Journal 1: First Grow Ever

Still giving her the same nutrients and amounts

Started transitionIng on the 10th and this is what she looks like now. Still no signs of white pistils.

I did want to get opinions on whether I should remove those two bottom branches as they haven’t been growing any bigger or showing any improvement. I marked them with red. Any suggestions?

Fed about 45 mins ago at 842 ppm pH was 5.97
Run off 820 ppm pH Was 6.27
![image|375x500]
(upload://eJAqLMfaqU3x2uG3fc0tXgDY6Aa.jpeg)

4 Likes

You could take them and do clones…very easy. But you’d need a small space you can light for 24/0 until rooted…

1 Like

I don’t have any cloning solution or a second tent or space unfortunately

I just noticed the pic didnt get uploaded
Its this one right here:

Should they go?
Theyre not as sturdy and strong as the others at all.

You could, if not in the way you could leave them too. I would also spread that plant out more (supercrop) before the light change or within 2 weeks or so of flipping to 12/12. Plant will stretch 30 to 50% so good to open up.

2 Likes

Just got my SCROG right now. I will supercrop as well.

Any recommendations or tips on what to do with the SCROG or should i go ahead watch some videos on youtube? Is it just to keep the canopy the same height by twisting and bending the stems and branches?

This is the design I’ve been using. It’s a two-piece adjustable that anchors to the fabric pot via zip ties and turns it into a single unit. This is ideal for moving them around which I tend to do a lot.

A SCROG is almost never used the way it was originally intended which was to allow side nodes on branches to develop their own branches in a flat plane. The advantages are: with gucci lights you can slam it down on the plant and get better canopy penetration. It supports large flowers. It opens the plant up for more light. It maximizes space by turning a round plant into a rectangular area. It keeps plants low for limited clearance growing.

I prefer to tuck up from below until screen is 90% full then flip to flower. If you look at a few pictures you’ll see a well filled out screen.

Post #1,001 shows screen being filled and can scroll from there to see progression.

Sorry; still can’t post pictures.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Quick update!

June 16th

Set up my SCROG and I feel like I didn’t set it up very well. The quality is not great and I had to cut it up as it was bigger than my tent.

I watered her with a gallon of dechlorinated water and 2.5 ml of CaliMag. Adjusted pH to 5.89

Run off was 638 ppm and pH was 6.24

I installed a second 6 inch clip fan for air flow and defoliated and pruned a lot and I also cut the bottom branches and stems as they weren’t getting enough light anyway. Some pictures are posted at the bottom of the post.
Here are some if my concerns and I hope someone can help me out:

1. I accidentally bent one of the main stems while I was adjusting her with the scrog and it kind of looks as if it got supercropped. I marked it with red. Would that be an issue or how can I resolve this damage before its too late?

2. I noticed that I need to move her a lot to measure run off and what not and the scrog is in the way. Should I get rid of the scrog for now? It really feels as if I set up super wrong or did the whole thing incorrectly.

3. On June 14th, watered her with 14 cups of water. No run off. June 15th 17.5 cups, 6.5-7 cups of run off. Today I watered using a galon (16 cups) only 2.5-2.75 run off. Why is this happening? Its not adding up at all to me.
    Please help! @Myfriendis410 @Hellraiser @dbrn32 @Zee @MrPeat @Not2SureYet @SKORPION

Peace!

3 Likes

That should heal itself. There are some plant trays with a separate collection tray underneath that can be removed. Is that something that would help you?

2 Likes

do you think i should leave it bent or assist it with something to stand up?
SCROG looks fine to you?

this one is removable but i have to keep lifting the plant and moving it sideways and what not and i feel like that will damage her unless thats what people usually do then let me know

1 Like

I’m not really a scrog person. If I was, woulda put it on earlier so it could be lower. Not something you’re gonna change now though, so don’t sweat it. Keep the tops horizontal under the screen and lowers should make it to canopy. You will probably like it more once that happens.

1 Like

Thanks buddy

1 Like

If you wanted to rework the SCROG it wouldn’t hurt. A couple of suggestions:

Use PVC, schedule 40 to build the screen. Drill holes 4" apart one way and 6" apart going the other. Use a single piece of nylon string and thread through holes and lace screen up. Nylon line will hold screen together with no fasteners. Having a tight, rectangular hole makes threading plant through screen easier.

If you use my design you can just pick the plant and it’s SCROG up as a single unit to do maintenance and whatnot.

4 Likes

Hey Ash93,

1. It’ll most likely heal up just fine, even stronger probably like how a broken bone heals

2. I’d stop moving her. I use a giant 300 ml syringe to collect runoff from under my fabric pots. I never move my plants once they are on the screen. Also don’t have to worry if you’re doing the screen “right” just use it to separate and support the branches and that’ll save you a lot of hassle in late flowering with heavy colas wanting to fall over.

3. I wouldn’t worry much about that, I like a bit of runoff with every watering so I’d just stick with 1 gal watering and and as long as a cup or more comes out I’d be happy. The real reason for different run-offs amount deal with hydrostatic pressure and how 1 amount of water will just stay in the pot but if you use just a little more water, it tends to grab onto the water in the pot and cause it to drain more than just the extra amount expected.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

@Hellraiser Using a syringe to drain it is a really great idea that i never thought of. Loving those tips. I came across another thing that you do, which is hanging your fans with ropes because clipping them is pretty annoying sometimes.

@Myfriendis410 I’ll give it a try. I’ll buy some PVC from some local store here and show you the final result in pictures sometime soon.

2 Likes

My tray drainer syringe, I taped a inch or 2 of air-line tubing to the end as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2N1SB3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Thanks a lot bud! Appreciate the info

1 Like

You can do the same thing with air line or long tipped syringe taped to wet dry shop vac to remove large amounts of runoff

1 Like

Quick update!

June 16th

Defoliated some more

Watered using dechlorinated galon of water with 2.5 ml of CaliMag
Adjusted pH to 5.89

Run off ppm 638 pH 6.24

June 17th

defoliated more

1 gal of water mixed with:
1ml armor Si
8ml micro
8ml gro
8ml bloom
2.5 lkb

Ppm came to 770 added 1/5 ml of each base nutrient. Came to 1000 ppm. Added 3.5 cups of water so ppm reduced to 900

Adjusted pH to 6.0 with .75 ml of pH down

Run off

A little over a cup and 3/4

1st cup of run of came to 983 ppm pH 6.2

3/4 cup came to 915 ppm and pH 6.25

4 cups not used which means total of 15.5 cups were used to feed. Maybe Increase ml for base nutrients by 8.25 per gal not 8.5

June 18th

Watered about 15 cups of water pH 6.0

Run off about 2/3 of a cup. Ppm came to 1230
And pH came to 6.06

She’s starting to show some pre flowering from the white pistils that are appearing as you can see in the pics below

1. Can someone please help me understand why yesterday’s run off was different for both ppm measurements. I collected a cup of run off and ppm was 983. The second sample from the same run off from the bottom tray was 915 ppm

2. In the last pic, is this normal for the leaves to look like that or is this some kind of mutation. Leaves kind of look funny to me.

3. Todays run off ppm was over ppm for input of yesterdays feed? Should I continue with watering and resume feeding once it drops to 700 or whats the next course of action for this phase, today marks 1 week of transition?

@Myfriendis410 @Hellraiser

Thanks in advance.

Peace!

1 Like

Hey ash93,

1. First bit of runoff will be higher than the runoff that follows.

2. Not normal, You do have a bit of mutation going on with plant, may grow out of it

3. I’d resume feeding after it drops below 700

1 Like