Keep a minor herm?

Some background:

My Jack Herer is week 4 or 5 of flower. I recently did some rather light defoliating and removing of some lower larf branches… I also recently took on aphids aaand they started attacking the plants I defoliated, with many less present on the plants I hardly touched.

I wouldn’t ever have guessed minor defoliation would cause my plants to be more susceptible to aphids, based on what I’ve researched.

Finally, I noticed two tiny male pollen sacs at the base of my Jack, I think the first one was open, but it was incredibly small, and the second one was closed, and I just plucked them off.

I would love to keep my Jack because it looks so beautiful still and has a lot of flower sites on it. I didn’t see any other pollen sacs and I checked all the bud sites.

6 Likes

Keep it, just keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

Its also a good idea to spray them with water before removing to prevent the spread of pollen

2 Likes

Right on man, thanks for the advice

I’ll have to try it! thanks

Wow, gorgeous plant! Like stated already, just keep an eye on it, one or two sacks can happen.

2 Likes

That’s to scary for me.
Id rather lise one then risks pollinating my other plants and possibly my entire grow area but thats just me :man_shrugging:.

1 Like

Through beating the cold weather by armoring my greenhouse with compost, to getting ahead of the aphids, to now dealing with the fact that I had a single pollen sac open on me. I feel like I picked up so much stress from this project, on top of the fact that my landlord has stressed me out about this whole thing from the start. Just making comments the whole time… I need a mental health break and I think I’m going to take a weekend vacation from the girls once my ladybugs and lacewings arrive.

The pollen sac that opened was so small, also at the base of the plant. I feel like it’s no big deal, but I have 12 plants in the first few weeks of flower, and I’ve read online that I could have seeded all of them thoroughly. I have things going for me though. I caught it early, my plants are inside of an airtight greenhouse and I don’t have any fans running. I may end up with no seeds, but this is exactly why I’m so stressed. I don’t know what to think and I won’t know if they got seeded for another month… I’m looking forward to at least dry sifting decent keif and making hash :v:.

2 Likes

I also figured out that my heater is probably what hermied it. The jack sticks out towards the heater more than the other plants. I didn’t think it was enough light but I was wrong I think. We only had one pretty cold night last week.

2 Likes

Gonna be looking for this over the coming days.

1 Like

1 Like