Just about ready for my first grow!

This can be a hinderance during flower phase. The ladies kick out alot of moisture during this time. That moisture will get sucked back into the tent instead of lowering your RH you will be bringing it back into the tent. I use a portable AC unit window exhaust kit to shoot that air outside

There are other ways too, just outside the room that the tent is in. Heat gets pulled out too which will make your a. Unit run less, saving your dollars.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the help! I’ll looking into a TDS pen, and was actually thinking it would make sense to figure out a way to elevate the pots a bit. I actually do have some clothe pots, but they are a good bit smaller, so for this run I’m just going to go with these and hope for the best. I might drill some extra holes in them. Will look into the ventilation a bit deeper as well!

Not quite. 1) detach filter from fan until flowering begins. No smells to speak of until then.
2) set vent fan to desired temperature (70-76) and desired RH (60-65% veg and germ) until flowering begins (45-55% rh) this will pull air through the vents at the bottom into the tent decreasing the air temp around the plants and reduce the overall heat of the light, pukling the air through the fan out the window.

Since smells not a huge deal, leave a vent open during flower, if you close them, the only way for the fan to pull air in is through the fabric of the tent. This will make the fan work very hard, shortening the life of your inline fan.

2 Likes

Try and mimic this with you plastic pots.

Dont forget the bottom of the pot too needs holes. A 1/2 inch of perlite at the bottom of the pot wont hurt either.

3 Likes

Vermiculite is about water retention more then soil aeration. Verm will hold dble its weight in liquid while perlite will allow water to pass around it.
When I mix soil I do 3 scoops soil one scoop perlite. FFOF has only so so drainage, FFSF is even worse.

Let the games begin…

I ended up mixing a bit of perlite into all my FFOF, I planned on 12Q soil and 4Q perlite, but it seemed like way too much so I believe it’s something like 12Q FFOF and maybe 2.5Q of perlite mixed in. The bottom of each pot has a layer of only perlite. I also drilled a ton of holes in each pot.

I have four saucers coming tomorrow which I’ll put underneath the white screen the create space between the bottom of the pot and the saucers that will sit underneath them.

Each of the seeds sprouted at least a little bit, one Sour D seed was only showing a bit of white but it wasn’t a tail yet so we’ll see what happens. Planted each about 1/2in deep, covered loosely with soil, and then sprinkled 8oz of water over each pot and then sprayed the dirt with a bunch of additional water after that

I added a duct on the bottoms right for air to flow in as the fan blows out… it’s snaked underneath a bed so I don’t believe light should travel through(although it doesn’t matter with autos I figured it’s good practice). At the moment I’m leaving a vent open on the other side as well without any ductwork with the thought that as long as I only open it during their 18hrs of light the added light shouldn’t matter.

QUESTION: My first thought when opening vents down below is that the plant nearest will get a consistent breeze while the others won’t get much of any. I’m not sure if this matters or if it’s just my OCD kicking in???

Right now the vs2000 is at 25% sitting about 28in above the dirt… and the fan is on low.

I’m guessing the only way to attempt to control the temp is with the fan speed and light power?

3 Likes

Small oscillating fan spreads the “fresh” air so all four will breath well.
You can rot, stink, or mold a room with indoor venting. I use dryer hose bringing exhaust to a dryer duct mounted on a window sill, and a similar setup for my intake. My 4x4 has five fans! One built into the light, one intake, two exhaust, one oscillating…

2 Likes

Uploading: 20220828_013804.jpg…

2 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks for there tips! I’m definitely going to buy 1 or 2 ovulating fans, and I guess I need to revamp my air flow system, as well. I’m assuming it would be ok having the intake come from the room the tent is in as long as I have the air exiting the tent and going outside?

4 Likes

I also realized I kinda screwed up by not saturating the soil before planting each seed. I’ve been trying to keep the solid somewhat moist with a spray bottle and a watering tool that spreads water pretty evenly to hopefully prevent drowning the seeds

Yes it’s ok. Its not ok for me cuz my tent is in a 100yr old attic complete with insulation dust asbestos drywall formaldehyde etc…
Not total revamp, its a good start. Don’t let this hold you back. Once it gets really going, if you cant stand the humid smell coming out then add a cheap dryer vent kit. If its still comfortable in the room, stay with it.

This seems really far away. Most lights sit at 12- 18 inches from canopy.

1 Like

yeah that is far.
I may be wrong but dont sprouts get most water through leaves, having almost no root? Maybe the first week you could turn off the fan and put clear cups or lids over the seedlings? would anybody else recommend this?

2 Likes

Sprouts drink from the air first couple weeks. Domes work great, myslef I set up a humidifier at 65% rh and only dome till sprout breaks ground.

1 Like

Hmm I’ve been going off of the recommendations on the instruction book for this led light? :thinking:

1 Like

Gotta follow the instructions of your light for sure.

I’ve been able to keep the humidity in there at least 60%, last night I turned the fan off overnight when the lights when off and humidity jumped really high around 90%. Hoping to see some green sprouting up sometime in the next few days

2 Likes

90% is way too high RH. Mushrooms grow in 99% rh to give you an idea of just how high that is. Does your fan have humidity sensor to trigger it on and off?

Unfortunately it doesn’t have any sensors in it. Just low, med, and high settings. As long as I run it on low the humidity seems to stay around 60. As long as I don’t turn it off I don’t think I’ll see humidity climb that high

1 Like