Land race Indica harvest

No you can get Landrace and heritage seed at a few places. The term landrace is kinda misleading these days, particularly since landrace more less denotes a wild plant growing in its native environment. However, because cannabis doesnt really exist that way in a modern sense, except for ruderal ( non drug ) strains, the term has moved to describe plants that are cultivated in their origin without intentional hybridization. That being said, pollen ensures crops from miles away can breed.
RSC sells both ( landrace ) and heritage as well as a few other vendors. I grow pretty much exclusively landraceā€¦ Balkh, Tashkurghan and Lebanese are o the menu this year. These seed were collected by the local farmers in their regions, they are hashish makers by trade. If you really enjoy original strains ( domesticated landrace ) I recommend you check RSC out, so.e good reading there too.
Here is last years Balkh

3 Likes

What modern cuts lack typically is everything but thcā€¦ makes me paranoid and anxious. You are like manybif us that are seeking a better balance in terpines and ratio of thc to other cannabinoids such as cbd and thcv. Oh and @Daniel54 welcone to the siteā€¦ really nice plants you have there tooā€¦ very nicely done.

2 Likes

I let that one pass. Thatā€™s the reason Iā€™m working to make an IBL with it. Itā€™s not at all stable in F2.

1 Like

Very effective. I have done it with an auto or two but not photos. Usually go manifold / mainline.
And welcome great addition

Thanks Iā€™ll refrain from using landrace titles , donā€™t want to be miss leading others , lol, but yes terpines and Canaboids , yummy lol

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up , I will look into these other strains as you suggested, soil is best

1 Like

Thanks lst only for me , leave the leaves and so on , I noticed with no defoliation the buds swell a lot more

Its a great plant that I believe would qualify as heritafe at this point, but again the term landrace is pretty watered down these days :laughing:

1 Like

How would you define ā€œHeritage?ā€

I assumed your use was synonymous with ā€œHeirloom,ā€ which to me means relatively True Breeding in a large sample size.

1 Like

Thats debated all the time, and I believe each cultivar responds differently or in their own way to manipulation. I still routinely remove useless plant material as they get bigger. And I always remove interior bud sites and interior brances that wont produce much anyways. Just good house keeping

1 Like

Yep! That what I meanā€¦

And in reality, many " landrace" are just that now anyways right?
The " landrace " Ive been growing tend to be very predictableā€¦ obviously open pollenated and on a large scale for decades.

1 Like

The current Black Domina available from Sensi Seeds may well be F8+. I do not know. Iā€™m using genetics out of the late 90ā€™s, and they have only been open pollinated twice in the intervening years. The white label seeds available from various vendors are a big question mark for me.

I really doubt that Sensi has retained the two parents of the first Black Domina crop since '94, but itā€™s possible. I think itā€™s more likely that they bred it towards the flowering time and then the SOG-friendly structure. Iā€™m going to have to inquire.

1 Like

You are likely right about that, your inquiry may be met with half truths about origins?
Its a cool plant for sure, growing one has been on my radar for a couple years, though Im not sure how well it would fair in the greenhouse? Might not even finish?

1 Like

I feel that Landrace is, as you said, a cultivar thatā€™s open-pollinated in a particular environment by a particular people with particular practices. Theyā€™re the domesticate versions of their indigenous wild-type neighbors. And cross-pollination with their wild neighbors occurs. To me, the landrace cultivars are the genetic repositories of our community.

I just recently purchased 4 (supposed) landrace/IBL varietals. They were quite expensive, but Iā€™m trying to do my part to preserve the breadth.

2 Likes

I have grown 3 crops of black domina and 2 different phenos from same seeds ? Not there yet as being stabilized . You would figure a f8 would be stable , so maybe as you suggested.

1 Like

Yes thats a pretty good description! The issue today is the infiltration of hybridized cannabis from elsewhere into these large open pollenated crops of original genetics. Some of the farmers have been duped by unscrupulous millionaire cannabis seed hunters into trading so called superior genetics for landrace genetics, I think you may have an idea who I may be referring too? That and tourists introducing pollen and or seed from pot they bought in another town along the spice trail. Twist one up and drop some errant seed on the ground from a bag of seedy field pot. Anyway, get it now before its gone.

2 Likes

Thats kinda the main difference between many ( landraces ) and modern stabilized cultivars. A new strain requires several iterations to become somewhat stable, landraces have had decades of iterations with the occasional introduction from a crop 10 miles away or so. Maybe a farmer from another district shares some seed. The plants are similar in character due to local climates and soil conditions / growing practices. The image I showed is of 2 similar yet distinct landracesā€¦ similar in that they both originate in the Balkh province of Afghanistan, distinct in that they have slightly different growing characteristics and terpine profiles. One is a globe shape and very branchy, the other is pine tree shaped and less branchy. They both have huge fan leaves. They are not classed as indicas and are definately not sativas, they have what us now been accepted as their own distinct class which is Afghanica.

Oh sorry posting pic nowā€¦ you can see the obvious differences in shape

2 Likes

So is that a stable plant with two different phenos?

Itā€™s a tough situation because the peasant farmers have as much right as anyone to use the genetics from Europe/N. America. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t mind donating extra cash to support preservation work.

1 Like