Lady bugs!? 🐞 anyone hippodamia convergens

So I ordered some ladybugs off of Amazon and the only package that was available sent me 1500 don’t think I need that many and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with them as far as how many I might need to release for a room that is 25’x6’ I don’t mind if you have them in the house but I just don’t want to release them and end up with an infestation lol any help on this topic would be great
@Graysin @dbrn32 @VirginiaGrowBoy @PurpNGold74 @kellydans @Spiney_norman @BudzMS

3 Likes

never used them and didnt know you could buy them lol. there is someone in here that uses them but i cant remember who. someone will know and chime in

3 Likes

I have the ladybugs but not by my choice vacuum them out of the window seals quite often don’t really know how to get rid of them. They might be great for some people but they are a pain in the ass to me.
Good luck :v:

6 Likes

I would probably not be brave enough to release them indoors :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

All 1500

2 Likes

I assume you have aphids or some other pest and imho, Let the purge begin!
Unleash everyone you got and hopefully they eat every pest available and then they will eventually die off when no food source left.

Better to have lasy bugs everywhere than aphids or so other pest eating your crop :grin:

6 Likes

Lemon oil spray. Most likely you have the invasive Asian Lady Beetle the rest of the USA is overran with. They look very similar.

4 Likes

lmao, after that you should post them on Amazon for sale

2 Likes

Not me, sorry.

1 Like

It says it’s the North American lady bug

2 Likes

I do not have any bugs as far as I know but I have 4-5 weeks of flower left and just want insurance policy. I plan on giving them a little habitat in a shoe box with food and water. Only one way to find out I guess. :thinking:

1 Like

1500 should ravage the food source, for sure.

2 Likes

We use them and they work wonderfully. We bought some houses for them and put food out for them for when pests get scarce. Every tent and grow room now has some resident ladybugs. They do a great jub wothout crapping on everything and they look cool on the green plants. No more pests

3 Likes

I’ve heard they go towards the light and fry themselves. I would rather have ladybugs than pests, but if you don’t have a infestation they will starve and you waisted your money.

3 Likes

We put out a small flat lid w honey and they eat that when bugs are scarce.

3 Likes

Thanks @2GreenThumbs I was told they was released in this area By the government a few years ago to save the dieing hemlocks. Doesn’t seem to be working I see them dead everywhere on the Parkway. I will definitely try the lemon oil.

2 Likes

Found this for keeping the excess alive until you release them indoors or outside.

How to Feed Ladybugs

You can feed the ladybugs with 10% syrup. Simply dissolve sugar with water in a 1:9 ratio. Pour the syrup into a small container (eg. a bottle cap) and fit a cotton ball or sponge into that container. This allows the ladybugs to feed on the syrup without drowning.

Change the cotton or wash the sponge and replenish the syrup every week. Be careful when replenishing the syrup to prevent spillage.

If you prefer to give them solid food, you can also feed them with raisin. Soak a piece of raisin in water for a few minutes to soften it. Place the softened raisin in a bottle cap and offer it to your ladybugs. Add more raisin once the existing one is consumed. Replace unconsumed raisin every 3 – 4 days.

5 Likes

I put out some dried cranberries and a soaked cotton balls for water. I only released about 100 of them. But yes one has already flown in the light and fried herself! I’m just gonna see how they do amd release them slowly. My house is cold as fuck this time of year. Like 48•F :thinking: so I don’t imagine there gonna venture out of the warmth of the flower room to far.

2 Likes

:pray:t4: thank you

If you don’t have a bug problem, I would not release ladybugs into my grow space.