KCDave 1st Grow

New to this. I am seeing brown tips and making sure no overreaction. They were just transplanted into soil 2 days ago. 5x5 tent, CLW Solar System1100 LED R55/W99/B99 was the recommended setting and it’s about 48 inches from tops.

Welcome all feedback.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

What did you transplant them from? Also wondering what kind of soil? They look a little leggy, you could probably lower light a smidge.

3 Likes

Welcome @kcdave from another Missouri guy.
You will find a lot of helpful people here.
Tell us as much as you can about your grow…

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?
System type? If soil what type/brand

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor
Light system, size?
Tent Size

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you smile

4 Likes

Root Riot cube to soil of 80% FF Happy Frog 15% Coco Loco 5% perlite
When you say lower the light, are you referring to intensity or distance? Light time is 18 on 6 off.

1 Like

I meant distance. But you could raise intensity a little instead if you want. The nutrients in soil could be burning tips a little. I’m gonna wait to see support ticket.

1 Like

[quote=“Spiney_norman, post:3, topic:35916”]
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?
System type? If soil what type/brand
Root Riot cube to soil of 80% FF Happy Frog 15% Coco Loco 5% perlite

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? Unknown

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS None added to soil yet

Indoor or Outdoor Indoor
Light system, size? LED CLW Solar System 1100
Tent Size 5x5

Temps; Day, Night 71 Day / 68 Night

Humidity; Day, Night 60%

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size Yes

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, None

Co2; Yes, No None

3 Likes

This could or will be a problem. Get yourself a decent digital ph meter.

Your temps and humidity could be a little higher right now too. You can put domes over seedlings right now if you need to.

1 Like

could be transplant shock.

Already discovered if the exhaust is recirculated within the room it would go to about 80. Did I transplant to dirt too soon? I would see a lot of conflicting steps, leave in root riot for a few weeks, and the next would say get them into the dirt as soon as they sprout.

Growers Warehouse Soil mix CLW Solar System 1100 5x5 tent if you want to see all tent specifics. I got their package deal.

I bought a PH meter, darn thing never changes from 7.0. I’m going to take it back today and get new. I’l make them test in the garden center this time before I leave.

I’ll lower the light to about 36 inches above and recirculate the air to warm it up. Then I guess give a couple more days and see.

WORST case, if I kill these I want to make sure and not repeat same mistakes the next.

Btw - Bought the KO mix Gorilla, Blue Dream, MK and they gave me 1/2 off a Gold Leaf. I planted 1 of each. The BD is the runt.

3 Likes

As long as there was roots in the cube you should be good there.

1 Like

I agree these girls are stretching a little bit. If you are worried about the light being too intense then you might want to consider creating a dome for your girls. It will increase humidity, keep warmer temps and will keep light stress to a minimum. Very simple and cheap way it to use pop bottles that have been cut.

Give the bottles a spray 2-3 times a day and you will create a much more suitable environment for seedlings.

1 Like

Thanks, let me get all this going right away and see what happens.

@Spiney_norman - I wouldn’t mind a real voice call sometime. I couldn’t figure out how to private message but if you would be interested, I would welcome a call from someone who’s done this all before.

Posting personal info is not allowed here,
Im an intermediate grower at best. I know there are others here with far more experience.
Perhaps they will change policy one day.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, I think that definitely helped. I have them back under a dome, misting the plants and dome a few times daily. New shoots are coming out and looking good. I’ll post more pics in a day or 2 once these are more visible. No more browning on the tips. I saw the comment about “leggy” and was thinking the same. How do you prevent that?

Welcome to the forum @kcdave seems we might be neighbors (Missouri guy as well) I’m always careful not to mist plant but mist soil around the plant and the dome itself. I put a cup over seedling making a dry ring around plant as this causes the plants roots to search for water in turn making them bigger.
But not knowing much about that soil is could be a bit of nute burn as well. Good luck :four_leaf_clover: happy growing glad to have you here.

2 Likes

My gorilla glue continues to race to the stars. Maybe just noob jitters but it looks like it will collapse.

MK on the left, gold leaf right both I think look much better. The blue dream back right for now just seems to lag behind.

2 Likes

Put a popsicle stick to support the leggy one and when you transplant plant the stem a lil deeper so it’s supported.

You see what they are in and they have been there 4 days. How do you know when to transplant? I have 5 and 8 gallon plant bags (8 each that came with the tent). What’s everyone’s preference? I’ll use the added soil if it makes sense but if 5 is plenty, no need to waste it either.

Dave, I’m on my first grow too. I don’t have any real advice other than to not overthink it and stick to basics. I started my two plants in little peat pots like those in a kitchen window in potting soil. Watered when they looked dry. Transplanted to kitty litter buckets when they were around 3" high into Happy Frog Potting soil. The water came out of my sink, which is well water, no clue what the ph is. They were outside for most of July and August. At the end of August I got my shed wired and have 1 1000 W LED light from Amazon for 70 bucks. I had a bare root on each of the two plants when I put them in the buckets and thought for sure I killed them. On the advice of @fano_man I bought some nutes off Amazon and they’re getting it now. I figure I’m still 3 or 4 weeks from the end but it’s been a good first experience. Don’t over water or under water. Use your intuition. That’s all I got, good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. The “leggy” one I added a little more dirt to the top and that stabilized it fully. I’ve quit misting the plants, only the dirt as much as possible. Have them in a grow dome and the added humidity from this has them all responding well, even my runt.

How do you decide when to transplant?
I have 5 & 8 gallon bags. Which would be best used?
I have a cool mist humidifier. Once the plants come out of the dome, would this work? Humidity in the tent is running around 48% without it.

Thanks again to all the grow champions providing the awesome suggestions!!!

1 Like