ light off
Leaves started curling a couple days ago
They are 29 days old now
Just started the 5 time cycle yesterday was three time daily water

3 Likes

Wind will make leaves curl up. PH will have a play in that as well.
I believe I would be checking the bottom side of the leaves for bugs.
Leaves like that are usually the results from bugs so small, you’ll need a scope to see them.
It could also be N toxicity along with pH.

Have you had them outside or have they been exposed to anything from outside?

Good luck and keep’em growin! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

Thanks I will check it out I do have two small fans going but not at the plants I try to keep ph at 6 what do you think about the watering schedule and the ppm at 29 days old and the light schedule is 19 on and 5 off. This is only my second time at hydro

1 Like

Is that a hydro setup?

If you don’t mind sharing, what are you using for medium and nutes?
How does your system work exactly? Is that a flood and drain type system?

Ppm’s may be fine depending on nute schedule your following. pH in Hydro = 5.8’ish, pH in soil = 6.5’ish.

Try to get your rh up some since your in veg. 25 is pretty low.

1 Like

Yes I got this system some years ago now it is a simple fill and drain. I have read some and this is my second time trying it. First time I lost most to a mold problem. And this morning the ph was 5.7. I just changed the water times to 5 a day for 15 minutes each time

I am going to treat for pest today to make sure that isn’t the issue. I will will get the rh up somehow. Do you think it could be light burn. Using a 1000 w light. I will try to attach the specs

1 Like

@dbrn32 can you speak about
that light any? :point_up_2:

What do you have in the bucket for medium
Do you top feed?
Does it drain out of the bottom from gravity or do you pump it out.

You could also have root issues if not a good cannabis medium. Shriveled edges can also be root issues.

I don’t think it’s lights… but, db may be able to help there.

I’m gonna tag a few other folks to put there eyes on the situation. :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

@NUG61 @OGIncognito @Graysin @CooterJuice

1 Like

Appreciate the tag Brother. @Oldcatman im a little confused about your set up?? How are these buckets filled and where is the waste? Medium you’re using? @CooterJuice runs flood to drain/waist with great results :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Sorry about the delay to answer. Let try to answer the questions but first a little history. This system belonged to my late son and has been in storage for about 10 years now so I didn’t buy this system. I will tell you what I know.

The buckets are actually two stacked top ones have lots of drain holes to drain to the bottom with the valve. 55 gal tank with pump inside to fill a small bucket on the outside. Then the water gravity feeds the plants. Then the pump inside the little tank empty the plants. Right now I am watering 5 times a day for 15 minutes each time. The medium is a light weight rock. That you can use over and over just wash it each usage. How much do you think I should be watering them. I just about drowned my first try.
Also I have three aquarium air pumps 1 small one in the small holding tank and two in the big tank 1 is for a 60 gal tank. I sprayed for bugs and increased the water by three times a day. And the screen you can see hanging I can cover the light to dim it some. There is something I would like to know and that is, there was two light bulbs in the box. One was just a vapor light and one was a grow bulb. Should I be using both bulbs and when would I switch them.

2 Likes

I would lower your ppm to 600 (500 scale) 5.8 ph. 1000ppm is way high for the size of your plants

3 Likes

Thanks a lot it’s time to change the water anyway. When should I increase ppm and what do you like as a level

2 Likes

I typically run 600-700 in veg. Then gradually increase once in flower to 850-1000 depending on how they are responding. Very rarely have to give much more than 1000ppm in flower

1 Like

I have zero experience with hydro. I’ve only grown indoor in coco. I up the EC in increments of 50 to 100 every feeding until I run into nute burn or hit full strength. I’ve read that in hydro the max is 1000 ppm.

2 Likes

Thanks guys good information

1 Like

That is not lightburn. 1000 w hps huh, love it! Alot of people think only led’s work but old school hps still grows great weed. Not alot of people use it for veg tho, more metal halide for that. Hopefully you got it around 24 inch for veg.

1 Like

What I will say is that I understand the old HPS/MH fixtures tend to run hot. I don’t think heat stress is out of the question. It may not be hot to you just passing your hand under it but imagine being under it at full force for several hours.

The way I solve heat stress like that is to get a cheap desk fan and blow it directly on the light. Get a second one and have it blowing below the light but above the canopy. It won’t reduce your ambient temps any but it will help leaps and bounds with heat dispersion.

2 Likes

When they are air-cooled hoods, the heat not as bad as you would think. My 2 diablos at full power are harder to cool then my hps. Surprised by that myself.

1 Like

Now im looking harder at your pic, cannot tell if that is air cooled or not? Hope so being a 1000.

1 Like

Yes it is air cooled right now the ambient temp in the room is running in the 70’s but I am screening the light some I will add a picture should I be running the grow bulb or the other bulb that was in his box. Looks like mercury vapor bulb the room is 6’x8’ and 7’ tall. I did have problems with heat last summer and plan to add a new led before it gets hot again. I have 4 small led lights hanging to use when the plants get taller I can hang the screen you see to shade some

1 Like

For me its hard to maintain perfect conditions in the summer time. I try to start them in aug so they get the heat and humidity, then flipping in oct so they get the cool. In the pic the ductwork looks like its behind fixture and not running through it. Thats good that it does or i would think it be near impossible to run unless its jan in a basement lol. Good luck hopefully u figure it out

1 Like