Keeping temperature down during flowering

Having my hands full keeping my temperatures down while in flowering. Running a 4x4 with a 6 inch Ac infinity extractor fan and carbon filter. Running both of them outside the tent to allow for max light height being my light is 43inches x 45 inches in size. With my tent buttoned up so tight to avoid light leaks passive intake through the one bottom vent port isnt doing the job. Looking for a recommendation on some form of intake to help pull cooler air into my tent from my lung room which typically runs around 70-72 degrees. Unfortunately my tent is pushing 85-88 right now.

3 Likes

I use this one to pull air from my lung room :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Thanks OG ill give it a look. Im guessing the most important thing is to keep the pressure negative in the tent extracting more heat then intaking more cool.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I use… I use an inkbird temp controller with it in the cooling plug in… Works great.

2 Likes

@TrapPlay26 What light are you using? Also which AC exhaust fan are you using?

I basically keep the fresh air circulating and exhausting and will crack a flap when the sides get sucked in :joy::love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

I am able to keep my AC infininty exhaust set at 3-5 constantly… And injecting the cold air when necessary.

@TrapPlay26 the negative air pressure I believe is mainly for the carbon filter to work… With out negative pressure the smelly air gets out through other ways.

2 Likes

Kindled x750 with the AC Infinity 6 inch extraction fan carbon filter setup.

1 Like

Do you use DLI?

If you have the light cranked up… It could produce more heat… If you check your dli with the light at the correct/suggested height above canopy… You may possibly be able to turn down your light… Reducing heat.

Only running 75% on both channels to try and limit heat. At roughly 6-10 inches from canopy

Might comsider uping to an 8 inch exhust.

2 Likes

My tent is set up in the garage with the flaps open against the wall. No heat issues or light leaks

1 Like

I have a 8 in AC Infinity on a 69pro controller. I struggle sometimes even with it keeping temps down until i turn on the Air Conditioning.

1 Like

I removed the ballast from my T-1000s and placed them outside the tent. Removing that heat source makes a big difference.

2 Likes

Ya, you should have an intake fan and in your case i would recomend having a pvc pipe manifold that runs across floor of tent in between plants that blow the air straight up helping to exhaust the heat more efficiently. Just how i like to do mine thats all.

3 Likes

If you want to lower temps you could locate the ballast outside, there should be a remote cable for that light.
What fan do you have, the T6?
If you want more airflow, where are your restrictions? Your existing fan might want more intake area. Excess bends & tubing will also hurt airflow. Carbon filters can be restrictive. You can flow the fan unrestricted to get a baseline & then start adding in the restrictions to see how much they cost you in airflow, & then decide what to do. You might optimize what you have & find that your existing fan isn’t enough & that you need a more powerful one anyway.

Some easy flow data I took from a drying cab I just put together.

First I baselined the 4" fan by itself save for the couple inches of straight exhaust tubing & 4" outlet flange, running at 100% power, door open. All measurements were taken at 100% fan power. Also it’s important to make sure that the swing-vane is lower than parallel when the fan is running at 100% unrestricted, otherwise the readings will probably be inaccurate. I taped some extra paper to the end to weigh mine down.
First I took baseline fan readings. The top green line is the unrestricted fan w/ door open, first red line is 25% restricted fan intake, middle red line is 50% restricted, bottom red line is 75% restricted. I held up a piece of foam board against the fan intake to block off 25% of the inlet, & then used tape to block off 50% & 75%.
Then the green lines & dashed lines were made as I added back the restrictions. The top green line was again the unrestricted fan, the dashed line right below it is with the door closed with open 6" tent intake. So I know that the fan is flowing pretty close to max CFM with the 6" open intake. But I want to run a light-trap/dust filter on the tent intake. I install that & the flow drops down to the middle green line. I know that adding more light trap dust filter intakes will raise that up until it reaches the dashed green line again. If the ‘last one’ ends up being too much intake & I want to add a little negative pressure back on it, I could partially block an intake until I got it where I want it. But I’m also running a carbon filter. When I add that, the flow drops down to the bottom green line with the door closed. The lower dashed green line is with the door open, so at that point I know that the carbon filter is the main restriction & the tent’s not going to gain any flow with this fan simply by adding more intake area. I would also need to run a more free-flowing carbon filter. Or I could go to a more powerful fan, maybe something that doesn’t fall off as hard when presented with big restrictions. For my application as a drying cabinet it should be fine as it is, but if I were running lights in it, I would flow the fan & set the intake area to reach max flow, & then work on identifying & reducing any other restrictions as much as possible to get as close to the unrestricted max flow as possible, & I might end up discovering that the fan is not enough even when optimized, & I would go to a more powerful fan & then go through & flow it & the cab again, step by step. The little 12" carbon filter I picked is a bitch, it’s stealing around 60% cfm by itself.

1 Like

Wow you did some research. Nice information. Im definitely going to have to try something different to get my environment dialed in. Im going to put my 6 inch Ac Infinity inline exhaust fan inside the tent and have no bend on the ducting and see if it helps any. The extension cord for my kindled x750 to move my power supply outside the tent has been out of stock for over 3 months now which is very frustrating for a company thats been around as long as they have.

Are you able to move the drivers for your lights out of the tent?

1 Like

Unfortunately not until kindled gets their crap together and gets the extension cord in stock that allows me to move the driver outside the tent.

1 Like

Do you have any electrical experience? You should be able to fairly easily build any extension cord, and at any length needed. All you would need to do is to (unplug everything before you start) cut the cord that goes from the driver to the light, and then get some cord and connectors with the proper number of conductors (likely 2), and just make sure to not cross the wires when connecting to the connectors.

If you don’t have any experience, maybe you know someone.

1 Like