[JOURNEY] Top-fed DWC 32x32x63 tent 400W HPS/MH Grow Lights

That doesn’t really surprise me at all.

1 Like

Well… Both of the light bulbs I got from amazon were broken. I decided I had to get the bulbs in person. So last Friday I went to a store in Brooklyn with EVERYTHING you need to grow indoor. It’s not legal, so you’re not supposed to talk about growing marijuana plants. The guy only had the 400W High Pressure Sodium bulb and told me to come back to get the Metal Halide on Tuesday… I couldn’t even wait to start germinating my seeds… So I just went for it.

FINALLY DAY 1!! 11/10

I left my seeds in a wet paper napkin inside a box. That day was super cold and I turned off the heaters when I left home… When I came back from work the temperature was at 55 F :cold_sweat:

DAY 3 11/12

I’ve been trying my best to keep the temperature around 75 F and the paper napkins moisturized all the time but It’s not that easy. These last days have been pretty cold here and just can’t turn off my heater or the temperature goes down. But the heater keep drying everything (including the paper napkins)

GOOD NEWS: I can see little white roots coming out from BOTH of the seeds!!! Aren’t they beautiful?

I’m going to wait to little more to move them to the rapid rooters. I still have to wait 2 more days for my MH bulb… I hope they don’t sprout until later than that.

I’M SORRY FOR POSTING THAT EXTERNAL LINK! :cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

1 Like

@marcoharlem thanks for that!

Keep those seeds in a warm damp place and dark too! They don’t like the light on their roots! 78 degree sis perfect for them!

2 Likes

Also I would ad… you only want to top feed for a week or so until the roots make it to the water… after that turn off the top feed or you will kill your plants by damping off… trunk rot… :wink:
You also always want to keep a 1 inch air gap between the net cup and the water level… or you will kill your plants… :wink:
Good vibes and best wishes fellow cultivator… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Heat and height are going to be your nemesis. These are things to address now before it becomes a crisis.

@dbrn32 has a staggeringly comprehensive amount of knowledge concerning lighting so hit him up. @bob31knows his stuff so do listen to him. He’ll help you grow killer weed.

Bob, you might give him a tuneup on the first 2 weeks of do’s and don’t’s haha.

1 Like

@bob31 thanks for always helping me bro! I appreciate it!

@peachfuzz the top feed will be bringing the water to the very bottom of the net pot. Do you think It will kill it anyway? I’ll definitely leave an air gap. Thanks for you help bro!

@Myfriendis410 you have no idea how much I’ve been thinking about that… The height more than the heat since it’s going to be winter. I feel I’m prepared tho. I already measured the height available for my plants and the total is only 29" :disappointed_relieved:

What I’m going to a hard scroggling. (Topping my plant several time and LST)… I still feeling I have not enough but that’s everything I can do for now. If I see my plants still growing very tall I’m just going to order another tent

1 Like

Let me tag you into my journal. I’m running a Jack Herer and a Gold Leaf in a SCROG and the overall height OF THE PLANTS is 28". I anticipate between 1/2 and 3/4 pound per plant growing in coco. So LST or Supercropping with a SCROG may work for you.

If I had a tent with that footprint though, I’d probably only grow 1 plant. But many people grow smaller plants and more of them. I have a 6 plant per household limitation.

2 Likes

Sorry I’m late getting here, was on vacation. But I take you have the mh bulb? You should be gtg!

2 Likes

14/11

I got home from work with the 400W MH bulb (but before I spent around 2 and half hours in the subway looking for these bulbs) and Immediately changed the HPS… I also moved the hood closer to the plants (20.5 inch exactly)

When I checked the rapid rooter I realized It was completely soaked. So I moved the top fed tubing so It got an inclination to the bottom of the net pot so It doesn’t send the water directly to the rapid rooter. The little plants didn’t look very happy after doing this.

After that I checked the PH… It was 6.86 so I decided to fix the PH and made another mistake… I used too much PH down… It was around 5 after that… Then I put too much again… And I struggle until getting the 5.99.

You guys were right. I’ve been struggling with the high temperature. Apparently the big exhaust fan (6") is way potent compared to the small inline (4") so my grow tent start to suck itself… And that makes my hood get closer to the wall and then the exhaust duct gets completely blocked. You guys have no idea how much my roommate and I have been struggling with that and trying to keep the temperature under 80 F.

11/15

I made a few modifications to the distribution of the air flow inside the grow tent so the air, including putting the 6" fan at 70% with the Speed Adjuster. I might need a bigger inline fan.

I’ve been dealing with very low humidity, It’s always around 30%. I tried putting some wet towels around but bah… It helps (It gets around 40/45%) but I have to change them every couple hours. So I just ordered a humidifier online.

God damn, I thought I was ready but I was so wrong. I still spending money and effort to get this to work.Of course It’s my first time growing… These things aren’t going to happen again, I hope lol

This is how they look today:

You guys feel free to make any question or suggestion.

Thanks!

3 Likes

My suggestion is a clear dome is cheaper than a humidifier.

Ph in hydro, unless you have a significant reservoir, is going to be a problem. Temperature of your solution is especially important to prevent algae and mildew. It’s good that you are working on it.

2 Likes

The 80 degrees isn’t terrible other than it will drive your res temps up. If you can keep water temps cooler, that kind of atmosphere temp won’t really hurt your grow. At some point it may be easier to cool res over entire tent, if you get there.

Until then, you can continue to tune fan speeds and see if you can get any better. Another idea may be to try and get cooler air to your inlet. Be it from air conditioning, outside air, or just simply keeping temps in whatever room your tent is in a little cooler.

1 Like

DAY 9
Question: Should I count my days from the seeds sprouted, vg stage or since the first day I put the seeds on the wet napkin?

The temperature during the 18 hours of light is between 77-82
The temperature during 6 hours of night 68-74
Humidity is always between 25% and 45% (Still waiting for the humidifier , still changing wet towels every few hours:sweat:)
PH is always between 5.8 and 6.5

My two plants are growing… I realized they are having a green-yellowish color… What do you guys think?

Both roots are looking good

1 Like

Wherever you count the days isn’t as critical as long as you list as such. Ie, 10 days from seed and 10 days in veg means different things to most people. So as long as you’re clear to what you’re talking about, we can all understand. If you’re talking from the time it sprouted and say so, should be all good. From time you put in paper towel doesn’t mean as much. Some will show tap root in a matter of hours, others a couple days.

If you’re getting as high as 6.5 in a hydro grow, that will probably cause some problems down the line. Otherwise, looks good to me.

3 Likes

5.8 should be the peak ph for your hydro setup. 5.5 to 5.8. You are running straight ph’d water only now?

@Myfriendis410

No, I’m using this measures

This is actually the half the recommended dose

1 Like

Welcome sorry for the late response
Very adventurous I look forward to following

top lst repeat as needed
My buddy is growing a tall strain called blue wizard and he is growing in a tiny 24”x24”x48” space in his closet and he had been topping it and tying it down to keep it low and seems to be doing very well.

1 Like

I would wait on the nutes. They don’t need or want anything but water right now. See how green the first leaves are? That’s the storehouse for the seedling and when it’s depleted it’s time for nutes.

2 Likes

11/22

PH2 has a weird curvature in its leaves today. What do you guys think that means?

Everything else looks great. I’m going to wait few more days to start with the scroggring

The color looks consistent from the pic
It maybe a mutation of some sort? Unless you see spotty coloration that I am not seeing in the pic.
Do the leaves seem plush or seem drier than ph1?