Jungle's 2nd Grow

Ok, I’ve got the overnight VPDs in range. Daytime VPD is in range (starting ~2:30pm yesterday).

Insights

• It’s difficult to look at singular VPD calculations. It swings a lot as T&H move around naturally. Compare the green squiggles to the black moving average. I’m not sure how you’d do this very well without a way to get average VPD values.
  • An increase in daytime humidity made my overworked dehumidifier happy, it ran about half as much. It also vented about half as much, which is really good for CO2 consumption.
  • The nighttime T&H similarly required less intervention (but lots of venting, which doesn’t bother me overnight as there isn’t any CO2 consumption).
  • Ambient basement conditions are RH=40, T=71F. I decreased the whole house humidity a few percent, this may have helped. It’s winter here, but not so cold out that <=40% RH is necessary, but the house is still comfortable.

What do you folks do? Anyone pay any attention to VPD? Anyone obsess about it like I have this week? Why do I feel like my charts are causing MEGO from you folks (“my eyes glazeth over”)?

1 Like

I’ve never looked at that. But it’s very interesting :thinking: And I’m watching. And learning. :sunglasses::v::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Did you ask for more details? Well, here you go.

Environmental Equipment

Settings

• CO2 - 1100ppm ± 50ppm
  • Temp - Daytime: 88F, Nighttime 50F, ± 6F
  • Humidity - Daytime 75%, Nighttime 50%, +0-5%

This yields VPD between 1.2 and 1.5. This is higher than what you’d run normally, but with the CO2, and higher temperatures, that’s my plan. Non-CO2-supplemented grows should be between about 1.0 and 1.2 for flower, I think.

I’ve been supplementing CO2 for about a month, and the 20# tank continues to spit out CO2. An exchange is ~$40? Hopefully I can get through the whole grow with just one exchange (it’s still running on the original 20# tank which was only partially full when I acquired it).

There’s no way I could do this in the setup I had previously (a panda film-draped off room). I don’t think my cheap tent is as well built as a nice Gorilla or something, but it seems to be airtight enough. I wish I had more height, though.

Have you thought about CO2? Why or why not?

2 Likes

I continue on with the craziness.

I’ve now constructed a script that’ll send me updated graphs of the last 24-48 hours (from 00:00:00 ‘yesterday’ 'till ‘now’).

I’ve got this pretty well dialed in to within [1.2, 1.5]. Hopefully that’s not bad VPD numbers to be using :slight_smile: . (See above, CO2).

Also, I found this article interesting… Tomatoes aren’t cannabis, but I think it still applies (C3?) : Coordination between vapor pressure deficit and CO2 on the regulation of photosynthesis and productivity in greenhouse tomato production | Scientific Reports

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the articles. I haven’t used CO2 in my grows. Well, except that time my gas water heater (in the grow room) exhaust came off :grimacing: all fixed now. I love my lights but its not enough light to make using co2 worth the effort. I had put some thought into it. Maybe in the future i would use it but for now, keeping my VPD in range would help the girls. Great subject . :v::green_heart:

4 Likes

Well, ok. But CO2 just changes my VPD target range. It’s the same hassle to adjust things to get VPD in-range. Without CO2, in flower, I think you want 0.96-1.2. Im just higher at 1.2-1.5.

1 Like

Sorry if i misworded, I was referring to the money and effort it would take for me in my personal situation to add CO2. Especially with my vpd frequently going to high. I agree CO2 is beneficial to the indoor plants when light levels are proper and vpd in range. The science article showed an increase in biomass with low vpd and high CO2. Something we all want. CO2 is just not for me right now in my basement grow.
I was trying to answer your question. Sorry if I offended in any way friend :v::green_heart:

No! I thought you misread my pointer as “you should use CO2” instead of what I meant “ never mind the CO2, getting VPD in a range is hard.”

1 Like

It is hard getting it in range. Then the seasons change on me and I’m back to dialing it in again :rofl:
I noticed the RH in my whole house was low, 28% making it even harder to get my tent rh up a little. Yesterday I cleaned the while house humidifier in the furnace and replaced the filter panel. Brought my house rh up to 43% Hopefully that will help the tent RH. Its always something messing with my vpd :grin::v::green_heart:

1 Like

I had to decrease my house humidity a bit (45 to 40%), but part of that is how cold it is outside.

On the other hand, I adjusted my nighttime humidity a tiny bit (50 to 51%) at the time shown with the arrow. It decreased my VPD from 1.5 to 1.35ish. Tiny adjustments make a difference.

1 Like

Looks like your doing great at getting the vpd dialed in.

1 Like

I couldn’t have done it without the continuous monitoring and graphing system…

Thanks.

1 Like

Help! I can’t move the light any higher!!
End of flower week 2

3 Likes

Update on CO2 consumption: my 20# tank lasted about 28 days, it was a $30 exchange.

Yea, I can spring for $60-90 worth of CO2 on a grow.

3 Likes

You could do some super cropping.

1 Like

Yea. That and defoliating inside the canopy.

Defoliated today, am adding liquid Kool Bloom tomorrow with a nutes change, so I’m going to wait until Monday or Tuesday for that.

GH says that dry Kool Bloom is the same as “Ripen” (but Ripen is a liquid). That’s good to know.

1 Like

Ready for big flowers!

2 Likes

Root pic

6 Likes

Experts: Please Help Me !

I’m in the middle of the 3rd week of 12/12. My nutes schedule (below) calls for 950-1200 PPM (500 scale), and it seems to drop quickly in the res.

In 24h, the PPM dropped from 1130 to 910. The previous day had a similar drop, and I supplemented with nutes for ~5gal, which brought it up to ~1110. This morning, it’s at 940 again.

Should I continue to add nutes? It’s been several days in a row that I’ve had to add a bunch of nutrients…

Help?!

(ps: I haven’t reached Late Bloom yet, but “Ripen” is Dry Kool Bloom)

3 Likes

Hey @PurpNGold74 help a buddy out, eh?

2 Likes