Keeping males from females, germination

A question from a fellow grower:

I was looking for information on how far away to keep male plants from female ones so they don’t get pollenated. The Internet says between 4 feet & 20 miles! I liked what you said about not wasting time with non-feminized seeds - and as a beginner, use a strain that’s “forgiving.” That made a lot of sense to me so I downloaded the guide.

There’s a lot of information on The Web - it can get very confusing. How about an article dispelling the most common myths & misconceptions? I tried to germinate 40 seeds (different strains) by placing them in shot glasses with half-strength fertilizing solution on a heating mat for 24 hours before planting them in peat pods. Only 3 sprouted. : (

My new method is to soak them for 24 hours in distilled water - no heat - then place them in cut down (3 inches) Styrofoam cups with 2 parts shifted peat moss, 1 part Perlite, 1 part Vermiculite, and only distilled water until the first true leaves appear, then water with half strength fertilizer. I’m 3 for 3. : ) Any tweaks to my method?

First let me say…Welcome to ILGM

You won’t find a better place than right here. The people here will help you with just a!bout anything that you can come up with. But you’ll find this out your self.

Ok first this I show I’d it. I pace my seeds on paper towel witch is on a plate. Using water I soak my seeds on paper towel then cover them with another paper towel.
Never let the paper go dry. Just keep the paper most.
My seeds always germaanate within 24 hours.at 95% germination rate.

2nd. Never feed your seedling nutrients. They have their own. You will burn your seedling if you feed them…ok

After soaking 40 seeds and getting 3 to germanate should tell you that something’s wrong.

Well I hope gthis helps and I’m sure someone else will jump in

B Safe
Will

All ways best to plant directly in soil and place then sideways , this will ensure germination. Many breeders use the soak method to determine the % of germination rate’s for their new seeds