Leaf Issue First Grow

Need help. First time grow inside using a tent. This is week 7. Some of the leaves have discolored and some have some Browning at the end of the leaf… my water being tested and I’m watering Sunday and Thursday with nutrients. I just recently raised the light to keep it the preferred 18in away see attached photo

@rotodad

Let me tag a couple of growers that can help.

@CalamityJane
@MeEasy
@Nicky

2 Likes

@rotodad your plants look good, see if it gets worse, if it does could. Be potassium. Deficiency but I always want to know what the tds in and tds out is as well if it’s soil what the PH is of a soil slurry sample (google how to and use distilled water)

@jshewbart58 need the same info from you, looks like magnesium and potassium possibly.

But often it’s a case of flushing and giving a full feed.

1 Like

Right now i have been testing ph levels. Keeping up with this. I have been struggling with the humidity. I started keeping the exhaust fan on 24 hours to keep it down. AK47 strain, happy frog, and gen hydro for nutrients. 3 gallon containers. If I notice runoff in tray after watering, I empty and dispose. You mention tsd need to read more about this. Watering Sunday and Thursday. Thursday is nutrients. Been tucking, tie down, and pruning. First time grow. I should have turn different techniques on different plants to see the better results.

1 Like

Sorry I thought I was giving you a different picture from the first time

1 Like

Hey friend! Your plants look pretty good to me. Nicky had got ya! :wink:

I’m no expert myself but have learned a lot from this site, one thing is to also check your pH and TDS (PPM) on the run off water. It gives you some indication of what is going on within the soil too.
For example, I found even though I was putting 6.5 ph’d water in, the run off would read differently. That way you get a better idea of if you need to make any adjustments to what you’re putting in.

You might need to get your Trust Level increased in order to create topic. But one way to do it is to search for anything then underneath the ‘advanced search’ option there’s plus sign and ‘new topic’.
If there’s not, do some more reading and throw out a few likes to get your trust level increased and you’ll be able to start a new topic.

:v:

3 Likes

You will need a tds meter and a PH meter, along with oh up and ph down.
Basically you have no idea what’s in your soil and how much your feeding. Sounds like your fed to. Much and now your roots are salting off making it unable to access nutrients it will slowly get worse.

You’ll need to get the right tools for the job my friend.

Using a PH meter along with up/down. Using Gen Hydro nutrients measured properly. I am hoping that it is an isolated incident as it appears on only one plant in five. I need to use a portable heater at times to bring the temp correct. I accidentally put the heater too close to the plants one time. I’m wondering if this plant was the one that was too close to the heater. The leaves began to wilt a bit at the time. OOPS. Keeping heater out of tent, putting it next to one of the open flaps near the bottom now.

You mentioned to test the runoff. Is this when / what the the TDS meter is for?

1 Like

Tds is total dissolved solids.
The tds is meant to first measure your water, then you measure your feed because even though a nutrient company says add 1oz of this the ppm should be 650 it could be 900, you need a tds meter for every aspect.

Then you also measure the run off and it is used in a soil slurry sample as well.

IS there a TDS meter that you can recommend? Not sure if that is allowed or not. Still learning the rules.

One more question. So when I get the TDS meter, are there any other items needed (similar to up/down for PH)? Might as well get everything needed.

Thanks for your help. I am still hoping the issue was my fault with the portable heater. Only one plant shows this problem. I rotate the plants after each watering/feeding. I finally have them numbered so I can report on each one. Seeing how they were all the same strain, I didn’t see a need to earlier.

Again thanks for your help.

Any tds meter will work really, whatever you can get fast and it’s cheap. Most people buy whatever is on sale on amazon with decent reviews. It’s a 15$ item. The technology is very basic for today’s standards, a ph meter is where you need to spend money and get calibration fluid etc.

No other items needed that I can think of right now.

Still having problems with one plant. I’ve been getting rid of the bad leaves but it seems as if the issue keeps occurring. The new leaves look right. However the established fan leaves seems to have this discoloration on them. And keep in mind this is one of five plants the other four look good.

Should I just continue to get rid of the damage leaves? Does this appear to be some sort of mold or root rot?

1 Like

Hi maaaate! :wave:

If the discolouration is not showing on newer growth then I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve learned that the old, damaged leaves never really tend to recover. Focus on new growth.

But as you say, it keeps reoccurring so I’m not too sure, I’m not one for diagnosing issues, I’m afraid. I think I would just see how it goes for the time being. If it starts to consume your entire plant then reasses. But I think you’re ok.

Whaddya reckon @Nicky?

Nearly all of my lower fan leaves just fell off by themselves as the plant was cannabilising itself… which isn’t a bad thing. It just means it’s using up nutrients from it own sources, as it would if it were in the great outdoors.

Keep an eye on it and keep us posted. :v:

1 Like

Do you think it’s better to do the tucking of those large fan leaves that are discolored or should I be pruning them off?

The other unusual aspect of this plant with issues is that it does require more water than the others before there is any runoff. I find that to be a little strange. I’m starting to monitor the water intake as I am no longer using32 ounce containers and have gone to the gallons.

Do you have a grill going right now? If so how are you doing

1 Like

Hey :wave:
I don’t think anyone can say what you ‘should’ be doing.
I’ve always been very cautious about cutting of fan leaves whereas others go nuts for it, so it really down to style and preference.
I’m only cautious because I’m still quite new to all this.
They might seem ugly to look at but unlikely they are causing any harm. So it goes back to you and what you feel you should do.
I really don’t think it will damage it at all if you did give ‘em the chop, she’s still in veg, right?

Remind me again what strain this is please…

Oh and yes, here’s the link to my journal, I’ve just started to harvest :grin::grin::grin:

All Aboard the Calamity Jane Train! :steam_locomotive:

I am growing AK 47. At the time I read that it was easy for first growers, and you can control the height. What I didn’t know is how they are one of the more strong odor plants to grow. I will choose something different next time. I still have the issue to where I don’t know if I purchased auto flowering or not. I have no way of finding out from the people I bought it from, so I have to wait and see if it will automatically happen or if I have to make them go into the flowering stage. I’m at eight weeks right now. Expensive science project but it is fun

CalamityJane
May 17

Hey :wave:
I don’t think anyone can say what you ‘should’ be doing.
I’ve always been very cautious about cutting of fan leaves whereas others go nuts for it, so it really down to style and preference.
I’m only cautious because I’m still quite new to all this.
They might seem ugly to look at but unlikely they are causing any harm. So it goes back to you and what you feel you should do.
I really don’t think it will damage it at all if you did give ‘em the chop, she’s still in veg, right?

Remind me again what strain this is please…

Oh and yes, here’s the link to my journal, I’ve just started to harvest :grin::grin::grin:

All Aboard the Calamity Jane Train! :steam_locomotive:

1 Like

Ahh ok cool, so you’ll probably find out very soon then.
Yeah cost soon stacks up but I agree, fun isn’t it! :sweat_smile:

Calcium deficiency.

The plants 8 weeks? Into veg? It seems to not be in flower yet, what your medium?
Have you checked your ppm run in and ppm run off?
Are you feeding nutrients?

Either your not giving enough calcium or you haven’t been feeding to 20% run off and now the salts have built up in the root zone causing PH lockout and displaying as a calcium deficiency

1 Like

I am a newbie. I mentioned 8 weeks in, and that really means since I planted the seeds. I moved them out of the solo cups to 3 gallon containers on 4/18. So mix would say they have been in vegetation state since 4/18, so I guess I am really four weeks in vegetation state. Medium is happy frogs potting soil. Using general hydroponics nutrients. Have apera. Ph20 tester.
I haven’tstarted to check runoff. You just brought this to my attention. Was planning an Amazon purchase on Wednesday for the meter you mentioned.

I also need aheater for the grow room. What do you recommend? Obviously I need timer or thermostat to control temp for different times of day.

1 Like