Just water and FFOF, not enough?

Howdy all. This plant is one of two that I discovered in late november when I was doing clean up. I planted several in late spring, in miracle grow (before I new better), but this container didn’t sprout. Or so I thought. I kept them going in a small box until I transplanted it to a 5 gallon cloth with FFOF on Jan.15. After it got over the transplant shock, she started filling out. I upsized the space slightly to 30"x24"x48". I’m in the process of building a 4x4x7 room, but it’s slow going. Constant down time at work has kept the extra cash slim. I’m running a pair of used Marshydro TS-600s (20/4) I was gifted by a friend. Want a get a 600 Rspec eventually. Just ordered some Jack’s tap, as I use either tap or rain water. I do check my water ph when watering and adjust accordingly. The temps stay between the low 70s and high 80s. Humidity is low, usually around 20s and 30s . Don’t have the extra circuit yet to run fans or humidifier, but working on that also. The seeds are either DurbinPoison, Jack Herrer, or Afghan Hawian. All autos. I know it’s asking alot of the grow enviroment.

2 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to download the picture. sorry, I’m a dinosaur with this stuff.

1 Like

9 Likes

Good job figuring out how to load your photo.

2 Likes

Now I need to figure out how to do it all with one entry rather than three

2 Likes

it is not clear to me if you have a question that needs to be answered.

I no longer use FFOF but did for my first 8 or 9 grows. I was growing photo period plants only at that time and would start adding FF nutrients when I transplanted to the final home. They were in fresh soil at that point but I did not want them to become nutrient deficient.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the plant in the photograph looks great.

3 Likes

I thought it might be far enough along at transplant that the soil nutes would carry it through till the end. Have been getting brown leaf tips on some. Also I just copy/paste the photos. Is that the right way? This photo is right before transplant.

2 Likes

There are several ways to add photos and the one you describe is certainly one of them. You can also drag and drop or use the little icon to bring up the file selection screen.

As for adding nutrients, I generally follow the manufacturer’s feeding charts. Many folks have their own feeding schedule that works for them.

1 Like

OF can usually feed for 4-6 weeks before you need nutes. Just pay attention to your ppm in your run off or watch for the plant to look hungry.

1 Like

This is the latest from a different side. The brown tipped leafs are what I’m concerned about. First grow, so way new too this. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

4 Likes

That likely means that it’s getting the nutes that they need, maybe a little too much. But that’s ok!

Have you had any recent pH swings?

2 Likes

I’ve yet to water till runoff, but the water ph going in I’ve kept close to 6.5. I’m ordering a tds pen today and next water I’ll go to runoff and check it.

2 Likes

It is important to water to runoff when using ff nutrients. It is important to know what your Ph in and ph out is. Happy Growing :blush::v:

4 Likes

Thanks for all the help. I agree. Still plenty to learn. Only using their soil, will be using Jack’s when it arrives. Next grow I’m going to switch to Roots. I obviously want top results for time and money invested, like anyone else. But like most I have plenty on my plate already, so am going to try and simplify what I can. Still struggle with getting my head wrapped around all the information available here. Always subscribed to the “work smarter not harder” philosophy, but you generally have to gain knowledge to get to that point. Thanks again for all the help @merlin44, @yourviolentpast, and @Flitme

6 Likes

I hear ya. It’s a little overwhelming. But you will get it and we will help :blush::v:

1 Like

Yesterday I finally watered till runoff. I was usually giving less than a half gallon, yesterday I gave a full gallon, slowly, with around maybe 16oz. of runoff. The ph in and out was 6.5, +or- .02. So now I’m wondering if maybe I wasn’t watering enough to start with. I’m interested to see if I notice any change when I check after nights on. Could that possibly be the reason the upper leaves were getting brown because not enough water lower in the pot? I was hoping at my age I was done “going to school”, but at least this classroom isn’t boring. And the end results have some immediate benefits. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

You will get there!!

The goal of my first grow (4 plants) was to just not kill them all…and maybe get 1 oz in total. I set the bar really low. :laughing:

I learned a lot from that better-than–expected 1st grow and have just learned and improved each and every time since. It’s really hard learning how to grow an actual weed. We all want to put it in a window and just water it like a house plant. That doesn’t work.

4th grow now and I think I am there… and you will get there too!

4 Likes