Just starting out help me

I am an out door grower for years , But I’m going to try indoors this winter. My question is -is
2 parts potting soil 1 part cow manuer or mushroom compost and1 part perlite a good base for my plants ? My area is small so i’m useing 3 gallon pots

1 Like

I’m no soil expert, but I’m thinking that 25% manure/compost might be a bit much and lead to plant burn. Most potting soils already have the nutes needed for the first month of the plant’s life. Be careful, my friend.

I’ll let others correct me if necessary.

2 Likes

@merlin44 is a natural soil guy.

1 Like

I am a soil grower but just use Fox Farm Ocean Forest with 20% each of worm castings and perlite added.

I don’t have any experience building my own soil.

4 Likes

I would have to agree with @MidwestGuy, cow manure can be a tricky thing, based on length of composition, type of feed and many other factors. I like you was an outdoor grower but, I was a guerilla grower. I won’t even use cow or horse manure in my vegetable garden unless it has set for at least 2 years or longer, just my standard, from experience, nothing scientific. Like I said, just my opinion. I have had some sh** that sat for a little over a year, destroy my plants. Won’t happen again. I learned real quick how not to do that again. Again, just my thoughts :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Cow manure is really hot, but rabbit manure is a cold alternative if you can acquire some from a pet owner. I (as a non-expert) wouldn’t worry about applying too much compost, but you can always go lighter with the mix and then top dress if you’re vegging the plant for months. Point is, I’d avoid mixing in any amount of cow manure unless you’re going to let the mix cook for months before using it.

SubCool talked about layering his super soil with the hottest layers on the outside. It’s worth reading hit recipes and listening to his segments on the Free Weed podcast.

Hello There

Cow crap fresh out of my pasture ,Composted chicken crap and Fresh Rabbit poops is 80%of my soil. It gives good results . Straight rabbit manure worked wonders

this plant gave us the most out of a 30 gallon pot we ever had 29 ounces

6 Likes

Do you use FFOF from start to finish? So it’s 20%/20%/60% mixture? I was looking at FF Happy Frog to start seedlings, but not sure. I’m just getting ready to order everything. Little nervous as I’ve never grown, indoor or out!

2 Likes

That is correct.

What is the best type premixed soil at the nursery rather than building my own ?

Hi Shebray. Welcome!

There are many branded soil formulations that cater to cannabis. Many are “water only” for the duration of a grow.

Can you browse the local nursery (not Home Depot or Walmart) and tell us what they carry? A list of what’s available would be helpful instead of us throwing out products you can’t get.

I’m a firm believer in regenerative soil, which means you’re cycling soil through processes that draw and replenish nutrients, instead of “one and done.” I urge you to look into what that involves, or at least consider how you’re going to utilize the “depleted” soil after each grow.

Whatever you do, don’t get Miracle Grow. It leads to all kinds of problems.

2 Likes

How do Miracle Grow formulations create problems, and what specific problems are you thinking of?

Nute burn from time-released nutes (e.g. high nitrogen during flowering,) roasted seedlings from being too hot, and it’s thick and heavy and retains moisture where cannabis needs wet / dry cycles.

I’m sure there is more, but those alone are enough when there are better choices out there.

2 Likes

I need im quite for growing cannibis for personal use what potting is good i heard coca coir+perlite is better and anti bacterial good choice

If you want to learn about soilless coco coir, check out coco for cannabis dot com. All the info you need is there.

Bagged soil is a different route, and it depends on what you can buy. What do they have at your local stores?

1 Like

Monsanto also formulated miracle gro to have a non optimal pH to thwart illegal Cannabis growing.

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t Miracle Grow anything. I have 2 varieties of peppers and several herbs in my indoor garden as well. I’m planning on expanding that. I have 2 tents and don’t need a lot of weed. I expect by this coming Fall I’ll have more weed than I really want.

I was looking for the article I read about Monsanto working with dea on the miracle gro thing and guess who Monsanto purchased…general hydroponics. Now I’ve gotta find another nute. I will not use Monsanto anything.

2 Likes

Monsanto also formulated Agent Orange and then turned it into Round Up

4 Likes