Lazy Man Wants To Use Coco

I like things to be simple, but I want to use coco coir. I will take the time to pre-soak the coco in a strong calmag solution to prep it, but after that I don’t want to measure anything except the ph of the water. Do any of you growers use Jack’s Classic 20-20-20 fertilizer to grow weed in coco? I really want to just use the 1tbs plastic cup that comes in the tub and eyeball about 1/3 or 1/2 to get the strength of the fertilizer about right, set the ph around 6 and water the plants. Do any of you guys take this lazy approach to growing in coco?

1 Like

Risky and a crap shoot. You should measure your nutrient solution PPMs with a TDS meter.
Coco is definitely not a lazy mans medium, I feed daily in coco :love_you_gesture:

Coco PH should be 5.6-5.9

4 Likes

Yeah I’m with @OGIncognito that’s why I don’t grow in coco I don’t have time to work with it everyday.

3 Likes

Same here. My 1st grow suffered for this reason and auto pots came to the rescue :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

What is your average turnaround time seeds to harvest with autos using Coco.

1 Like

All over the place. Earliest harvest was a Purple Kush at 12 weeks from ground breaking. I’ve run autos and photos and honestly they seem to take about the same time.

2 Likes

Coco and Jacks 321 is as easy as it gets.
Sure I have to water every day, but that takes me 5 to 10 minutes.

1 Like

Thanks @OGIncognito. Maybe I’ll just stick with FFOF.

Dr Bruce Bugbee uses JR Peters / Jack’s 20-10-20

Yes you can use one general fertilizer.
I use Jack’s 321 formula. With a good scale it takes a minute to weigh and add to water. It takes another couple minutes to pH and adjust the solution to 5.8 or 5.9 for coco.
Autopots makes it easy. I have two plants in autopots. I have one in a tent that I top feed.
Now that the top fed plant is so large I have to feed every day - 5 gallon rain science bag.
I mix up 12 - 14 liters. Give half one day and the rest the next day. I mix up the same amount for the autopots. I top off the reservoir about every 4th day.
This is right after 21 day defoliation of the top fed plant

This is one of the autopot plants. These two, even though the same strain, are very different than the one in the tent. Smaller and don’t consume as much.

2 Likes

Thanks , I was curious Never used coco myself but I heard people say that they grow faster I think I’ll just stick to what I know. (Soil)

1 Like

Give one plant a try in coco. Side by side with your soil. Depending on the nutrients you use it may or may not be an easy transition. It was an easy move for me. I was up to ten bottles of Adv Nutrients in FF OF. I find coco to be much easier.
Right now I can’t see going back to soil. If anything it would be full hydro. Doubtful but never say never.

4 Likes

I wanted to be able to walk away from plants for a few days if necessary so set up an automated watering setup using a small pump, a wavemaker and some tubing on a timer. Working great so far.

6 Likes

I might try that my next grow with one an see how it works for me. I never use more than one bottle of Dyna-gro Bloom with 4 plants in one grow. Maybe half a bottle of foliage with the ocean usually good 5 weeks easy. Thanks @beardless

Coco isn’t for the lazy or cheap for sure. I prefer the ease of soil even with the smaller yields.

I’m doing autos in coco for the first time and I’ll say 10-20 day longer veg with the coco. My soil autos start flowering about day 40ish latest while in coco I had one just barely start flowering on day 55 and one on 47ish. Having to feed them daily makes them unnecessarily big for autos and uncontrollable almost. I’ve grown big autos in soil but they were more predictable and controllable.

3 Likes

Agree with the others. You can probably make a general purpose fertilizer work for the most part, but nothing lazy about hand feeding in coco. If you don’t have watering system you maybe want a super soil and some tea mixtures

1 Like

Thanks @Bluntsmoke , Once I get rolling good in soil I opened my tent once every 3 days to water or feed an prune. Personally the only reason I would look at Coco would be quicker turnaround time. The way I see it, my work load would change from 2 hours a week to 7 hours a week in the tent. Happy growing my friend !

2 Likes

Get jacks 321 and canna coco. Best bet and easiest to use. Mix the 3 parts and pH it and water away. Use the same mix veg thru flower. No guessing. U can weigh up a weeks worth in about 5 minutes and be ready to go. Mix pH and water. Super easy.

2 Likes

I agree canna coco and jacks321 would be the easiest way to go if you really want to go the coco route . Thats exactly what i use and has been working great thus far. I can get away with watering/feed every other day but some plants do usually like to have it everyday depending on strain and environment/ light setup . Good luck whatever way you go but from my experience the coco is definitely alot nore involved than using something like FFOF/FFHF

2 Likes