Journal 1: First Grow Ever

May 6th
Fed again with 700 ppm and 6.0 pH. 2 cups of nutrient mix

May 7th
Topped and did some Pruning. I kind of marked the picture to show you where i pruned. I also pruned the very bottom set of branches.
turned on the second lights as temp kept fluctuating between 23-24C. more actual watts to help with yield wont hurt either. Both lights are sitting at 18’’ away. white lights have actual watts of 220 and the other blurple led is 100.
Planning on watering tonight with some calmag

2 Likes

Look to new growth for improvement. Which you are about to have a lot of lol.

2 Likes

do you think i should do more pruning? @Myfriendis410

1 Like

Not yet. Let it recover and we see good growth.

2 Likes

Been feeding with a 2:2:1 ratio with a ppm between 700-800 and pH-ed water at 6.0
Temp: 24-28C
Humidity: 45-65%
Lights get adjusted as the plant grows to 18" away
New growth after topping seems to have a llittle bit of yellow on the tips, maybe some edges. Not sure what it is caused by. It could be Nitrogen or it could Calcium from what ive been reading.

Please feel free to comment or leave any feedback on what to improve or change

May 8th

May 10th
Did some more Pruning for better airflow and distribution of energy throughout the plant.

May 11th

Your expertise might be needed here @Myfriendis410
Thanks!

1 Like

New growth is lime green and will darken. Your plant will need time to recover. as stated; leaves damaged will not recover.

1 Like

She seems to be thriving and doing much better

May 12th

May 13

May 14th
There you can see it’s starting to show that she’s a female

Still feeding her with a ratio of 2:2:1 on a f/f/f/w schedule
Humidity ranges between 50-70
Temperature ranges between 24-29C
water pH 6.0
PPM around 700

1 Like

May 15th
did some pruning to allow light for new growth. the leaves i pruned were too big and blocking light, and they were also nute burned.
I also noticed some yellowing on the tips of the leaves, including new growth so i started feeding her some calmag with my nutes
still following the late veg ratio 2:2:1.
feeding mix: 1 ml of calmag, 2 ml micro, 2 ml gro, 1 ml bloom
ppm 722
pH 6.0

May 16th

1 Like

That is normal.

Plant looks really nice. Good recovery!

1 Like

Thank you so much! i couldnt have done it without your guidance honestly. definitely a great learning process. @Myfriendis410

Is it normal for new growth or just in general to have yellow tips throughout all stages?

1 Like

Environmental factors play the biggest role; slight nutrient imbalance, a touch of heat, PH out of whack briefly etc can all contribute. Too high nutrient load will burn tips but we know that’s not the case with 700 ppm. That’s the beauty of running at that concentration because you can refer to the plant to see whether more or less is needed. Some plants are very N hungry and others not so much.

Check your runoff numbers when you water and always water to between 10 and 20% runoff.

Here’s where taking this data is useful: let me give you an example…

Plant is fed at 700 ppm. Runoff measures 500 ppm. Plant is consuming nutes and maintaining salt levels below input. Great!

Plant is fed at 700 ppm. Runoff measures 1,000 ppm. Time to flush excess salts and when runoff is at or below target (700 ppm), resume feeding.

Plant is fed at 700 ppm. Runoff measures 200 ppm. Plant is hungry and should bump feeding TDS up 100 ppm or so.

I’ve also, instead of flushing, done water-only while monitoring runoff until salts fall below 700 ppm. Without taking data in depth you won’t be able to see trends like this.

This is a moving target. Plant will do ALL of these things in a grow so yet another reason to keep a running data set.

Just a little trick experienced growers use.

3 Likes

Solid info!

Based on the recommended feeding schedule, f/f/f/w, i only use 1-2 pints of water as advised so theres no run off. now if i need to have some run off i’ll need to increase feeding amount so that i can get some run off.

Im currently feeding everyday and watering on the fourth day thats why it was advised to use 1-2 pints at a time. Now for run off what should i adjust it to?

1 Like

Plant is large enough IMO to water to runoff now. If you can; run 1/2 gallon or so through, capture the runoff and see how much came through. This will tell you how much to use.

2 Likes

Would you still suggest feeding everyday and watering on the 4th? if not can you please give me an idea of what it would it be if its not f/f/f/w if you dont mind?

Last time i used half a gallon there wasnt much run off, my pot is 7 gallons

1 Like

Then do enough to get runoff and remember how much it was.

When you transition to flower is when you want to go to f/w/f/w.

1 Like

Sounds good! you dont think if i use half a gallon or more everyday it wont be too much for the plant until i transition in 2-3 weeks?

Promix is designed for that. Your plant is large enough now. If you want to water every 2 days instead, the plant will be fine.

1 Like

New update!

May 17th
first time watering the plant with half gallon of pH-ed water at 6.0, now that its bigger in size.
run off was over 3000 ppm. run off pH was around 6.05

May 18th
Ran 3 gallons of pH-ed water at 6.0 to get rid of excess salt and minerals. run off was around 440 ppm (makes me wonder if i had the EC mode on when i was measuring ppm and thats why it came to over 3000ppm???)
Leaving the pot to dry for a couple of days

May 19th
Pruned

May 20th

May 21st
Noticed some yellowing/burning on the leaves edges and tips. could be from that excess salts and minerals i had to flush out. will keep an eye on new growth.

The pot doesnt feel as heavy as it used to be so I might just give it another day to dry as i wont be home tonight and water it tomorrow when i come back and measure the run off. If anyone suggests otherwise please feel free to give me your feedback and i could water it today before i leave

4 Likes

I’m a first time grower and I ordered a pot for pot set up which says all you have to do is add water because all nutrients are in the super soil. I set up another with coco coir and perlite and am using the General Hydroponics nutrient trio plus cal mag. My pop for pot girl is lime green where as my other is a nice rich green. Should I feed my pot for pot plant some extra nutrients?