Late Supercropping

I’ve got 2 ladies that are about 2 and a half weeks into flowering. They could use some supercropping of a few branches to bring light on some of the lower flowering sites, but I’m concerned about doing it after I’ve flipped them.

Yay or nay?

2 Likes

This early in flower shouldn’t be a problem as long as your stems are soft enough. I don’t super crop but have accidentally broken stems while in flower, taped them up and they were not only OK but seemed to grow back stronger and actually produced bigger buds.

4 Likes

I only super crop during flower. When you see branches stretching over others I crush the stem a bit . This helps in multiple ways, it halts growth of the faster rising stems but also sends more energy into that area which can cause them to bulk up a bit more

4 Likes

Thanks, guys. I went ahead and did some SCing. I pinched to bruise the stems first to make sure that I wouldn’t be snapping one off. It should really help to get some additional light on those lower sites. I prune off most of the lower growth. I always leave at least 3 nodes on top, but I’d rather try to maximize what I can rather than than just cutting all of those lower bud sites off. The plants still have quite a bit of growing to go.

2 Likes

Sounds like you do exactly what I do with the grooming methods. Always feel like I take too much at first then later feel like I should have taken more

2 Likes

I grow compact, dense plants, so I do an awful lot of pruning. I mess with them until I’m happy and then 3 days later they’ve grown out and I have to do it again. :rofl:

1 Like

Oh…I almost go to a point where it’s painful to look at them

2 Likes

It’s a yay from me. I’m 2 weeks into flower and have no choice but to super crop with no problems so far. I made the mistake of pinching too near the top and they grew from the horizontal position back up to the vertical in an odd looking u shape. I was around 10inches from the top of the main stem and wished I had done it further down. They’re very resilient though and seem to bounce back easily enough

1 Like

It’s why I asked. I think SCing is considered HST, but every time I’ve done it the plant has trucked right through it like nothing happened.

1 Like

I’ve done super cropping in Veg all the way in late Flower stages. But I prefer to let my ladies go ballistic.

@MidwestGuy agreed and never a problem so far

No pictures? … it never happened!

You can’t see much bending here, but you can see that the canopy has been leveled. I folded 6 or 8 branches down.

That looks sweet! Now aim to get 1 branch through each hole and yer golden!

1 Like