Keeping clones in a veg. till spring? Need help

Ok my buddy just gave me two clones of ILGM Strawberry kush he was so proud of. Only 2wks and have nice roots and look good. He clipped them from a plant well into flower. Ive always cut my clones during veg or preflower but he says its ok to do and it has good healthy roots. But the problem is it was my bday gift and i didnt want to turn them down but i dont have room in my grow room for them. And i am growing wwa. 4 plants under a scrog in a 4x4x5 space. So plan is keep alive till spring and put outside. But thats like 7months away as fall is just coming in now. I am planning on finishing out a harvest of autos then starting a bunch of photo. Plants for outdoor grow next spring. Sorry for the rambling, my question is what is the min. Light i can give them to just survive until i can use them? Can i give them a simple clf in the corner of my grow room at 18/6 light? And if im not flowering them and they will just be vegging how important is “complete” dark ?

3 Likes

I think you could treat them like mothers and just leave them under the veg lighting schedule but you need to provide enough light for the size plants
I would also put them in a small cloth pot to stunt the growth maybe 1 or 3 gallon pots depending on size of clones
As far as taking cuttings while in full flower that’s great to do it’s a technique called monster cropping
I’ll tag you into my outdoor grow I have a monster cropped ssh clone under a out door scrog screen
@Familyman420

1 Like

thats called monster cropping and the reason they call it that is because they usually grow larger than the mother.

As far as keeping plants over the winter, you can’t stick them in the basement in the dark like you can some plants. My dad used to do with gardenias.

Art least I don’t think you can.

1 Like

Lol first off if you plan to keep clones for prolonged duration forget the rules about keeping them well fed and super happy. You actually want to limit growth as much as possible smaller pots limit root space and therefore plant size feed less often only enough to keep them happy not bursting with less growth reduce light intensity use t5’s or cfl’s keep temps slightly cooler. I grow from clones and have mother plants which I keep for prolonged periods I implement all these tricks in my mother space which keeps my ladies small yet healthy :wink:
I grow indoors so I also rotate biggest mothers out when I want but I could if I desired keep ladies around 1’-18" indefinitely have 2-3 month old clones that size and once I want them to grow I transplant and start reg feeds move to better light within a few weeks they are growing like crazy :slight_smile: I take some cuttings then flower them out and cycle continues

5 Likes

Your wwa is not going to last until spring: That’s something like 60-75 days from sprout to harvest. So your grow chamber will be free soon enough.

You could also grow them out as mothers, take cuttings and grow those clones out, etc. until spring and then put all those plants outside. You can veg for years if you keep trimming.

2 Likes

@1BigFella I must not explained well. Im counting on the wwa being done in less then 90 days. Im dropping them in dirt sat. I just need my equipment to start all my photo plants for outdoors around jan.1st. These 2 strawberry kush clones and gold leaf from seeds are OD. Then after i get those girls outside in spring ill continue with my indoor. After this summers spur of moment gorilla grow of skunk#1 i will always be doing a outside crop for as long as im poor and or need my meds.I could never grow plants this size indoors. They are finishing a bit late as most people in pa were closer to harvest and when we got clouds and rain for a week everyone else got mold and cut early. Mine got 3 or so weeks left,no mold, happy and fat and lush just the way i like my girls…

2 Likes

Thanks @Donaldj. That was the info i was looking for… Yeah just need them alive and taking as little space as possible. What do u think min light requirements for just two small clones to live off of? Can i install a single clf bulb in corner of the room for both plants and hang it so its close to them and they dont stretch? What do u suggest for soil? Can i just use a plain soil or cheapy soil since my ss is pricey?

@bob31 Thanks for that answer. I didnt know that is what “monster cropping” is. One of my concerns was being clones with no tap root these two wouldnt get as big, there for might not be a great outdoor choice, so thats good news. Thanks good day when i learn something new.

1 Like

You would need more than 1 and are likely better off with a t5 or t8 but you could easily enough make a 3-4 cfl shade but remember they will need 16-18hr’s of light

You can use fairly cheap soil just keep in mind no or low fertilizer content 6-8" pot you want to be the one who controls how often they eat and the goal is not to have explosive growth just slow and steady

1 Like

this is the only clone that i kept. And she really wants to grow. 2 monster cropped superskunk clones lived, i picked the best looking one and culled off the other one.

2 Likes

here is updated picture. Thus thing really wants to grow. Ive been playing with it, since it isnt one i wanted or paid for ive been expiermenting on it. I FIM’d 7 tops and using LST i keep pulling every new growth back down, and daily it just sends new ones up. It’ll be interesting to see what she looks like by spring(5 1/2 months from now) when i put her out side and let really grow?!?!?

1 Like

You are going to need a trellis or three to support her or she will be splitting branches off. Remember I said that lol. I think she could become a real monster. Keep those updates coming! @Familyman420

2 Likes

Why does it look like they are under HPS? red spectrum lights tend to promote stretch

2 Likes

I agree. Plants don’t seem to be showing it much though. I wonder if that’s some lens or filter playing tricks on us.

1 Like

@Donaldj it looks like a hps bc it is. Its a 400hps and 2x300led’s bc its in the back corner of my grow room wich currently has my wwa in mid-late flower(20 days left give or take) The clone was given too me, so wasmt really trying to have any photo period plants but uts doing well. Plan on letting it get root bound for a time to keepnit smaller till closer to spring

2 Likes

I have to agree, defently going to need some trellising to hold it up. As a monster cropped clone it is very vigorous plant. Cant compare it to superskunk but ive done plenty of clones and this one is growing fast lile an auto even though its a photo plant

13" wide and 2.5" tall, wants to grow

big factor is the training every time you introduce stress plants response is to add growth which is where keeping mothers gets tricky mine typically look like poorly treated house plants under fed root bound gnarly. This is on purpose since I don’t want them growing fast more like surviving treat them too well and you have monsters taking lots of space making them hard to keep for long treat them like described above and you can keep them far longer in less space and the cuttings off them will be hardier able to handle more abuse but also faster growing having come from a hardy mother :wink:

4 Likes

This could get interesting . Definitely gonna watch.

1 Like

It actually turned into a small friendly competition between me and my buddy who cut it for me. We are seeing who ends up pulling the most come harvest next fall. We are both going to veg. Em out get a nice strong stalk and root system. It should be interesting bc im organic and he using chemy nutes. Thinking a 60gal grow bag or a hole around that size. Full of my supersoil and NOTG is going to give him a run for his money. He’s got more outdoor experience then me, but I’ve got more indoor then him. Thinking that that should even out some.

1 Like