Just inherited a rosin press

So, my grow mentor, who

taught me so much in the realm of indoor growing, just passed away:-(.
He knew he didn’t have a huge amount of time left, so he started to give things away to friends and family. He left me with an awesome rosin press and all of the stuff he had related to the process. Unfortunately, we only had time for a brief conversation about it b4 his passing.
He pretty much pressed just kief, so I have a supply of 160 micron, 37 micron, and 25 micron bags+ some premium rosin parchment paper. Can someone explain the reason you would use 1 over the other?
He told me he pressed at 90C. He would fold a piece of p paper around the bag full of kief with the slick side in, heat up the plates, then press. The hydraulic cylinder is rated at 20 tons. He has made it air assisted to speed up the process:-). He put this together himself and it is extremely heavy. I would love to get a more detailed explanation on the process. I’ve tried BHO extraction (open) and had some success, but this is an all new method to me. Thanks in advance!

8 Likes

Sorry for your loss!! :pray: :pray: Some great people will be along shortly to advise you on said process.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Holy smokes that is a press! You could crank out metal stampings with that thing.

4 Likes

Well if anything at all that is guaranteed about life is that one day we have to give that energy back.
I just lost my father awhile back and he died in peace knowing I got away from heroin and felt good about passing on some of the things I got to me knowing they will be put to good use. I’m sure that’s the same your mentor/friend felt when passing his equipment to you. One heck of a press!
YouTube is a great place to learn how these things work. I think it’s nugsmasher or something like that is one of the big brands doing presses. They have stuff on YouTube. Would Google and do so e reading about it to. :+1:. Enjoy your nice piece of equipment.

4 Likes

Let’s ask @SilvaBack203 @Nicky - some other folks also press but I know Silva has lots of experience in that realm.

6 Likes

My heart goes out to you and his family and friends. Sounds like an endearing individual who will be missed. Idk the answers your looking for but would love to tag along on this quest for knowledge.

7 Likes

Sorry 4 your loss…

I can definitely help you out. He left you behind with great naterial and brand i live the press club stuff.

If you are pressing kief you want lower temps like he yold you 90c. I start any where from 130f to 160f depending on material.

The micron bags is to help you have a clean product so kief or flower dont get in your rosin.

Pressing kief you always want to double bag. I personally put the kief in the smallest size available like 25 or 30 than inside my 120 bags… it helps with blow outs and stuff.

For flower i have a video that explains better any question u can ask…

8 Likes

I guess we are in the back row again!! :popcorn: @Fieldofdreams

7 Likes

We should just carpool!!

6 Likes

Sorry for your loss buddy sounds like he was a top-notch guy :v:

2 Likes

Thanks again everyone, I spent a few hours yesterday researching and learned a great deal.
My only question is just how much pressure to use. I mean this is rated at 20 TONS!
And BTW, my friend Joe was a super quality friend. We only met 2 years ago, but, we had one of those “instant” connections. He kindly took me under his wing and taught me how to grow indoors. We took motorcycle rides together, he on his Goldwing, me on my ZRX or VFR. He rode his 'wing like a sportbike too. As he got sick I did as much as I could for him, and he made me promise to “school” his wife Mary to continue his grow, which I will gladly do. I’m really going to miss him, but, feel he is now pain fee, and at peace.

8 Likes

Knowing he had a friend like you to pass on and teach his wife. Take pride in that!!!

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss, your friend definitely left you set up like a pro. You seem to have everything needed.

1 Like

Hey brother, have a question. Last night i sqeezed a hash puck I made from pure keif. Got an ok return and was left with a “hash wafer”.
Smoked some of the wafer and it was as potent as ever, normal? Also sqeezed 7 grams of gold leaf, out of a glass jar with an 8 gram 2 way 62% humidity pack. Got very little dab, but, the “wafer” like weed seems better than before? Is this typical? Yesterday was my 1st trial:-).

2 Likes

@Deez presses quite a bit of rosin too, he is pretty knowledgeable

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss, but at least you have a good press (with a hand pump).
I have used a 20 ton press (with 3"x3" plates) for the past 8 years. With 3"x3" plates, there is more pressure per square inch than the larger plates that you have.
I press mostly kief at 95C (203F) with 37 micron bags. When pressing, make sure the plates are at the right temperature. Next I put the kief in a 37 micron bag, fold it over, then put it between a folded sheet of parchment paper. Then I place it between the plates, close the plates down onto the bag gently. Then I let it warm up for 30 sec with a gentle low pressure, then increase the pressure to about 5 tons. The low pressure warm up and a slow ramp up of pressure will prevent the bags from popping. The hand pump will allow you complete control of the pressure.
The quality of the rosin is directly related to the kief you are using. Really nice kief give me a 66% return, poor quality rosin may give only a 10% return: rosin weight divided by kief weight.
For buds I sometimes use a higher temperature (100C) and no warm up period. Bags never pop when pressing buds. 7 grams of bud gives me between 0.5 to 1.5 grams of rosin, depending upon the bud quality.
Pressing temperature will effect the yield and rosin quality. Trichomes melt at about 82C, so you need at least 85C when pressing. Higher temps will create a crisp rosin with less flavor, whereas low temperatures less softer rosin with more terpenes and more flavor. Flavor is in the terpenes. Example: one kief batch gave me a 33% return at 85C and a 50% return at 95C.
The kief and buds MUST be completely dry. If there is moisture in the bud, the rosin will be liquid like honey and messy to smoke, unless you let it sit for a few days and the moist rosin will turn into a wax that is easier to handle.
For kief, I use 25 micron to 90 micron bags. 90 micron bags are stronger than 25 micron bags. For buds, I use 90 to 160 micron bags.
Terminal buds will give you the smoothest and best tasting rosin, and the smaller buds will give you a darker rosin with not as much flavor and about the same strength. Experience will be your best teacher when learning how to use your press and create the best rosin. One thing I tend to do is offer to press rosin from someone’s kief and then we split the rosin. That way I get experience and lots of rosin to smoke. I use a dag rig with a quartz bowl for rosin.
For me, rosing the the best way to get high. I had throat cancer 7 years ago, so smoking a joint is very hard on my throat, whereas one large 50mg rosin toke will get me stoned.