Kaptain3d's Sunken Treasures 🏴‍☠

The :snowman_with_snow: has been visiting. :yum:

Looks like you like the Mars-Hydro TSL-2000. It has a removable driver, correct? I’m not quite yet in the market, but that one is on my radar, despite me really liking the specs and positive reviews of the Green Beams. Few grow lights have reflectors, but they are beneficial to me and my plants, since I don’t tent. Last year, I bought my current light in large part because it had a reflector, plus it had higher-quality components than its competitors, despite being a tad less expensive.

2 Likes

If your ceiling and walls are white, I’m not sure you gain as much. That said, I know I lose a lot of my light to my hardwood floor, which is light tan. So if you’re surrounded by anything but white, it’s probably helpful.

4 Likes

White walls, ceilings, and carpet here … I DIDN’T PUT IN THE WHITE CARPET! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I know what you’re saying, but what I’m thinking is how reflectors concentrate (side) light downwards, as opposed to most lights (in tents) that shine/bounce light off the inside of tent walls. Thoughts?

My grow space is in the corner of an open room, albiet white. :dotted_line_face: That being said, I’m open to a non-reflector type of light, of course, per my interest in Green Beams.

2 Likes

The girls look happy under their new light! Killin it as always Kap!

5 Likes

I think @dbrn32 might be the right person to shed some light (Ba dum tssss) on this question!

I suspect most LED manufacturers don’t use reflectors and it’s intentional - I look at HLG and their utter lack of reflectors. Same for ChilLED Tech. They must know something we don’t, especially since HLG does do commercial lighting work - those are often quite open areas where one would think from a logical perspective that reflective hoods should help.

Making me regret doing this photo grow. I have an autoflower grow scheduled once these breeding babes are done though. :heart_eyes::star_struck: gonna get some @repins12 going alongside Mephistos and a couple of my own, start the backcross and new strain crafting game all over.

9 Likes

So far I’ve grown 3 different strains of @repins12 Auto cross and they were all amazing. Huge dense colas and very sticky. Gary’s generous gift allowed me to get more comfortable growing autos now… :wink: :wink:

10 Likes

I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that they know that 99.9999999999% :smile: of their customers use tents.

Good point. I don’t know how much non-used/wasted areas/non-plant areas are in most commercial grow facilities, or if they don’t concern themselves with lost light along the edges. I hope I’m making sense. :grin:

2 Likes

Reflector has more to do with light source than being in tent or not. The typical led has a 120⁰ beam angle, so there is no light going to the side or up that needs to be reflected, thus no reflector. Hid lights (bulbs) emit light in 360⁰ pattern, there is really no “beam”, therefore requires the reflector otherwise 50-60% of the light would be going opposite of canopy. So it’s reflected to at least get some of the light back towards canopy.

You will most likely have some light bouncing off of walls either way, which is why having at least a semi-reflective surface around canopy is recommended. How much depends on size of fixture or reflector in comparison to size of canopy and distance from light to canopy.

In short, there may be reasons why one light may be better than another, but simply because one has a reflector probably isn’t one of them.

12 Likes

:100:

Just one of the nice-to-have factors that I consider.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

6 Likes

Early morning pictures of the Mendo Breath cross. Without and with flash… Lots of buds and frostiness happening .

18 Likes

All those cute little frosty buttons looking innocent and all :rofl:

8 Likes

Looking amazing sir. Loving the indoor girls and outdoor monster

5 Likes

@repins12 Viuda Blanca Border Jumpers are working their magic in the tent. Very smelly and sticky…

The family sunbathing under the Mars-Hydro TSL-2000:

24 Likes

My outdoor girls are surviving all the rainstorms we keep having… :crazy_face:

Mendo Breath cross:

Wedding Drake coco:

Wedding Drake Pro-Mix:

And a couple of baby buds…

Have a great one friends :grinning:

21 Likes

She’s looking really really god? Super green healthy lady!! I’d smoke her!!

8 Likes

5 Likes

Looking awesome Kap! The indoor girls seem to be liking that new Mars light!

3 Likes

Beautiful…the border jumper looks amazing !!

3 Likes

@MeEasy is it your cannaday I see a slice of :cake:
Another year with the family of fun growers.
Congratulations
Cheers

8 Likes

Happy canna day @MeEasy

2 Likes