Last Place plant of summer?

One thing I can say for sure, the poly is tough as nails! Very durable, no stretch at all. Pretty puncture proof too as far as poly goes. I’ve prices out the industrial grade poly that many commercial greenhouse growers replace after 2 seasons, surprisingly they are somewhat comparable. Glass would be nicer for R value but the price for diffuser glass is out of this world! As well, for liability reasons all greenhouse glazing needs to be tempered for obvious reasons! That also drives the price up a bunch. I figure that even if I need to replace my poly every 10 years, I’ll be dead and burned before I even come close to the price of a glass house.

The other option is to go polycarbonate! That last longer the poly, is obviously more durable and will eat hail for breakfast, it’s also a bit cheaper than glass.

I will keep this product in mind for sure but you would be supprized how much next to free glass you can get at a second hand store.
My dad built a whole wrap around sun room on his massive house out of sliding glass doors, he knew the local glass guy and everytime he had an old door he replaced he just had my dad come grab it then we siliconed it all together.
I don’t have the best pictures but yeah here it is, all sitting in a metal channel we made.
To cut one piece (due to size on the corner) was more expensive then all the glass we used for the sun porch FB_IMG_1571527945579
FB_IMG_1571527939335
Don’t mind my old family motorhome haha… My dad’s an old frugal hippy with an amazing mind and work ethic…or he’s powered by sativas I’ve never quite figured that part out

I’m a huge sativa fan! Not big into indica. That’s a pretty nice looking place!
On a side note, plants do prefer diffused light over sun through glass. It’s pretty intense light, plants will tend to protect themselves from intense sun and production slows down. Part of the issue with low E glass is it filters UV and some other needed light so that’s out, and straight glass is too hot in direct light. Greenhouse glass, like the stuff they use in tomato hot houses in the lower mainland can only be bought cheaply in bulk. This poly is really very good, a friend that moved here from the Yukon turned us on to this stuff because they used it for 12 years up there! Many pot growers around here use it because it calms the intense summer heat. I’ve been in some greenhouses that feel beautiful, like warm but not hot in the heat of the day. No electric fan, just roll up 2 feet on the bottom and open up the top!

1 Like

I’m from the Okanagan and a family friend had an organic farm in the area.
Definitely taking the light diffusion into account now.
I’m glad I learned something from this post thanks man. I do like the idea of having something solid though…

How did you secure yours like if I frame up a lean-to green house to cover it in clear poly you don’t want to staple it or nail it…

These corrugated poly panels look like a good idea, light diffusion and R value.
See the thing with glass is you can frost it at home very easily.
Couple different ways.

The poly can be secured with fastener strips, also for sale, but I and many others cheap out and use wooden lathe strips and duplex nails. Works fine. Never take the poly down, stays up all winter for 10 years or more unlike conventional greenhouse poly, you maybe get 3 to 5 years out of it. We live in the Shuswap!

My parents are in Tappen! Hahaha Infact when we leased our farm out for a while there was a multi million dollar illegal grow in all our hog barns for a handful of years until Vancouver swat showed up and then they notified us! Haha. Now my parents are looking to se the ranch to retire as they are finishing running sheep, goats, horses and haying.

Yeah the slats is what I’ve seen as well but don’t those nails lead to leaks?

Probably gonna build a lean-to greenhouse to go on my back fence
best_buy_polycarbonate_greenhouse_white_lg

Something along these lines.

Not if you wrap the poly over the lathe pull tight and nail it. As I said they do make channel strips with an insert that works really well bit they are kinda spendy. I would certainly use the channels if I was taking the poly down each winter. But since I figure 20 bucks a year average cost for my poly is good enough that there is no need to take it down. I’ll just replace it. I’ll go take a picture of the greenhouse so you can see what I’ve done.

so this is 12x12x20 the bottom 2 feet will roll up and the top 2 feet will open for the whole length, passive ventilation. The end wall framing is not done yet, I still need to mill the lumber, I have a door for it. To keep the hoops straight I will use 1x4 straps with electrical conduit clamps. The top fo the back wall, the last 4 foot row of plywood gets cut lengthwise and hinged for venting. The inside of the lower walls will be lined in used roofing metal and organic based soil piled directly on the ground. 24" diameter cedar logs ripped in quarters will keep the soil in. The floor will be 3/4 crush rock for weed control primarily.

1 Like

I agree I don’t want to take my poly down, I’m just having a hard time seeing the strapping in my. Mind even when you explain it.
If you drive a nail through it that creates a hole… I mean I Geuss it would be very minor.

Well when I plan mine I’ll tag you if I remember lol, good chat man

Yes it makes a hole but it squeezes too. If you envision standing facing the structure, roll the poly by tucking the free end under the lathe so the poly runs over the lathe and water doesn’t collect in it. In this way, I can have my 1x4 strapping where I want to be able to roll up my poly for venting, i then leave 30" or so to hang and wrap that in PVC tubing so I can lift it up.

1 Like

Ahhh

K with the last 30" at the bottom that raises and lowers how do you deal it to the greenhouse. I was thinking industrial Velcro just now

I plan to place a stand on either end to hook the pole onto. And on the inside I will hang driving range netting so deer can’t reach in and eat my plants. I will be growing vegetables too lol.

1 Like