Just hello! (And current plants)

Hi everyone! Just been a while and thought I’d check in. Hope all are doing well and taking good care in a nutso time.
I’m currently in process with two autos and two fems, which seem to be going well. Each is in a 15 gallon container this year, with a mix of old soil and fish compost (50/50). Very happy plants overall. The autos are close to harvest (Amnesia Haze, Blueberry), maybe 2-3 weeks to go. The past Blueberry grow turned out to be a favorite, very mellow but not super heavy. The fems are Blackberry Kush and Skunk #1 and have months to go of course, since we just passed solstice not too long ago. They have my usual large-ish brown spots on lower leaves, and I think I may have finally diagnosed that as fungus gnats–will put up yellow sticky cards and see. But this year I’ve used mulch in the top of the containers, and the soil never really dries out on top so I’m betting that’s it. If so, that’s a problem I’ve chased for years now and would be glad to know!

Anyway, best to you all and talk soon!
bmc

6 Likes

@Bmacpiper
Welcome back to forum, where everything nice happens, and everything nasty is explained, like fungus gnats… Seems this year most people is plauged with them, like me too. I used Hydrogen Peroxide water mix to kill wet top soil fungus…(used to much apparently, cause it killed my youngest plant, like nute burn… Shriveled up like skin in water to long, and croaked.) Got Neem Oil ordered, probably get yellow traps, got coillidle silver, got friend has some DE willing to share. So ima get rid of these gnats for sure. Was only watering seedlings/new veggies, 1 time a week with 1 cup water. Top soil would not dry, yes have fan, maybe humidity is to high for grow bags to fully dry. Which caused top soil fungus/mold, which in turn attracted fungus gnats. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: and now I got spiders too. I see coming next, spider mites… DSOB!! I CAN’T WIN FOR LOOSING. Now I’m a plant killer. In all my years, this is first plant that I have ever killed. :skull_and_crossbones:
Yes, I’m old school. I’m not using all these super nute grow products… nor grow tents, ac, and high dollar grow lights, for 1: I can’t afford it. So needless to say, I have small plants. Gonna suck come harvest time. Oh the only nutes I’m using is “miracle gro.” :crossed_fingers: well sorry to give you such a long hello and story. But hope everything goes well with you and your grow. Have heavy Harvest.

If you want to come see my grow, Just click on the blue words below,
“1New Patchwork at Night”

1 Like

Thanks Draco1 and sorry for the troubles. I’ve had spider mites a few times, and they do suck badly. This year I’ve kept the greenhouse doors open wide, and so far no sign of them (knock, knock). Also using a fan to keep air moving, which helps with the gnats too I’m told. I like your style; I also try to keep it pretty simple and even a meager harvest is more than enough for my needs. Hope things start to look up and take good care!
bmc

1 Like

BTi , mosquito bits will kill fungus nats. i used natrol too and yellow sticky cards. they wont hurt your plants.

1 Like

@pptrsha1
“BTi” is to strong for young veggie plants, it will burn new root hairs. Possibly doing unrepairable damage to the root itself. It attacks the root hairs because that’s where the larva has attached itself to. Yes it will kill the larva, but it will also burn the root hairs, stunting the plant or worse.
I for one, will not use it.:mask::face_with_monocle:

1 Like

i didnt know that. i used it on mine. did it burn your plants? learned something new today. thanks

1 Like

@pptrsha1
No I have never used BTi.
Ok, I read up on it some more, and I have come to the conclusion that I was misinformed about BTi on some of the wall forum… Not our forum but some other. I’m sorry for any inconvienance this may have caused anyone.
Next time I will thoroughly do my homework b4 opening my big mouth against something.

1 Like

I would really like to see the blackberry kush, That strain is beast, always super potent, but small harvests

i have said it a few times take advice, thank them for it, and then do what works for you! sometimes i think people will mislead you because they think its funny or whatever.i am just one of those weirdos that research the crap out of any problem before i do anything. heck i had spider mites and fungus gnats last time. so i had to read every journal on it and watch every video and then i nuked my plants with everything i could throw at them i almost have the plant deficiency chart memorized lol,. i got laughed at for giving my plants a shower but i am good with it