Just sprouted and wilting

This is our first attempt at growing. We put (2) feminized autoflower seeds in a glass of water and let soak for ~36 hours as the root was then visible. Placed seeds into Root Riot plugs and placed under a dome. On 4/12, the seeds sprouted in under two days.

Last night, 4/13, I put one of them into the DWC system as it had a root coming out of the bottom of the plug. This morning, 4/14, the one left in the propagator was wilted (Root riot plug was dry). I watered the RR plug. It is currently in a tent, 78° F and 50% RH. Below are pics of the one already in the DWC and the wilted one. Suggestions?

1 Like

Hand water (several times a day) the one in the DWC until the roots hit the water & good luck on the other. Oh yeah welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Does that look like it is searching for light? Maybe too much water. Did you done it?

That seedlings probably a goner I’d drop another seed asap

Never know sometimes they perk up

Id see about getting the wolted one under a light and have a fan blow in the plug to dry it oit a bit see if she stands again. When in dwc always have the water touching whatever roots are growing thru the rr cube. Have an air bubbler in the bucket for oxygen to the water. Good luck and welcome.

1 Like

A dome over the sprouts would be wise. Top feeding in DWC until roots reach liquid. Liquid level should be 1 1/2 to 2" below net pot and lots of air into the liquid.

If you are doing bucket hydro I’d strongly suggest you revisit your setup: buckets are too small to do a great job of growing without LOTS of attention by you. Adding a reservoir makes all of the difference. Even using totes to increase your plant’s reservoir size is worthwhile.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I should have provided more info from the start–I’m using 8-gallon buckets that recirculate with a reservoir outside the tent. Each bucket has its own air stone. The water level right now is about an inch into the net pot. So far, the two plants are thriving.

1 Like

Thanks Mark0427, I actually gave the wilted one a healthy dose of water and she perked up. I also increased the humidity in the tent from 50 to 60%. A light and fan were already in play.

1 Like

Thanks fano_man, she perked up. May have been in shock from the humidity loss after removing the dome cold turkey.

1 Like

Better to top feed to force roots down toward the liquid. The air percolating up will bathe the base of the net pot with oxygenated water: this is preferable to immersing net pot. It really does need to be 1 1/2 to 2" below.

This makes it R DWC or Recirculating. I’m going to put up a Support Ticket and would ask that you take a few minutes and answer the questions so they’re all in one place.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)
-Age of plant
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
-Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, fabric pots
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
-Method used to measure PH and TDS
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
-Light system LED, MH/HPS/CMH/Fluorescents, or other
-Actual wattage draw of lights
-Current Light Schedule
-Temps; Day, Night
-Humidity; Day, Night
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
-Co2; Yes, No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
-Temperature of reservoir
-TDS of nutrient solution
-Amount of air to solution

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

-Autoflowering, Northern Lights
-sprouted on 4/12
-Method: Hydroponics
-Vessels: 8-gallon Buckets w/ 8" net pots
-PH, 6.8
-EC 0.6
-Method used to measure PH (pen) and TDS (Trunchion)
-Indoor 4x4 Gorilla
-Light system LED, HLG 600Rspec
-Actual wattage draw of lights (dimmed at 25%)
-Current Light Schedule–18/6
-Temps; Day, Night ~76°/~73°
-Humidity; Day, Night: 45%, 50%
-Ventilation system; Yes, 6"
-Humidifier
-Co2; No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-RDWC
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)–water level is currently above the bottom of the net pot
-Temperature of reservoir-- 70°F
-TDS of nutrient solution-- EC=0.6 (tap water is 0.2)
-Amount of air to solution–I don’t know how to measure this. One air stone in each bucket.

How large is the pump in GPH?

This should be no higher than 5.8

What nutrient line?

That’s about perfect: great light

I’d just run 24/0 for the first two or three weeks.

Are you running something like Hydroguard? 70F is about as warm as you should go.

Drop that down to 2" below

That’s all I see at this point. You’ve got a good start on your grow.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback. PH is actually 5.8 (6.8 was a typo). Nutrients are from GH, using Micro, Gro, and Bloom only at this stage—following the 6-part “light” schedule. Not using Hydroguard or anything similar—I assume you’re concerned about algae or something? Air pump is Activeaqua AAPA15L, feeding 4 8 gallon buckets.

1 Like

If your not using any CalMag, you will need it with GH products.
I would also encourage you to get some hydroguard as well.
You also may want to check into a chiller.
:v::+1:t2::sunglasses:

Calmag will go into the mix next week, and I have Hydroguard on the way. I’ve been experimenting with frozen water bottles…trying to avoid the cost of a chiller. We’ll see…

1 Like