Kind soil pot question

@SilentHippie @Kcdaniels I just ordered 25# Kind soil to give it a try. They are out of stock on all their 5 gal Root stopper pots. I emailed them but thought I would ask here also. Does anyone know if fiber pots are needed for the soil to work correctly or can you use any kind of plastic landscape pots?

Thanks RAP

2 Likes

I bought my 5gal fiber pots on Amazon…as far as if they are needed for a successful grow I can’t answer that…but I am following there grow directions to a “T”… :sunglasses: fyi I’m loving the “kind” grow so far !
When you start your grow please tag me…
Good luck

2 Likes

Will do thanks. I will order some fiber pots today also.

1 Like

@Kcdaniels Like these?
https://www.amazon.com/247Garden-5-Pack-Gallon-Aeration-Handles/dp/B013JM3JSA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3A6QH3ZSUKXK6&keywords=247+garden+5-pack+5+gallon+grow+bags&qid=1553292895&s=gateway&sprefix=247%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-3

2 Likes

Those should work fine…I ordered the “squat pot” which is lower in height than the regular size as I need to stay as low as possible because of ceiling height limitations…

2 Likes

I got the reply from Kind soil. They said NO PLASTIC POTS! They suffocate the living soil. Makes perfect sense. They recommend Root Trapper II. The ones from their site that are out of stock but gave me a link to them. They are $7.50 ea but I don’t know if I can show the link as it is not Amazon. So is there that much of a difference between $7.50 ea or $10 for five?

1 Like

I use 5 gallon fabric pots. The root trappers seemed a bit pricey and I’ve had no problems with the ones I’m using. Good luck on the Kind soil grow. Tag me when you get started and I’ll be glad to help.

2 Likes

@Kcdaniels Are these considered squat pots?

https://www.amazon.com/MELONFARM-5-Pack-Gallon-Plant-Grow/dp/B074KZQPKZ/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=5+gallon+fiber+pots&qid=1553298079&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-12

2 Likes

Yep that’s the same size as mine…I just didn’t see the word "squat " but measurements are the same…

1 Like

Ok thanks, after researching and looking for “squat”, they look different, but my first link of the 247 pots also say 12" wide 10" tall. Thanks for the help/. I am ordering something today.

I was just telling the wife that the 1-2 and 3 week plants I have in the tent now look better than any I have ever grown. She commented they are like a model on a magazine cover where everything was “Photoshopped” to look perfect :grinning: That is as good a complement as you can get. You guys have been awesome helping me.

1 Like

When growing with fiber pots do you keep them sitting on a flat surface or raise them a bit so there is air on bottom also?

1 Like

Raise them up. Get some wire shelving, or the like, to get them up. Not only for getting air under them but so you can also collect runoff

2 Likes

I found this at Home Depot made of rubber and when cut will have 9 pieces at 12”x12” each and has rubber bumps on bottom for water flow and will place them in the saucers and cloth pots on top of that.

Haven’t used it yet but am planning on it in a few weeks when big ones finish and transplanting little ones into rootmaker II 7 gallon squats and using Kind Soil on my second grow.

Does this set up seem like it will work out with the rubber mats for raising up the pot minimally but allow drainage?

2 Likes

For runoff, Kind Soil recommends not to water until runoff. This is why I asked about if raising off the bottom is needed. I am going to follow @SilentHippie advice and water 1 qt at a time till runoff is seen then stop to figure out watering needs. I think I am more worried about fungus on the bottom if it sits on the tray and there is no air.

2 Likes

I keep them an inch or so off the floor in plastic trays. The only reason is, my tent is in the basement and I don’t want my pots sitting directly on the the concrete floor. The concrete is cold and I’ve read that it may cause the root zone to stay cold, slowing growth. If you’re watering until the first sign of runoff, you shouldn’t have too much water sitting in the trays. You can always draw out the runoff if you get too much.

Don’t tell Kind soil but any time I get enough runoff to measure, I check it out of curiosity. It’s always been around 6 to 6.5. A little piece of mind goes a long way.

My usual watering in a 5 gallon pot when my plants are established is 1 to 1 1/25 gallons of Ph’d water every 4 days or so. My limited experience has shown that cannabis plants deal with underwatering much better than overwatering. The fabric pots help with overwatering but this method has worked for me.

3 Likes

I swear by the root trapper II pots myself. normal fabric pots will work just fine but I definitely seen some results when I made the switch to root trapper pots. I don’t really know enough or remember enough about them to explain how they’re different to normal fabric pots but I do remember reading/hearing there is a difference and it showed in my grow with them. from what I remember apparently the guy who made fabric pots a thing is the same guy who made root trapper II pots, they’re just an update to fabric pots and fix a design flaw I think. you’ll be fine either route you take.

4 Likes

I also keep mine about an inch off the floor except I just don’t use plastic trays as I don’t water to runoff, I stop right before runoff and very rarely have a small accident here and there due to doing it so much over time that I just know how much they need I guess. these are what I use to lift my pots off the ground, they can be stacked double if you want to raise them 2 inches off the ground, I use 3 or 4 per pot. kinda expensive but last forever.

3 Likes

just realized my link didn’t work or maybe I just forgot to send it lmao sorry I’ve smoked a bit much.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QDT1B0/?coliid=I29655EJ59Y5Q8&colid=2V4JUXH2W759Q&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

3 Likes

Even though I am no pro I have a couple of suggestions. Don’t plant directly into those 5 gal pots. Use the solo cups until they fill that cup with roots. Also make sure you put lots of perlite in your soil. This will be vital for root growth.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your info and experiences. @Oldsoldier1976 My plants right now are in 4" pots, up from 3"peat pot . I will start a grow journal when I get the kind soil next week. You can see the plants now on another couple threads I have going. Just deciding on Ocean Forest or Happy frog for the top layer :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes